Shask

Reaction score
I feel that there are enough options to edit the tone that I can get many many tones that I like, but yes I do feel limietd to an extent.

the ENGL and Dual Rectifier are the only ones that I really use but those are what I would be using had I been able to afford 1. an axe fx and 2. a stack
I agree. Pretty much the Treadplate and Angel are the only high gain amps I use, and I barely like the Angel ;) I will be glad to see any more high gain amps they add to it.

I did recently get an Axe-FX, and I can say the Treadplate can sound VERY close to the Axe-FX Recto. Sadly, it seems like the Treadplate is a step above all the other high gain amps, IMO.

Of course, I play a Triple Recto also, so I am pretty picky and biased when it comes to Recto sounds, lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
do any of you guys who play strictly METAL, feel at all limited by the amp models of the HD series?

I don't own one(I LOVED my POD X3 though), but it keeps itching at me that there are only a few of the amps I'd even use... am I wrong?

The fireball, bogner and dual rectifier models give you a ton of different tones when you consider the deep editing parameters and available eq's etc.

That being said, a couple more models would be nice. I would gladly pay for them as an add on though, as my hd500 has more than paid for itself in my pleasure. I also have an Engl Powerball 2 head and it basically collects dust now that I have my hd.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I agree. Pretty much the Treadplate and Angel are the only high gain amps I use, and I barely like the Angel ;) I will be glad to see any more high gain amps they add to it.

I did recently get an Axe-FX, and I can say the Treadplate can sound VERY close to the Axe-FX Recto. Sadly, it seems like the Treadplate is a step above all the other high gain amps, IMO.

Of course, I play a Triple Recto also, so I am pretty picky and biased when it comes to Recto sounds, lol.

I find the treadplate almost the least useful of the high gain models. It doesn't cut through quite like the engl or bogner. And I'm pretty sure the demos I've posted have shown that the f-ball can do a very heavy tone.

I'm not so much of a djent player, but I'm positive that my tones could be extremely djenty with a different player.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
To piggyback off of what others have said, I think the HDs have a pretty good selection of high gain stuff and the tweaking makes things extra versatile.

I'd have to say my current favorite modern djenty tone is with the JCM800 model actually, which I think shows that you can do some pretty in depth fiddling with things. (And this is on the 300 with the least ability to tweak.)

innerdream

Reaction score
im getting a pod pro hd soon! looking forward to it and loosing lots of hours recording!

i did consider getting the axe fx 2 but the price and hassle to actually get it meant i went with the pod (for now).

i still will probably look to the axe in the future but going by reviews and vids on youtube, the pod still sounds killer

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
After weeks of tweaking I ended using Treadplate model for my Studio Direct and Live Stack setup.
Even though I was using Engl 530 for years before I bought Line6 and I love Engl Amps I find Angel model a bit harsh.

jl-austin

Reaction score
So I am trying to decide on an amp for just around the house. I really want a micro stack set up. The amps that I am considering are a little Marshall MG15 micro stack with an HD500, or just a engl gigmaster 30 (no floor pod). My question is, would the HD500 running through a cheaper amp sound good? Or should I just go with a small boutique amp?

I have used my podxt for recording for years, however, I have never considered it as nice as playing through a real amp for live type stuff. Great for recording, so so for live stuff. Is the HD500 better for using it for live type stuff?

ArrowHead

Reaction score
HD is more amp-like than the XT in it's responsiveness and tones.

As for "around the house", a micro-stack, even at low wattage, can tend to be loud enough to be a nuisance to others in the house, and are tough to get the best sound from at super low volumes. In these instances, the HD is invaluable, as it can get great tones out of my studio monitors at low volumes as well as headphones. Even on it's lowest settings, I cannot get a sound out of my 15 watt "practice amp" that does not interfere with my Fiance trying to watch television in the next room.

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
Maybe this should be in beginners section but:
Im torn between getting a mini-halfstack(tubes) or POD HD300+monitors. If I get a pod I need following three presets which must be foot-switchable during a song:
1) hi-gain model-effects needed: EQ, OD, gate(maybe two)
2) hi-gain solo tone-effects: EQ, OD, gate, delay, volume expression
3) crystal clean-effects: chorus, reverb
Thats it.

Can HD300 handle this? I know it is limited to 4 fx at time but I want to hear the truth from you guys :) Or do I need HD500?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I like the mesa the most too, then the über. Engl is too saturated and scoopy, not sure why they didnt model the powerballs instead

I have a powerball 2 head. It's not as good as it could be. It's been for sale since I got my hd500 actually lol no sense having a $2500 power amp....

PodHdBean

Reaction score
i can never get a tight bottom end from the uber if i do get a tight low end the high end just sounds too saturated
i guess thats just the sound there going for =/

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I find the treadplate almost the least useful of the high gain models. It doesn't cut through quite like the engl or bogner. And I'm pretty sure the demos I've posted have shown that the f-ball can do a very heavy tone.

I'm not so much of a djent player, but I'm positive that my tones could be extremely djenty with a different player.

Agree, my favourite is the Uber for sure, think I put it through the Mesa cab.

Zulphur

Reaction score
The soldano models are comming !!! crunch and overdrive channels from the SLO100

But they came first on the 300? why line6 why

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Maybe this should be in beginners section but:
Im torn between getting a mini-halfstack(tubes) or POD HD300+monitors. If I get a pod I need following three presets which must be foot-switchable during a song:
1) hi-gain model-effects needed: EQ, OD, gate(maybe two)
2) hi-gain solo tone-effects: EQ, OD, gate, delay, volume expression
3) crystal clean-effects: chorus, reverb
Thats it.

Can HD300 handle this? I know it is limited to 4 fx at time but I want to hear the truth from you guys :) Or do I need HD500?

You can't have both an OD pedal and EQ at the same time in HD300,as they are assigned to the same effect slot.Story of my life.

Consider getting the HD500

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
I bet some eq is a must even for live playing and practice? Recording is another story (Hi and lo-cut for a starter). Same for OD? Could I get good tone using just one of them? Lets say only OD? I know they are both necessary in pod farm+impulses.

Is the rest of my presets idea possible?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
How does the HD Pro relate to the Axe-FX Standard? I'm tight on money, so I'm wondering if I'm sacrificing too much if I sell the Standard and buy the HD Pro.

')