7SM

Reaction score
People that bitch about the POD HD PRO's not being able to produce quality sounds is astounding to me, maybe im just deaf, but what I am able to produce tone wise is pretty phenomenal compared to the $2,200 AXEFX. May come off as crass, but with the availability today of free impulses its really grinds my gears hearing thin fizzy guitars out of the pod HD as I have heard on countless examples.

Signal Chain is Ibanez RG 7620 > POD HD PRO, F-Ball PRE ONLY 57 off axis > Reaper > Poulin LeCab, Sneap Angled Impulse. All clean sounds are Chimps clean patch with an EBOW.

Poppin Fresh eBOW Addition by 7SM on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
People that bitch about the POD HD PRO's not being able to produce quality sounds is astounding to me, maybe im just deaf, but what I am able to produce tone wise is pretty phenomenal compared to the $2,200 AXEFX.

Signal Chain is Ibanez RG 7620 > POD HD PRO, F-Ball PRE ONLY 57 off axis > Reaper > Poulin LeCab, Sneap Angled Impulse

Poppin Fresh eBOW Addition by 7SM on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Granted, the Axe does have a slight (Read: Razor Thin) advantage above the POD, but I honestly think people want to believe that more $$$ = better sounds.

7SM

Reaction score
Granted, the Axe does have a slight (Read: Razor Thin) advantage above the POD, but I honestly think people want to believe that more $$$ = better sounds.

Razor thin as in need an electron microscope and fucking andy sneaps ears to differentiate, half the people I have showed what I am up too recently say "you got an axe-fx cool!" And I chuckle a bit and set them straight, that a simple POD HD bean with the right impulses can sound equally as good in the mix as any axe-fx, also lets not forget that 60-70% of people with an axefx couldn't mix to save their life, it compunds the belief that more $ equals better tone.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I agree, Pod HD + Impulses can rival Axe-FX in the right hands.

But then again, so can the Pod X3. Source: Bulb's test recording of his Blackmachine. Holy fuck that's good tone, and it's just an X3.

jeremyb

Reaction score
People that bitch about the POD HD PRO's not being able to produce quality sounds is astounding to me, maybe im just deaf, but what I am able to produce tone wise is pretty phenomenal compared to the $2,200 AXEFX. May come off as crass, but with the availability today of free impulses its really grinds my gears hearing thin fizzy guitars out of the pod HD as I have heard on countless examples.

Signal Chain is Ibanez RG 7620 > POD HD PRO, F-Ball PRE ONLY 57 off axis > Reaper > Poulin LeCab, Sneap Angled Impulse. All clean sounds are Chimps clean patch with an EBOW.

Clean stuff sounds really cool with the ebow, link to patch???

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

That's pretty good out of the pre only model. I've got some pretty beefy tones out of my onboard ir's but I've definitely also heard some thin fizzy stuff all over.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I won't say "should", because I could be wrong.

I'll just say that's what I do. Or actually, I might just pan them both to center. I think the POD sums to mono when you use only one output.

I need to check that for you ... or perhaps one of the smarter dudes like Bobbo or Kitten can chime in.

The mixer takes in two stereo channels (A and B) and outputs one stereo channel. The pan control for each channel only reduces the volume of the left or right half of the signal. With them both panned center, the signal is unaltered, just mixed with the other channel and output from the mixer. If it's panned full left, the right half of the signal is dropped completely. So the stereo natures of each channel are preserved through the mixer if panned center. For your applications, I would leave the pan like you want it for recording or stereo use. For live use, if you use a single 1/4" output, you'll get everything mixed to mono. If you want to use XLR output, try to send both. Let the sound man mix it down, or maybe keep stereo if possible. If you need to use one XLR, then pan each channel in the Pod full left or full right and use that output. OR add a mono-summing effect as the last block of your chain. For example, use a Noise Gate and set threshold to min so it doesn't really do anything, other than merge the stereo signal to mono.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
hey man, what amp are you using? sounds really clear and I would like to give it a try :D (im having a few issues regarding clarity and ''oomph'' with the POD :( )

He clearly stated dc800. And I'm pretty sure he posted the patch a bit further down the page ;)

jbrin0tk

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but what is an impulse, or an IR? I keep hearing about these and cannot find out what they mean. I am a fairly recent new owner of a POD HD500 and am fascinated by all of the different things it can do. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer. Much appreciated.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
@RickySigs: I think that by DC 800 he is referring to his Carvin :lol: , but thanks for pointing out that he uploaded the preset, although I just have the HD 400 :(

@jbrin0tk: same question here :p, there aren't stupid questions........except maybe ''how can I djent?''

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
I agree, Pod HD + Impulses can rival Axe-FX in the right hands.

But then again, so can the Pod X3. Source: Bulb's test recording of his Blackmachine. Holy fuck that's good tone, and it's just an X3.

That's true!! I love the sound of my HD Pro. Never tried with external IRs but I think I'll do.

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a new track I wrote. All guitars are recorded with POD HD and I used a condenser microphone for the vocals. I also used ezDrummer and Reaper to mix everything.

I want to thank MeAmBobbo because I used his John Petrucci Rhythm patch that he provided (MeAmBobbo PodHD Tone Demo) and I couldn't be happier.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
hey man, what amp are you using? sounds really clear and I would like to give it a try :D (im having a few issues regarding clarity and ''oomph'' with the POD :( )

Hey dude! I posted a link the patch. Here it is again! http://line6.com/customtone/tone/220555/
Took me quite a bit of trial and error to figure things out. My first attempts sounded horrendous compared to what I finally achieved :lol:

If you can't load the patch the main tone is coming from the bomber uber model. I also have the treadplate model running quieter (-14.5 db) to give the tone some of that rectifier bite. XXL cab + 57 off axis for the bomber and tread cab with 57 off axis for the treadplate.

Signal chain > Red comp > noise gate > screamer > noise gate > amps > mixer > studio eq > studio eq

Used studio eq to cut a bit at 75hz and 200hz and boosted 700hz and 5000hz.

All trial and error.

RedSkull

riffs master
Reaction score
latest mix test used along Ezdrummer Metal Machine

line6_mixdown bass -5 snare ez 1.mp3

I already dropped it in the recording section but what the heck, this is some serious metal direct out of the POD HD all by himself.

A little salute to MF_Kitten for the general suggestion of using the 3.5M impedance, works great so far

polarbeast666

Reaction score
hey so I had a great settings and i tweaked it a bit on my podhd500 and now i dont like the tone anymore, how to I get it back to how it was before (it was saved on the pod yes)

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
hey so I had a great settings and i tweaked it a bit on my podhd500 and now i dont like the tone anymore, how to I get it back to how it was before (it was saved on the pod yes)

This is why I save backup patch files... If you didn't, you have to remember it and re-tweak!

')