meambobbo

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a new track I wrote. All guitars are recorded with POD HD and I used a condenser microphone for the vocals. I also used ezDrummer and Reaper to mix everything.

I want to thank MeAmBobbo because I used his John Petrucci Rhythm patch that he provided (MeAmBobbo PodHD Tone Demo) and I couldn't be happier.

sounds great - glad I could help

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ballstien

American ....in Slag
Reaction score
I've had mine for about 3 months now and after alot of tweaking i've dialed in some pretty sweet tones in my opinion. The engl and dual recto are honestly the only way to go if you want a tighter punchy sound. also remember to EQ the hell out post amp signal path. :)

meambobbo

Reaction score
I've had mine for about 3 months now and after alot of tweaking i've dialed in some pretty sweet tones in my opinion. The engl and dual recto are honestly the only way to go if you want a tighter punchy sound. also remember to EQ the hell out post amp signal path. :)

only a sith deals in absolutes

acoldbloodykiller

Reaction score
Hey guys i just got my HD pro delivered. i was wondering if you guys could help me build a good tone out of it. also if i intend to use it for recording do i need to use a power amp or can i just go direct?
im into playing stuff like textures , august burns red , killswitch engage so i was looking for a tone like that. any specific amps should i start with? presets? i'd be grateful if you guys could share your patches as well. cheers

meambobbo

Reaction score
Except the absolute that you must use Cab Impulses if you want it to rival anything near an axe-fx, but if you do, you will be rewarded.

While I do not own any Axe-FX, I would contest that statement. The built-in cabs on the Pod are fairly weak on their own, but when combining 2 of them and tweaking their DEP's, I find they rival singular 3rd party IR's. This is not to say the situation is IDEAL, only that one does not NEED 3rd party IR's or cab simulation to rival the high-end gear.

jbrin0tk

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I asked this back on the last page but go no response, so I figured I would try again. What are impulses, cab impulses, and IR's? I keep hearing about these (the posts above mine, for example) but cannot figure out what they are. I've tried Google, etc., and haven't really found much. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks, guys.

Shask

Reaction score

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
While I do not own any Axe-FX, I would contest that statement. The built-in cabs on the Pod are fairly weak on their own, but when combining 2 of them and tweaking their DEP's, I find they rival singular 3rd party IR's. This is not to say the situation is IDEAL, only that one does not NEED 3rd party IR's or cab simulation to rival the high-end gear.

Not to mention that a lot of guys use their hd's live as don't have the option to use external ir's.

Anyone that can't get a good tone out of the built in cabs is just lazy.

7SM

Reaction score
Yes one is just lazy, but also achieving a superior sound in the end, without scooping or eq'ing out everything to get it to sit right in the mix. Live I would not know what the new HD's sound like as its been a long time, but I used to use the Flextone II back in the day, it was a wednesday, it sat right in the live mix easy.

I just think that for a majority of modern metal Cab Impulses are the way to go.

meambobbo

Reaction score
An IR or impulse response is the isolated response of an environment to an impulse signal passed through it. It has a wide variety of applications, even outside of audio. It has become popular for musicians mainly to model guitar speakers/cabinets, but also is often used for reverbs as well.

For cab modeling, a sine wave sweep through the audible frequency spectrum, or a sequence of tones is the impulse. It is run through a relatively transparent (no distortion/compression/artifacts added) power amp into the cab to be modeled, which is mic'ed up. Note that the mic being used to record the signal is also going to be modeled, as well as its angle/position, and the power amp. That's why a transparent power amp is used - so that it is basically unnoticeable in the final product.

Deconvolution is used to remove the impulse signal from the recorded signal, and you end up with just the impulse response. Then you can run a different input signal into a convolution reverb that convolves the input signal with the impulse response, and you get the effect that the input signal is being run through the modeled cabinet/mic.

The Pod HD's onboard cabs likely do use some sort of convolution and impulse response files. What most people are clammoring is for 3rd party IR's to be loaded into the Pod HD. 3rd Parties have created IR's that many would say are superior to the Pod HD's onboard cab/mic simulations, and they additionally have far more options.

For instance, the RedWirez Big Box set of IR's contains an order of magnitude greater number of cabs modeled, and each cab is modeled with a much wider variety of mics, and for each cab/mic combination, there are a wide variety of mic position, angle, and distances. This is in addition to what appears to be a far superior quality of the IR's, as they capture the entire frequency spectrum.

In contrast, the Pod HD's onboard cabs seem weak at certain points in the frequency spectrum and can also sound quite noisy.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I have focused exclusively on using the Pod onboard cabs for my tones because...

a) I wanted to be able to share my patches with others without having to tell them, "If you want to use my patches, you also need to buy ____ and ____ " etc.

b) I want a portable solution. Using a laptop runs into issue (a) as well as stability and durability concerns, and also requires making sure the audio interface used does not introduce too much latency into the signal. I have a good interface for my desktop, but it requires a PCI card that I can't put in a laptop. I'm sure there are good interfaces for a laptop out there, but I just can't shake the feeling I'd be compromising.

c) I like a wide variety of tones, which means switching cabs at the press of a footswitch. Yes, I know I could run Midi to a computer to potentially have it switch 3rd party IR's, but that's a pain to set up and I doubt it would work as well as switching patches on the Pod.

d) IR processing takes up a lot of computer horsepower, which I'd prefer to keep available for other effects when recording.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
shit, that was awesome .___.

are you using the stock Uber Cab?

Im currently torn between using a Mesa + Uber, or Mesa + ENGL

Charlez

Reaction score
shit, that was awesome .___.

are you using the stock Uber Cab?

Im currently torn between using a Mesa + Uber, or Mesa + ENGL

Both of them with the Tread V-30 cab. One of them with an SM57 On axis and the other with the 409

jbrin0tk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys on impulses, guys. Much appreciated. So, if I understand correctly, you can only use them when hooked to a laptop? You can't download them onto the pod like the patches you can get at customtone?

')