surfthealien

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

meambobbo

Reaction score

meambobbo

Reaction score
not yet - i actually don't intend to do so, but i do intend to replicate my main setlist using "no cab" and using external IR's instead at some point. I'll leave it to individuals to tweak those patches for their gear. I'll likely use the "full" amp models but it's pretty easy to change them to the "pre" models, although I would prefer to reduce the Master DEP, so you retain the other DEPs' effect on the tone.

I've said in a couple places that L6 management might be idiots. I mean why make your product so convoluted and locked down? Where's a mono reverb that takes half the DSP? Why is ER always enabled? Why are the amp/cab blocks mixed together? What's up with the signal routing scheme? Why are EQ parameters in "%", not HZ/db? The forums are clamoring with arguments and redundant questions. The search function is a joke, and the experts are tired of answering mundane questions or participating at all.

Combine this with the company's decision to break into a market they've never touched before with a $2,500 mixer that professionals will have to completely retrain themselves to use, dedicated significant resources to such a risk while they have a potential golden goose that while they've provided good things for still haven't touched upon the simple things and offered users a better way to overcome the #1 issues: DSP issues and cab/mic simulation quality.

I have offered to code up some of the small changes that people have asked for. I've offered to make guides for the DT-XX amps provided they send me one. I've even asked if I could have some kind of contact with the company just to see if I could use graphics from HD Edit on my guide site. No response across the board.

I've been thinking of making an open source project for music-based DSP processing, including modeling.

ArrowHead

Reaction score
Combine this with the company's decision to break into a market they've never touched before with a $2,500 mixer that professionals will have to completely retrain themselves to use

It's aimed at exactly the market they know: GB bands and church players.

It's just not aimed at us, like most of their gear.

The line 6 forum is terrible. I get a chuckle every time I see you people posting something useful over there, realizing in a month I'll NEVER be able to find it again. The forum used to be a lot better, they made it this bad on purpose - that baffles me.

Reaction score
Yeah, there is no excuse for the shitty IR's when some guy in his basement can do better. I also wonder why they cant do better than the afx. Surely L6 has exponentially more money than thataxfxguy did for development? Dont get me wrong, Im happy with the pod, but when random guys in their basement are doing a better job than a multimillion dollar company...there is something wrong there.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
I might need to post a video or something because I am completely satisfied with my tone of Uber+XXL+57off axis. I've never liked the dual cabs, with the exception of Meambobo's patches. But still even those i don't feel are on a whole other level than my patches.
Granted, i don't have as much experience with a real amp as any of you guys. :lol:
It's also my opinion which is probably way different than your guys'.
I mean Stealth, were those patches i sent you awhile ago decent when ran direct?

Reaction score
Im happy with my tones, and I dug the patch but what Im saying is that a company with millions of dollars should not be getting raped by fractal (a guy who had little capital to start)

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Oh yeah, i can understand that. I think that if they actually spent some time developing something in the league of the axe fx, they would actually make a lot of money. Especially because of the fact that they are a big company, and their name would be spread around more than Fractal.
But companies like them never want to spend money. :shrug:

Lianoroto

Reaction score
Oh yeah, i can understand that. I think that if they actually spent some time developing something in the league of the axe fx, they would actually make a lot of money. Especially because of the fact that they are a big company, and their name would be spread around more than Fractal.
But companies like them never want to spend money. :shrug:

You do realize that Fractal Audio probably isn't even close to earning the same amount that Line 6 is? Their products are hitting all the right markets at the right price, and even though some of us would like more out of their products, they wouldn't need to keep us happy to still be able to sell their Pods in the future.

Also, owning an Axe-fx doesn't make you a god of tones. A good ear goes a long way with any equipment. The average Axe-fx owner does not create better sounding patches than the average Pod owner, IMO of course. Some people just have problems with owning the "next best" when they think something better exists.

Line 6 is in no way getting raped by Fractal. Forums like this one just don't paint a very accurate picture of how trends are in the real world.

That being said, if I weren't brought up to be overly sensible with my money, I would also be an Axe-fx owner today. Lucky for me, Line 6 sells their products at a price and quality that makes it, at least for me, a no-brainer what product to choose.

If I get to a point where I can't improve my tone, and I still ain't happy with it, then I might get something else. Just my :2c:.

Lianoroto

Reaction score
After having tried both...the afx does rape the pod imo. Especially fx wise.

Hey, not saying the modeling isn't different than what Line 6 does. The Axe-fx definitely has a good thing going for it. I'm just saying that Fractal Audio as a company is in no position to rape Line 6 at the moment. Line 6 just has such a big share in a part of the modeling-market that the Axe-fx doesn't hit at all. For most people it is no contest when it comes to availability and bang for the buck.

I do have to agree with you on the IRs being a little iffy. Messing with the DEP does help, but a custom IR-loader would really hit the spot. Hoping it is in the works, but I'm guessing they wouldn't want us knowing what resolution their IRs are really at.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Hey, not saying the modeling isn't different than what Line 6 does. The Axe-fx definitely has a good thing going for it. I'm just saying that Fractal Audio as a company is in no position to rape Line 6 at the moment. Line 6 just has such a big share in a part of the modeling-market that the Axe-fx doesn't hit at all. For most people it is no contest when it comes to availability and bang for the buck.

I do have to agree with you on the IRs being a little iffy. Messing with the DEP does help, but a custom IR-loader would really hit the spot. Hoping it is in the works, but I'm guessing they wouldn't want us knowing what resolution their IRs are really at.

In fact, i believe Fractal has to pay Line 6 to do digital amp modeling, due to patent stuff. I think all digital modelers have to do that.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to dig into Meambobbo's dual cab setlist this weekend!!

If you haven't tried it - Do it! Now!

After tweaking some of his patches with the Dual Rec patches, I set up a few with the Uber (as I really want to copy my 5150's tone). It's pretty damn close. Closer than anyone who isn't sitting there with a 5150 would be able to tell, anyway.

Great work, Meambobbo!:bowdown:

Reaction score

I was not talking about market share at all. I was talking about quality. Im not sure how that was unclear :lol:

')