This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Do you do any post eq on your guitar tracks in the mixing stage? Regarding your Soundcloud recordings. They sound great!

I do a very small cut from 7000hz and up on the guitars, but that's it. You could get the same result from the mid focus eq :) and thank you! Always good to hear som positives about my tracks :shred:

Allealex

Reaction score
Hey bud. Hope I can shed some light on this. I dual tracked the guitars hard left and hard right and tracked a FAT bass tone dead centre. The pickup I used was an EMG 81 in the bridge. Guitars in drop C.

I think the bass makes a huge difference. Here is the same clip without the bass. If you compare the two you will hear what I mean.

Joshua's 6505 Tone No Bass by SeaEater on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Well, there is a difference, but your tone sounds way better than mine, but i've to admit that you're better in playing too :metal: anyway, i think that i've to read the Meanbobbo's guide again :)

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. I thought I'd post this here instead of making a whole new thread.

I'm thinking about replacing my tired sounding PODxt Live; the more I listen to it the more I despise its fizz. I've narrowed down my choices to the HD400 and HD500.

The 400 is looking like the winner seeing as it's €100 cheaper, plus there is a lot of stuff on the 500 that I wouldn't see myself using as my Line6 KB37 handles mic inputs and whatnot.

The lower user writeable preset locations on the 400 doesn't bother me; I wouldn't be using the 500's Varix input, S/PDIF output or MIDI controls.

Are their any limitations of the HD400 compared to my old xt Live?
Do the 400 and 500 have access to the same effects and amps?
EDIT: I've read that there are issues with running the 400 through a power-amp. Something about not being able to turn off the cabs unlike older models and the 500. Would anyone care to elaborate?
Will I be able to do the same level of patch creation as seen in this Chimpspanner video (HD Pro)?

After all that would I be correct in assuming that the HD400 is the right choice for me?

piggins411

Reaction score
Just a random question: Has anyone tried to get a Stadium Arcadium era John Frusciante type lead like so: ?
Also, note I only have a 400. If not and someone could take a crack at it, it would be much appreciated

SDSM

Reaction score

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all. I thought I'd post this here instead of making a whole new thread.

I'm thinking about replacing my tired sounding PODxt Live; the more I listen to it the more I despise its fizz. I've narrowed down my choices to the HD400 and HD500.

The 400 is looking like the winner seeing as it's €100 cheaper, plus there is a lot of stuff on the 500 that I wouldn't see myself using as my Line6 KB37 handles mic inputs and whatnot.

The lower user writeable preset locations on the 400 doesn't bother me; I wouldn't be using the 500's Varix input, S/PDIF output or MIDI controls.

Are their any limitations of the HD400 compared to my old xt Live?
EDIT: I've read that there are issues with running the 400 through a power-amp. Something about not being able to turn off the cabs unlike older models and the 500. Would anyone care to elaborate?
Will I be able to do the same level of patch creation as seen in this Chimpspanner video (HD Pro)?

After all that would I be correct in assuming that the HD400 is the right choice for me?

Bottom line, spend the extra money and get the 500. Not only are you limited on how many fx blocks, but your very limited to where you can put them. Not to mention that you can't do dual amps/cabs. VERY worth the extra money.

Also, the 500 will give you everything the pro does except for one or two ins/outs and you DO get the expression pedal as well as footswitchablenessss.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
-The 400 and 500 have the same effects and amps, however with the 400 you are limited to only one amp at a time and one effect from each block. The 500 can run any effect in any order.

-There isn't a problem with using the 400 with a power amp any more. The latest firmware allows you to select "no cab".

-You can achieve the same level of creation with the 500. The 400 would not be able to run that patch because it uses two pitch glides, which are in the same block. The effects blocks place some pretty stifling limitations on what you can do. As Ricky said, the difference between the 500 and pro comes down to I/O options. The difference between the 400 and 500 is much greater.

Also, just wanted to say hi. I remember you from back in the day on Airsoft Retreat. Funny to see somebody on forums for two weird, specialized hobbies.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Bottom line, spend the extra money and get the 500. Not only are you limited on how many fx blocks, but your very limited to where you can put them. Not to mention that you can't do dual amps/cabs. VERY worth the extra money.

Also, the 500 will give you everything the pro does except for one or two ins/outs and you DO get the expression pedal as well as footswitchablenessss.

Thanks. When you connect the HD500 to a computer via USB can the two amps be sent separately to different channels in a DAW for mixing or are they summed?

Do you know of any examples of the dual amp function? There's an absolute dearth of videos on YouTube showing it.

nic0us

Reaction score
I have been searching an answer to this question here and overall in the internet, but I haven't found a correct answer yet so I made this thread.

Since I find Axe-Fx II too expensive for my budget, I thought about getting the POD. My plan would be to run it through the 6505 into my Marshall cab.

I already found out that you can use ampheads (such as 6505) to power Axe-Fx, but I'm not sure if it works like same with the POD. And if it does, would be anyone also tell how to connect all correctly? I mean, from which input to what output and so on. Thanks in advance for answering.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I have been searching an answer to this question here and overall in the internet, but I haven't found a correct answer yet so I made this thread.

Since I find Axe-Fx II too expensive for my budget, I thought about getting the POD. My plan would be to run it through the 6505 into my Marshall cab.

I already found out that you can use ampheads (such as 6505) to power Axe-Fx, but I'm not sure if it works like same with the POD. And if it does, would be anyone also tell how to connect all correctly? I mean, from which input to what output and so on. Thanks in advance for answering.

It's a pretty simple proposition really, you just have to change your output to PWR AMP STACK and setup your amp models to the PRE versions. Run the 1/4" out (either right or left) to the Effects Loop return.

For a more flexible setup, use the 4 cable method to run the POD into the front of the amp and the amp into the pod and back. That method allows you to choose your amp's preamp or pod models on a per-patch basis. That would, for instance, allow you to use the HiWatt or Fender clean and your 6505's rightous drive channel. It also lets you put effects in their proper places - ODs in front of the amps, time-based effects in the loop.

WarMachine

Reaction score
It's a pretty simple proposition really, you just have to change your output to PWR AMP STACK and setup your amp models to the PRE versions. Run the 1/4" out (either right or left) to the Effects Loop return.

For a more flexible setup, use the 4 cable method to run the POD into the front of the amp and the amp into the pod and back. That method allows you to choose your amp's preamp or pod models on a per-patch basis. That would, for instance, allow you to use the HiWatt or Fender clean and your 6505's rightous drive channel. It also lets you put effects in their proper places - ODs in front of the amps, time-based effects in the loop.
^This. Everything here is 100% right dude. I do the same thing with my 5150 using a Rocktron Chameleon 2000 and i have yet to find or compete with a tone that can top it, but that's just my opinion. If you decide to just run with the tones of the POD and just use the Peavey for a tube power amp then you want to avoid the 4CM. Just comes down to how you prefer to run it. One thing that the 5150/6505 has on most other tube power amps i have used so far is that you can really shape your overall tone way differently just because of the resonance and presence controls. By running it through just the loop return you are bypassing the 6505's preamp and just using its power section and you will control the volume with your POD. Enjoy man, its KILLER that way!:agreed:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks. When you connect the HD500 to a computer via USB can the two amps be sent separately to different channels in a DAW for mixing or are they summed?

Do you know of any examples of the dual amp function? There's an absolute dearth of videos on YouTube showing it.

It will send both amps to one channel in the daw. Or at least it does in cubase le4 for me.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Here is my guitar tone with your Mesa patch on the HD. Just a triple tracks sample track, no bass.

Sound alright to you guys? Looking for advice on getting a good tone going for my SC-607B and I figure this is the best place to ask.

POD HD Mesa patch Tone test by SDSM on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Did you just do three tracks all in the center? If so, you should really do either just 2 or 4 tracks and pan them equally hard left/hard right.

Also, try mixing the tones. A tone that may not sound good to you on its own may mix extremely well with another. For example, I use 2x Mesa patch on the right and 2x f-ball patch on the left on one of my tracks on my soundcloud and they sound fantastic together.

')