Usernames sucks

Reaction score
Hi, i have figured out that using my krk rokit studio monitors is just complicated, cause i have my pc in, they are not so powerful, they come from 2 places, so it dosent feel like an amp. I have been thinking about getting a floor monitor for my hd500. So from the xlr out it would be: Right xlr: floor monitor Left xlr: audio interface. This means that it feels more like an amp, and i can use the floor monitor to monitor myself while recording, just like a miced amp would feel. I just wonder, will this work? If you have units like the axe fx, would it still work? If yes, what floor monitor around 300$ (if thats enough money), would you reccomend? I assume all of them are full range flat response.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
How good is the the POD HD500 for recording real amps via the microphone input?

And before anyone tells me to just use the POD's onboard modeling, I'm just curious about how good the POD is for microphones.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Something I've been working on.Guitars is an ESP Grassroots with some shitty INF4 and INF3 pups for bridge and neck respectively ,bass is a shitty Granite 4 string with one P-style pup.I did some post-processing too (a little EQ,post compression and a little reverb).

https://soundcloud.com/dimitris-chaviaras/insert-witty-working-title

Do you think the guitars need less high end?

The distorted bass patch is something I built using the low and high channels when solo'd in the following video:

If you enjoyed the guitar and/or bass patch tell me and I'll share

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
How good is the the POD HD500 for recording real amps via the microphone input?

And before anyone tells me to just use the POD's onboard modeling, I'm just curious about how good the POD is for microphones.

I had planned on trying it for a long time, but then sold my amp before I did. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Even try out the tube pre with it.

The only problem is that you don't have a level monitor, so it would be easy to clip the input.

Semikiller

Reaction score
Haven't been able to record anything in ages because I recently joined the military. Just got my pod hd back in my dorm in tech school so now I can record stuff again! I'm really happy with the new updates/sounds since I last used the pod hd back in early 2012. I think I'm getting really close to my target sound, at least for rhythm guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/ahhlecks/forever_ago_wip

japs5607

Reaction score
So I finally got to try my pod hd out tonight with my new matrix power amp. I have to say I was a little disappointed at first. The clean tones came across really loud and clear which was perfect. But all my distorted patches all sounded weak. It was only by increasing the volume on the mixer within the pod that I could get some decent punch. Previously I was using my 6505 power amp and had no loss of volume when switching clean to distorted. Is this just going to be a case of tweaking all my patches ?

Thanks.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
I'm still in the process of getting acquainted with my HD500 after having it for a few days. I'm amazed of the sounds it can produce yet intimidating at the same time because I'm almost at the point that I want to start to make my own patches but I don't feel like I know what I'm doing...yet.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Wowsers. These clips are srsly teh br00tz

Btw Ricky, I put the crunch lab/ liquifire combo in my ebmm. Sounds amazing

Rizza

Reaction score
So I just bought my new Pod HD Pro off Sweetwater. It's amazing and simply the best piece of gear I've purchased thus far. However I think I may have received a faulty unit. the fx loop send and return seems to be malfunctioning. I first tried to line in my ts9 and set that into the signal chain I would get no sound. I read the manual extensively on this so I know I did it correctly i.e. mix was up send and return levels were correct and all that. And also I know it's not my pedal because I tried it with several other pedals and they all did the same. I turned off the pod then restarted it. I played and all the sudden I would get sound for only a quick second then nothing again.

This occurred a couple times more. I restarted the pod again and it magically worked without me doing anything else. So I continued using the pod and forgot about it. Then today I start it up and now I'm getting no sound. had to reboot the pod a couple times to get it work. What the hell man?! I know Sweetwater will replace it for me if it is a faulty unit, but it's a complete buzz kill coz I love it other than that. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
here's a clip from the rehearsal. POD HD Pro, Live stack mode, Tube poweramp, 2 cabs short delayed

Cindarl

Reaction score
Hi, I have a couple of questions concerning my new pod hd pro. I tried to look for answers from this thread but I gave up after reading 50 or so pages.

I'd like to replace my old amp (Roland cube 60) with this pod and I'm wondering which "method" should I use to play without headphones. I mean I borrowed an active speaker (dB technologies basic 400) from my friend to try it before I buy anything. Is it possible to play with this kind of a speaker or do you suggest studio monitors instead? It seems that a lot of people prefer studio monitors. I tried this borrowed speaker and it sounds a little "buzzy" or like there was too much bass, it could just be the settings though (I really just tried it). I tried both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I mostly play at home nowadays since we don't have a place to practice with my band, but I'd like to know is it any good when the pod is put directly into PA when playing with a band? We play mostly high-gain stuff.

This is my first post here, sorry for these potentially stupid questions, I hope this makes any sense, but thanks for the answers anyway! :)

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Hi, I have a couple of questions concerning my new pod hd pro. I tried to look for answers from this thread but I gave up after reading 50 or so pages.

I'd like to replace my old amp (Roland cube 60) with this pod and I'm wondering which "method" should I use to play without headphones. I mean I borrowed an active speaker (dB technologies basic 400) from my friend to try it before I buy anything. Is it possible to play with this kind of a speaker or do you suggest studio monitors instead? It seems that a lot of people prefer studio monitors. I tried this borrowed speaker and it sounds a little "buzzy" or like there was too much bass, it could just be the settings though (I really just tried it). I tried both balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I mostly play at home nowadays since we don't have a place to practice with my band, but I'd like to know is it any good when the pod is put directly into PA when playing with a band? We play mostly high-gain stuff.

This is my first post here, sorry for these potentially stupid questions, I hope this makes any sense, but thanks for the answers anyway! :)

There are lots of different approaches that one could take with the HD 500 (including the option where you just plug into the venue's PA!), and according to a great load of youtubers, SSOrg'ers, it can do well in any type of environment, with one caveat:

If you build a tone with the HD 500, it will 99% of the time only sound good with the medium you built it on. Meaning, if you build a really good tone using some headphones, and then on jamday take your HD500 to a buddy's house to play through his high-end amp or something and use that patch, it's gonna sound like total shit.

I'm gonna highly recommend you purchase decent studio monitors since they have a 'flat response'. What this means is that there is close to zero 'coloration' of the sound-- it's being played through a speaker that is designed to produce the exact sound that your signal chain is producing. With all sorts of switch and swap cab impulses, amp modelers, effects and the like, it's highly beneficial for you to get a setup like this. Not only will you have an easier time eventually dialing in your mixes for a refined product, but you will be able to listen to albums + the like as they were intended to be heard.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't, please leave me some followup questions!

And PS: Welcome to the board!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I had planned on trying it for a long time, but then sold my amp before I did. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Even try out the tube pre with it.

The only problem is that you don't have a level monitor, so it would be easy to clip the input.

I can probably get passed that. Thanks for the tip.

Fraz

Reaction score
Put a Line 6 Drive in front of an Uber with the following settings:
Drive 0, Bass 30, Mids 70, Treble 75, Output 100

Adjust the Amp DEPs on the Uber as follows:
Master:45, Sag: 60, Hum: 60, Bias: 40, Bias X: 60

Does that not sound near identical to a 5150 to you?
Okay I know it was posted a long time ago but I only just found it. THANKYOU! Night and day difference compared with my old patch, sounds awesome through the xxl cab with the sm57 off axis :D

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I've said it before, but the redwirez impulses are so freakin great. I've even found that I like a speaker MORE than the trusty v30.... I'm a huge fan of the eminence legend v12's in the soldano cabs.

That being said, I now understand everyone's frustration with not being able to load custom impulses, and I think I'll write the company and complain lol

Purelojik

Reaction score
hey guys i was making a patch for my les paul with some custom SD pickups in it and realized that i've never tweaked the pod hd with this guitar. so i started from scratch and i think its sounding good.

i need your help to see what else i could do, i've lost a bit of objectivitiy while jamming with it too much.

here's the tone i've been working on with my chambered mahog les paul with custom seymour duncan pickups
https://soundcloud.com/shehatesmytie/idea-1-5

my usual tone is this with my mahogany 7 string with aftermaths.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
EDIT: Does the Pod HD Pro work good as a bass rig?
I want to use it for lemmy and Dick lovgren tones.

')