ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Took some info I found about Criss' (Oliva, Savatage) sound and made my 1st attempt at it. What I read was that he always played with amp head on clean and used 2 Boss Super Overdrives, one with the tone rolled all the way off, and one with the one all the way on. In the L6 edit's case, I used the "Screamer" model (was the only dist i could see that had the "tone" knob). Then the regular reverb, compression, etc. I basically did that in the software using the "Solo 100 Clean" amp with a 4x12 Greenback + 57 off-axis.

In this sample, I'm playing along with Savatage's Gutter Ballet mp3 (256k) and my guitar is panned all the way left. Personally, I'm happy w/ the tone...it may not be exact...but it damn sure blends well with the tones in the song.

https://soundcloud.com/ghostred7/gutter-ballet-tone-sample

gutterb-screen_zpsa9202dc4.jpg

EDIT: haven't played this song in years, so i'm suckin' hardcore on it lol
EDIT2: playing aside, the more I realize it needs something else...chorus or something maybe. Thoughts?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bklixuz

Reaction score
thanks sage!

i also have found a thread where he preferred his modeller to his jsx rather than a PA • View topic - did Satch ask peavey to make the power amp of the JSX Flat? im guess it works too with the pod?

but id like to use the pod to its full potential so i will be plugging it to the keyboard amp. is there a big difference in sound if using the balanced output compared to the unbalanced output? coz the KB100 only has 1 xlr input so i can only use either of the left/right balanced outputs of the pod.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
thanks sage!

i also have found a thread where he preferred his modeller to his jsx rather than a PA • View topic - did Satch ask peavey to make the power amp of the JSX Flat? im guess it works too with the pod?

but id like to use the pod to its full potential so i will be plugging it to the keyboard amp. is there a big difference in sound if using the balanced output compared to the unbalanced output? coz the KB100 only has 1 xlr input so i can only use either of the left/right balanced outputs of the pod.

There is no difference in sound on either output. Also, don't let anyone tell you that you can you the full model rather than the pre only model when using a power amp. The pre only models sound like shit. Just disable your cab modeling if going into the jsx.

My advice though, just sell the jsx and buy a power amp to use with your cabinet.

Chuck

Reaction score
Hey duders, I'm looking for some help on how to setup a death metal-y, techy sorta rhythm patch. I would really it to sound something like this:

Any tips?

I already have a pretty sweet rhythm patch, but I want to try something different.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Haha 3? Dang

Well all right, will do.

Thanks Cybersyn!

Probably 90% of every album you listen to is recorded with mixed tones. Try mixing your favorite midsy, thick tone with a slightly scooped djenty tone. You'll be pleased.

However, you have to be realistic about your tweaking. You can't expect the same tone as a multi tracked, mastered track in just one live track.

Chuck

Reaction score
Probably 90% of every album you listen to is recorded with mixed tones. Try mixing your favorite midsy, thick tone with a slightly scooped djenty tone. You'll be pleased.

However, you have to be realistic about your tweaking. You can't expect the same tone as a multi tracked, mastered track in just one live track.

Ok sweet. And yeah I'm being being pretty practical I think, I just wanted to get that sound a bit.

But hey by the way Ricky, your Bogner Uberschall patch was/is the basis for my rhythm patch so I kinda owe my ability to set up a HD500 patch to you :lol:

Reaction score

This is so true. I have begun quadruple tracking my guitars with a different setting on each guitar track in order to get a nicer, thicker tone. I can give you guys a sample in a day or so nice I upload something to share.

I got a super low-end industrial tone (very bassy) with a high djenty tone, and then two variations on sort of scooped Meshuggah tone (not exactly djenty, just Meshuggly). Still tweaking three of the four. But it sounds great thus far unmixed and unmastered professionally. (Because I don't know shit about production at home.)

HoKrll

Reaction score
In regards to the JSX, I put my POD HD in front of my XXX at a live gig as a last resort one time(long story).
And it actually sounded really good. I had the XXX on a totally clean sound. The Cleans of the POD with their nice effects finally sounded full and well, good, from the tubes.
Also, the distortion had lots of body and cut through the mix very nicely.
Of course you need your patch to be tweaked for being in front of an amp!

Chuck

Reaction score
This is so true. I have begun quadruple tracking my guitars with a different setting on each guitar track in order to get a nicer, thicker tone. I can give you guys a sample in a day or so nice I upload something to share.

I got a super low-end industrial tone (very bassy) with a high djenty tone, and then two variations on sort of scooped Meshuggah tone (not exactly djenty, just Meshuggly). Still tweaking three of the four. But it sounds great thus far unmixed and unmastered professionally. (Because I don't know shit about production at home.)

Sweet, I'd love to hear that.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ok sweet. And yeah I'm being being pretty practical I think, I just wanted to get that sound a bit.

But hey by the way Ricky, your Bogner Uberschall patch was/is the basis for my rhythm patch so I kinda owe my ability to set up a HD500 patch to you :lol:

That's what I like to hear :shred:

I started tweaking some new patches recently but haven't uploaded them yet as I have to translate them to the pod impulses from the redwirez. That, and I'm in the process of moving so my gear isn't set up and I won't have Internet besides in my phone for about a month....

Chuck

Reaction score
I'm working on a saturated type clean patch (Think All New Materials) Will post patch tomorrow

I've been sorta trying to get a sound like that. However with my MH-417 and Blackouts getting that sorta clean sound is a bit tricky. Definitely possible though, unalike with the EMG's that were hard to get to sound nice clean.

IMO of course

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh dang.

How are those redwirez any how? They worth the money?

They're fantastic. A lot of them weren't what I expected. Most of the v30's seemed really honkey, and I don't like overly eq'd tones so I didn't want to tweak the shit out if them. I really love the soldano ones though. Probably my favorite after an hour or two of trying different impulses.

That being said, a lot of people like what I didn't, so you might feel that all the v30 ones are great.

Shoot me a pm if you'd like to try one or two. I'd be willing to help redwirez make a sale!

')