This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
I'm still hooked on using the mid-focus/screamer combination. It gets the sound tight as I like yet still with plenty of oomph.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Just tried the q filter method. I really like it already. It may be used in all my songs from now on lol I'm actually quite surprised at how good it sounds!

EDIT: here are my settings.

Frequency 40%
Q 0%
Gain 80%
Mix 45%
Type BP

Oh, and while I'm at it, here are my high pass/low pass filter settings for the mid focus eq.

Hp freq 35%
Hp Q 30%
Lp freq 80%
Lp Q 40%
Gain 0%

Chuck

Reaction score
Which overdrive/distortion pedal would you guys recommend for a hardcore type tone? Nice saturated and a bit loose, but I still want it to be clear and discernible overall.

So far in this hardcore patch I'm running the Soldano Overdrive:

Gain: 50%
Bass: 50%
Mid: 65%
Treble: 60%
Presence: 65%
Chan Vol: 60%

Running with the PhD Ported 2x12 > SM57 with some verb and a compressor to fight the gates

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Which overdrive/distortion pedal would you guys recommend for a hardcore type tone? Nice saturated and a bit loose, but I still want it to be clear and discernible overall.

So far in this hardcore patch I'm running the Soldano Overdrive:

Gain: 50%
Bass: 50%
Mid: 65%
Treble: 60%
Presence: 65%
Chan Vol: 60%

Running with the PhD Ported 2x12 > SM57 with some verb and a compressor to fight the gates

Use the q filter setting I just posted but with the mix level set a bit lower. Use less drive on the amp model though. Like around 35%

Chuck

Reaction score
Sweet okay I'll give that a shot :cool:

EDIT: What else should I be using in front of the amp with the Q Filter?

Right now I have Red Comp > Gate > QF > Gate

And it doesn't sound quite right.

Chuck

Reaction score
Okay haha, I still had the Q at like 75%, now it sounds good.

But just to clear things, you guys are using the Q Filter in place of a screamer, yes? And secondly, what is your guys' signal chain going to the amp?

And also here's my EQ for my main 7 string patch:

Studio EQ 1:
0.6 dB boost at 1400hz
1.0 dB cut at 5000hz

Studio EQ 2:
2.0 dB cut at 75hz
2.5 dB cut at 200hz

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Okay haha, I still had the Q at like 75%, now it sounds good.

But just to clear things, you guys are using the Q Filter in place of a screamer, yes? And secondly, what is your guys' signal chain going to the amp?

And also here's my EQ for my main 7 string patch:

Studio EQ 1:
0.6 dB boost at 1400hz
1.0 dB cut at 5000hz

Studio EQ 2:
2.0 dB cut at 75hz
2.5 dB cut at 200hz

Yes, Q filter replaces the screamer. It might actually use less dsp, but I haven't tested it. I find it gives me the same boost, but sounds better.

Also, use try the mid focus eq settings that I posted either this page or the last. It will replace your studio eq2 as well as cut your extreme highs.

My signal chain is:

Red comp>noise gate>Q filter>noise gate>amp model>mid focus eq>hard gate

Any other eq's I use I put after the mixer and before the mid focus. I also have everything on the left path with the right path muted.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I think my hd500 is just fucked, I've tried just about everything recommended here and various searching online, and nothing has worked. Still just stuck in an infinite loop showing the boot screen

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
All right sweet. Thanks a ton Ricky :)

No problem! Glad I could help out. Bobbo helped out a lot by mentioning the Q filter method. I never would have tried it. I was pretty set in my ways of using a screamer for every patch. I had thought about changing it up by using my Maxon od808 instead, but that's not really any different....

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I think my hd500 is just fucked, I've tried just about everything recommended here and various searching online, and nothing has worked. Still just stuck in an infinite loop showing the boot screen

If you've tried the hard reset and it didn't help, then you might have to resort to sending it to line6.

PrestigeRS4

Reaction score
I know someone somewhere here has answered this but too many pages to scroll through. I am trying to get a really tight "Periphery" style tone out of my pro HD. Anybody got any suggestions?

Chuck

Reaction score
Dude it's pretty easy to get a tone like that. Pick really any of the high gain amps(Bogner is my favorite) set like this:

Drive: 40-55%
Lows: 35-55%
Mids: 55-75%
Highs: 50-65%
Pres: depends on which amp, for instance the Bogner is less dry and gainy so I run with 85%
Chan Vol: 50-60%

Then find whichever mic and cab combo sounds best to your ears

Then you are going to want to set up your signal chain. Mine is like this:

Red Comp > Gate > Screamer/Q Filter > Gate > Bogner > Chamber verb > mid focus Eq > volume pedal

Just use the preset settings on the comp, it's really just there to fight gates.

Gates: 0-5% decay, 45-55% threshold

Screamer: 10-20% lows, 70ish% tone, 45-65% highs, 0-10% gain, 100% output.

You can look on the last page how to set the EQ's and Q Filter.

Lastly, do not overlook the Amp and Cap parameters, you must tweak those to get a good tone.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I know someone somewhere here has answered this but too many pages to scroll through. I am trying to get a really tight "Periphery" style tone out of my pro HD. Anybody got any suggestions?

If you search back just a few pages, someone actual posted the direct translation of misha and Adams axe-fx tones. Bobbo also has a really good one on his page.

That being said, periphery uses a fair bit less gain but more compression which can be confused as really high gain.

Using only about 30% drive and lots of compression will give you a tighter tone. I try to pretend that the pod doesn't go above 50% on the drive knob because anything above that is just ridiculous to me.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I should mention my guitar is a LTD MH-417 with SD Blackouts

How do you like your mh-417? I had looked at it recently in my quest for another guitar. I'm not sure if I can justify it since I already have a premium series ibanez and I don't think it would be any better than that. I may end up just building another one instead lol

Also, for my pod hd friends, I'm releasing my album on 4/20 and will post the download link for anyone that wants it!

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
If you've tried the hard reset and it didn't help, then you might have to resort to sending it to line6.

I've tried that once with no luck, I'll give it one more attempt before contacting Line 6.

All such fucking bullshit. I live in a small ass apartment and can't crank my half stack at home, so this is my only home playing option, and I've been stuck playing just unplugged for months now :mad::wallbash::mad:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Dude it's pretty easy to get a tone like that. Pick really any of the high gain amps(Bogner is my favorite) set like this:

Drive: 40-55%
Lows: 35-55%
Mids: 55-75%
Highs: 50-65%
Pres: depends on which amp, for instance the Bogner is less dry and gainy so I run with 85%
Chan Vol: 50-60%

Then find whichever mic and cab combo sounds best to your ears

Then you are going to want to set up your signal chain. Mine is like this:

Red Comp > Gate > Screamer/Q Filter > Gate > Bogner > Chamber verb > mid focus Eq > volume pedal

Just use the preset settings on the comp, it's really just there to fight gates.

Gates: 0-5% decay, 45-55% threshold

Screamer: 10-20% lows, 70ish% tone, 45-65% highs, 0-10% gain, 100% output.

You can look on the last page how to set the EQ's and Q Filter.

Lastly, do not overlook the Amp and Cap parameters, you must tweak those to get a good tone.

Did you know that you can save an fx block by using the expression pedal to control your channel volume?

Highlight the amp model and double click the move button. Scroll to volume, choose exp2 and set the max value as the max channel volume that you use.

Although I haven't tried it yet, you might even be able to use one of the foot switches to control the channel volume and basically have a killswitch. I might actually test that theory...

EDIT: scratch that. I got curious and just tested it. You can only choose between the expression pedals and the variax volume.

')