This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I did this but I took out the Q Filter, tweeked the gain on the OD and used the parametric EQ. really like it. Thanks for the advise. any other settings you got to share?

Use the q filter and not the screamer with the settings I posted a page or two back. You won't regret it.

PasIvre

Reaction score
I personally can't stand the rubberiness the q filter adds to the sound, but tastes are tastes. I'm not terribly fond of the whole djent thing, tonally, though. (I know, blasphemous.) I like my tone more sludgy organic perhaps slightly muffled goodness than ridiculously tight.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I disagree. If the Q Filter sounds too much like a cocked wah or brightens/tightens the amp too much, just back off the mix and gain, or lower the frequency. or even just use it in low pass mode. i find the OD's tend to make the tone a bit washed out like they kind of suck out some high end (even with impedance manually set to 1M or 3.5M). they also give this weird midrange sheen to the tone. those aren't necessarily bad things just different. some patches I go Q Filter, some I go OD, some I go both.

now if I'm going medium or low gain or for a more vintage type tone, all bets are off. I can suffer lower SNR or some high end muffled-ness. in many cases that's NECESSARY to get the same vintage vibe as some older recordings. And you can use different cab/mic choices without worrying

PasIvre

Reaction score
Even with the mix at like 15% I still get this weird texture bugging my ears, both in and out of a mix. Low pass mode still has the same character, just in a slightly different way.

I don't really tend to use any boosts anyways, despite using a model that supposedly really benefits from it (SLO lead channel), so it could just be that I have strange tastes relative to yours. Diversity is truly the spice of life, though, so it's all good. :hbang:

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I'm on pod hd and I'm using input 2:mic .

Although the q filter is good,I can't seem to make it sound clean enough with the amps' gain at 38% and get the same amount of string separation I get with a screamer with 15% drive 53% output and amps' gain at 50,60 or even 70%.Tested on both an 8 string with X-bars and a 6 string with some semi-crap INF pickups.

EDIT:On the bright side,with the Q-filter I get better snr for some reason,and I can add a second EQ since it's lighter on dsp

meambobbo

Reaction score
The SLO definitely responds strangely to boosts, from my experience. Completely changes the character of the amp even with relatively mild settings. I have never completely gelled with that model, but I think I prefer it without a boost as well. I only use it for one patch, a Vai Story of Light tone. It gets boosted, but I don't think the results are necessarily pretty. I find the resulting tone interesting and think it ends up faithful to the target, but it's well outside of the tones I generally prefer. I forgot what exactly I did, but I'm pretty sure I had the L6 Drive on there but switched to the Q Filter but in LP mode.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of Monuments and Vidjharta lately. They both have a very, very Screamer-y, cold, tight, focused tone. It's arguably overdone - almost sounds like a cocked wah and can sound a little thin (although the mix certainly isn't). But the note clarity is there, and it fits nicely in the mix. Has anyone found a good technique to dial these in?

I'm thinking 2+ Screamers. Anyone try that?

Reaction score
I just found out that I'm getting a $700 tax return and I've been jonesing for an HD Pro for a couple weeks. Thankfully the tax return brings it into my realm of affordability. Will probably have it in 2 or 3 weeks.

Edit: I should add that I've already got the FBV shortboard MK. II that I use for my Line 6 HD150 amp so I'll be able to use the HD Pro fully :D

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I've been listening to a lot of Monuments and Vidjharta lately. They both have a very, very Screamer-y, cold, tight, focused tone. It's arguably overdone - almost sounds like a cocked wah and can sound a little thin (although the mix certainly isn't). But the note clarity is there, and it fits nicely in the mix. Has anyone found a good technique to dial these in?

I'm thinking 2+ Screamers. Anyone try that?

I used to use a stacked "weeper" wah at 80% frequency (you can turn off the exp pedal dependence of the frequency from the mixer tab),usually before the screamer,with mix to taste to blend in the metallic "clunk".For more Vildhjarta-ness mix goes higher (and sweep the wah freq to find the sweet spot).

I abandoned the wah method because even with mix at 0% it filters the tone and it makes it thinner and/or messes with the headroom I don't know..

However:Since the q-filter takes less dsp,I guess you can work a way around and use one wah in front of each amp,with the weeper wah mix of the "bass" amp at 0% (in case the cabs are phase corrected and you don't want to mess with that as little as possible) and working around the amp knobs to compensate for the thinness,and the mix of the wah in front of the "treble" amp to taste.Just throwing ideas..

meambobbo

Reaction score
Word up. Muchos gracias. Gonna see if the q filter fucks with phase tonight. Easy to tell. Just put it in a channel with mix at 0% and toggle it and see if it changes tone

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Anyone use a Crate Powerblock with their POD HD? I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather not use my 5150 as a power amp for this. If not a Powerblock, then maybe a dedicated power amp for around the same price? I don't intend to get very loud, I just want to hear it through something other than headphones or computer speakers sometimes (in that same vein, maybe a decent pair of studio monitors instead of computer speakers?).

meambobbo

Reaction score
I use 8" studio monitors. It's eery how much you can get them to sound like a cab in the room, but only for a small room. If you have to get to gig levels you need something else. I'm probably gonna get a Alto TS112A for this purpose. Seems well-rated considering the price, relative to QSC, RCF, and the Atomic CLR.

Nemonic

Reaction score
The wah metod was quite popular on the forums in the X3 age.
I think that the key is to dial back some of the lower frequencies with a second amp, and also keep it thin, but nit scratchy.
Also, I am amazed by those bands that make their tones ultra thin, but they sound brutal in a mix, both at live and studio area. In my opinion, that "in a mix" is the most important part. There is no "they sound great because of the guitar tone". When you are dialing your tone, you have to have super sounding bass and drum track to make it sit in. The chain is as strong as its weakest link. That is why we overbass our tones, because we are afraid of being skinny, while being fatasses that do not come through the stage door.

Buy decent monitors.

meambobbo

Reaction score
yeah, a lot of people said my tones were too thin when i first released patches. granted, some of them were a bit thin, but it's like dood HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A BAND?!?! maybe I should just dial up patches with comments, "use this tone if you want to sound like a guitarist + a crappy bass player". "this patch includes a 16th note delay with infinite feedback to simulate a drummer." TEH BROOTZ

flv75

Reaction score

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Totally agreed. In the mix is the key. I find a lot of people still don't understand that they can't sound exactly like an album tone with just one live guitar track. One track just can't sound like 4.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Anyone use a Crate Powerblock with their POD HD? I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather not use my 5150 as a power amp for this. If not a Powerblock, then maybe a dedicated power amp for around the same price? I don't intend to get very loud, I just want to hear it through something other than headphones or computer speakers sometimes (in that same vein, maybe a decent pair of studio monitors instead of computer speakers?).

I use a Powerblock to run it through a cab. Very clean. It makes a pretty good power amp on its own.

')