Snout

Reaction score
It depends on the wattage of the speakers. General rule is take the lowest wattage and times it by the number of speakers. So if you were running two 30watt speakers and two 60 watts, you would take 30x4.

it looks like 80w per speaker. 8 ohms each.

If paired in parallel that would be 4ohms a channel

does that change the wattage? ohms confuse me....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
it looks like 80w per speaker. 8 ohms each.

If paired in parallel that would be 4ohms a channel

does that change the wattage? ohms confuse me....

The speakers are still the same wattage. Different ohms are different loads on the amp.

All About Ohms

That page helped me figure things out when I changed speakers in my old cab. Hopefully it can shed some light for you.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I am trying to make a live tone that sounds like processed studio tone. What do I need? I am sure about EQ to find fizzy spots, what about compressor?

Generally the only hard rule I find is that the venue is going to provide natural reverb, so dial back the one in your patch or turn it off. But EQ-wise, I like to have all the major treatment already baked into the patch. If you rely on DAW EQ for this, then yeah, you'd have to recreate that. As far as the venue and EQ, you have to sound-check to find the craziness. I have recommended make 3 setlists, the neutral one you dial in to sound perfect at home/practice, one with the same patches but darker, and the other brighter. That way if the venue is bright/dark you can compensate. If the venue has bass nodes or other acoustic nightmares, I'd start playing with speaker positioning before trying to correct it in the patch. Also, when you're dealing with that stuff, it's going to vary from point to point. Make sure you are monitoring from the audiences point of view, and moving all over the floor, not just one spot. I wouldn't try to use EQ to dial out the nodes since they are irregularly distributed. Unless they are extremely obvious for a wide range of the floor.

Compression...should already be in the patch, unless you're using DAW compression. Then yeah, add it. But you don't necessarily have to use a compressor effect - you could turn the Master Volume DEP up a bit or something like that.

meambobbo

Reaction score
sounds like the analog outputs are shorting out. my guess is it's occurring at the MASTER knob since it's mechanical and connected to all the analog outputs. You have definitely unplugged all jacks when testing one of them, right? IE, you unplugged 1/4" out when testing headphones? The jacks would be my 2nd place to start looking, particularly the most commonly used ones.

If you're under warranty, I'd get the pros to fix it. If not, I'd start piddling. Crack it open and start unsoldering jacks and bypass the MASTER pot.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
sounds like the analog outputs are shorting out. my guess is it's occurring at the MASTER knob since it's mechanical and connected to all the analog outputs. You have definitely unplugged all jacks when testing one of them, right? IE, you unplugged 1/4" out when testing headphones? The jacks would be my 2nd place to start looking, particularly the most commonly used ones.

If you're under warranty, I'd get the pros to fix it. If not, I'd start piddling. Crack it open and start unsoldering jacks and bypass the MASTER pot.

Turns out I had the "Hardware Monitor Level" parameter down, all problems solved!

surfthealien

Reaction score
Wait, so you guys start practicing in April for a one night Halloween party gig as a hair band? :ugh:

Rev.

Dedication bro. Just kidding this year we will add prob a couple more shows. We plan on having a 20 plus song setlist to pick from. Its pretty tough to nail all those solo's

meambobbo

Reaction score
ok, pro and bean files are up too.
Index of /podhd/patches

I used the jzab converter this time. the bean files may have come out messed up. they didn't appear to have the same input settings as my 500 files, so I just set them all to inp 1 guitar, inp 2 mic, impedance 1M. Some of the patches should probably use inp 2 guitar/same. If you don't get any signal into Channel B or the gain is too weak, try changing that. The pro's should be ok, but keep in mind I can't check them all out. Let me know if you find discrepancies.

Also, this go round I have started using the Pad switch turned on. So if you don't use Pad, the patches might be too hot.

As usual, most patches were dialed in on my EBMM JPM with CL/LF pickups. The 7S (7/8 string) patches are on the RGA8 with D'Activators. The RGA8 is particularly dark despite the pickups being somewhat bright. You may need to darken up the pre-EQ depending on your axe. The CR (classic rock) and CL (clean/crunch) patches I used both the EBMM and the RGA8 when I needed single coil tone. The RGA8 I can switch each pickup to parallel operation to get a more single coil tone. The EBMM only has the middle position where both inner coils are tapped.

the 4/2/13 setlist file has all the patches. located at the bottom of the appropriate device folder.

Highlights for this go round:
* Q Filter worked into many patches
* Kinda rethought how to dial in the Meshuggah patches
* Pretty sure the Periphery Rhythm patch is as close to possible for the self-title tone (for my axe)
* Added Veil of Maya and Vildjharta patches
* updated the Periphery and Dream Theater clean patches - absolutely stunning cleans
* Spankin clean has a clean boost now to even out single coils vs buckers
* Added Bass patches
* Finally feel comfortable saying the Ain't Talkin 'bout Love patch is really close with the flanger
* probably some other bullshit - just play 'em

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Entered Fluff's riff contest on Youtube and I used Meambobbo's Petrucci rhythm patch with the POD HD Desktop :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Turns out I had the "Hardware Monitor Level" parameter down, all problems solved!

The one on the computer I'm guessing? I noticed that when you turn on the pod first there's sound and then when you turn on the computer it cuts out until you open your daw and turn on monitoring.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely downloading the new patches tomorrow Bobbo! Quite convenient that I'm using the same pickups as well, so no extra tweaking for me!

Zorkuus

Reaction score
Just tried Bobbo's new patches. First with an Xiphos 7 with D'activators and they still had that POD quality, though still some of the best patches ever for what the POD is capable. Then I hooked a Schecter ATX 7 with Blackouts and holy fuck... a couple of them were tight like a virgin. I though I was almost using impulses... almost.

Will have to wait later today to test them in a mix.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, you got it. On my Spider Valve Mk I, running the MASTER knob at full causes the loop return on the Spider to distort a little, so I had to back off. Worth keeping in mind.

You could also do a 4CM and sometimes use the Spider's amp models if you were so inclined. It'd be a bit more versatile that way, but more cables and gain staging to deal with.
I didn't bother with the 4CM. Didn't want to monkey with the amp/head modelling/presets/etc. So just ran clean (twang i think) with no FX and doing the chain we spoke about with no external FX. OMG....that was sexy as hell live...even through that crappy cabinet the HD100 is going through. Still sounded amazing and translated really well live.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I didn't bother with the 4CM. Didn't want to monkey with the amp/head modelling/presets/etc. So just ran clean (twang i think) with no FX and doing the chain we spoke about with no external FX. OMG....that was sexy as hell live...even through that crappy cabinet the HD100 is going through. Still sounded amazing and translated really well live.

if you are running into the amp's effects loop return, you don't even have to worry about which model or what effects are on - that's all in the pre-amp which you are bypassing. so that can save you a little time setting up. glad to hear everything worked well.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Just tried Bobbo's new patches. First with an Xiphos 7 with D'activators and they still had that POD quality, though still some of the best patches ever for what the POD is capable. Then I hooked a Schecter ATX 7 with Blackouts and holy fuck... a couple of them were tight like a virgin. I though I was almost using impulses... almost.

Will have to wait later today to test them in a mix.

Glad to hear they are sounding pretty good. I definitely want negative criticism as well as positive. They aren't done yet. I haven't had a chance to blast them real loud through the monitors, which is essential to get the right post-EQ on them. I have actually already tweaked a couple of the patches since uploading them...:ugh:

And I want to make some sample mixes to finalize them. Also gonna revamp all the foot controls and make sure they're leveled.

Once I get them done, I'm thinking about making some "live" setlists for 3-4 styles of playing. The difference is that each bank of patches would have something like A - Clean, B - Rhythm 1/Crunch, C - Rhythm 2/Lead 1, D - Lead 2. So some patches would be featured on multiple banks, but there would be a consistent theme, and I'd do it by artist and with consideration to live applications. So for instance, Petrucci might have 2 banks with the a regular clean in bank 1 and a modulated clean in bank 2...bank 1 would be his Mark series rig and bank 2 his Recto tones. The lead tones would have a volume boost in comparison to the others. The setlists I'm thinking right now would be Classic Rock (everything up to 1980), Shred/Prog (1980 - 2000), Modern Metal (2000 - current).

Latest posts

')