This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
Quick question:

will rocktron midi xchange work with POD HD Pro?

meambobbo

Reaction score
Regarding the Noise Gate vs. the Hard Gate, keep in mind that the Noise Gate isn't strictly a gate but a noise suppressor as well. It definitely alters your tone, which is why people have referred to it as a tone suck. I don't know if the affect it has on tone is necessarily negative, though. Like any device that claims it can "clean up" your signal, at first it seems like a nice improvement, but you start noticing you lost this or that subtle edge to your tone. So pay attention to that and do some serious A/B'ing before concluding you want a Noise Gate rather than a Hard Gate. And I think the amount of suppression, similar depends on the Threshold setting, so try changing the settings, maybe not simply using it as a gate at all.

I stick to the Hard Gate mostly. It can be a little daunting to dial 3 of them in, but just go in order from the front to the back of the chain and set threshold as close as possible to the point where u get unwanted noise. See my guide for more details.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Downloading as we speak. I appreciate you've uploaded them in wav, but it's taking so long in my 1 M connection...got other stuff to download too! :)

All the files are rather large as they're uncompressed files. I wanted everyone to get cd quality since there's only a small handful of people that will actually get a physical cd. My wife being one of them lol

Zulphur

Reaction score
meanbobbo i totally feel a change in tone with the noisegate, it's really subtle but i hear it. I can't get the hardgate to work properly , can you post some starting settings please? and what knobs should i decrease increase from there? i get lost with the "open"- close" thing. All patchs with the hardgate activated do some crazy stuff when im playing.

Reaction score
Regarding the Noise Gate vs. the Hard Gate, keep in mind that the Noise Gate isn't strictly a gate but a noise suppressor as well. It definitely alters your tone, which is why people have referred to it as a tone suck. I don't know if the affect it has on tone is necessarily negative, though. Like any device that claims it can "clean up" your signal, at first it seems like a nice improvement, but you start noticing you lost this or that subtle edge to your tone. So pay attention to that and do some serious A/B'ing before concluding you want a Noise Gate rather than a Hard Gate. And I think the amount of suppression, similar depends on the Threshold setting, so try changing the settings, maybe not simply using it as a gate at all.

I stick to the Hard Gate mostly. It can be a little daunting to dial 3 of them in, but just go in order from the front to the back of the chain and set threshold as close as possible to the point where u get unwanted noise. See my guide for more details.

I've read your manual and it has been of huge help. In fact, I went straight away to hard gates because of your suggestion. I have 2 hard gates as for now; one at the beginning of the chain, and another in the end. I'll get sharper with the thresholds but I wanna avoid killing the solos. I use a lot of gain so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Reaction score
All the files are rather large as they're uncompressed files. I wanted everyone to get cd quality since there's only a small handful of people that will actually get a physical cd. My wife being one of them lol

Nice :). The standard lossless compression for internet is .flac. You could try that format and it would lower the size of the songs.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Nice :). The standard lossless compression for internet is .flac. You could try that format and it would lower the size of the songs.

I don't feel like changing it. The wav files are what I exporting directly from mastering. I may do some mp3 versions for the people who aren't as willing to check out my music if there's any effort involved. Which I'm sure there will be... I still have a few days before the release to decide anyway.

I've also considered putting the album on iTunes. Even though I'm giving it away for free, there's still a ton of people that buy music from there. People that would otherwise never find me or my link. Nothing wrong with broadening your audience! After all, I make music for everyone to enjoy, not just me.

Oh, and those of you that downloaded my album, please actually read the track listing/credits file. There's some semi-important info in there.

Reaction score
I don't feel like changing it. The wav files are what I exporting directly from mastering. I may do some mp3 versions for the people who aren't as willing to check out my music if there's any effort involved. Which I'm sure there will be... I still have a few days before the release to decide anyway.

I've also considered putting the album on iTunes. Even though I'm giving it away for free, there's still a ton of people that buy music from there. People that would otherwise never find me or my link. Nothing wrong with broadening your audience! After all, I make music for everyone to enjoy, not just me.

Oh, and those of you that downloaded my album, please actually read the track listing/credits file. There's some semi-important info in there.

I totally agree with you. Besides, us musicians have to get paid for our work too!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm playing around with using peripherick and meambobbo's patch panned 75/75 with Superior. It honestly sounds pretty awesome with both patches double tracked on each side even without a bass in the mix. I'll have to post it tomorrow if I get a chance.

Try panning them both 100% left and right. It will clean up your mix not having any guitars fighting for center stage.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
I tried that Ricky, but it's weird with Studio One vs. reaper or pro tools. It seems like you loose some of the stereo effect going really wide with the pans to me. But I also have the VSL software and I may need to mess with that other than setting a L and R 100% level. There is a lot to it and I'm just getting in depth with it.

Also, you should check out Nimbit. It's part of Presonus but you can set up a free account and set up storefronts for Nimbit, Facebook and a few other sites and it says you can upload to iTunes through them. Plus it has a virtual tip jar feature like bandcamp but also has the marketing ability built in to the site. I've toyed with it a slight bit but need to check it out further, also your uploads are in .wav format so your all set for that. :) lol If you wanna sign up for a free account let me know and I'll send you an invite. Anyone you refer to the site that signs up for a free account gets you $2. Just pm me your email.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
if anyone is looking for a decent sub drop i can send them one. i have it eq'd so that only the tiniest bit actually comes through the speakers, but booms like hell on a sub.

meambobbo

Reaction score
meanbobbo i totally feel a change in tone with the noisegate, it's really subtle but i hear it. I can't get the hardgate to work properly , can you post some starting settings please? and what knobs should i decrease increase from there? i get lost with the "open"- close" thing. All patchs with the hardgate activated do some crazy stuff when im playing.

For the tightest possible sound, use Decay 0 and Hold 0. Always have Close set to 3-10 db less than Open, but the exact values will depend on your pickups, where in the chain you place it, how you have your patch gain staged, etc. I'd start with a 5 db difference and adjust them both to find the sweet spot, OR, find a close a setting that closes the gate (somewhere around 25% of it's max should work) when you totally mute the guitar, and set Open to 100% and slowly back down while very gently tapping a string onto a fret to simulate the softest note you would ever play. slowly reduce the Open Threshold until it opens. Then turn up Close Threshold until a sustained note is basically 95% dead before the gate closes.

To see how Open/Close work, Open is basically the minimum signal level needed to open the gate and let signal through. Close is the maximum signal level that the signal must remain at or higher to allow the gate to stay open. If you only had one threshold, this is subject to jitter - if the gate perceives a sustained note around (for example) 0 db as 0.5, -0.5, 0.5, -0.5 and you had threshold set to 0 db, this would trigger the gate to open and close every sample. By setting Open to a higher value than close, say +1 db and 0 db, you wouldn't get the jitter above - the gate would close and stay closed.

Now I said that Hold and Decay at 0 are tightest. I usually like to move up a tad off 0%. Hold basically says, "I won't close the gate until the signal has been under the Close threshold for __ miliseconds". So this can prevent a very slight, short dip in the signal from causing the gate to close. Decay determines how quickly the gate closes. At 0, the signal goes from whatever it's current value is to absolute silence instantly. Above this, it fades out over the duration set in Decay. Using like 10 ms sounds a bit more natural than 0, and the higher you go, the less noticeable the cutoff is. But you sacrifice being able to have the tone go to silence as soon as you mute. I find a very short Decay is ok, but I only go higher if my tone has reverb on it (lead tones).

These are my PREFERRED settings. They err on the side of unwanted noise but little loss of wanted playing. If you never really sustain notes and just want to punch in and out real quick, you could use more extreme settings.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Rick, gonna check out the album sometime this weekend. Very smart of you to get it done before you get to be a fulltime poppa.

I have been messing with the PeripheRick patch as well as my own. I've been re-eq'ed to try to get what my patch is missing from yours. I think I've got it, or close to it. The Tread/Uber combo gets so much more mids, but it's harder to get the chunk and presence to sound as good. It's kinda sad that the ideal solution here would be to use a quad cab patch with all of them.

As for 75/75 vs 100/100, I actually think I like 75/75 more. It seems to blend into one giant guitar tone more. Of course, if I actually had a decent sense of rhythm and could get everything 99.9% tight, it should be difficult to tell the difference. Whatever. I'll get there in a few years when I put my nose down.

FWIW, having two guitars fighting each other a little bit in the mix sometimes sounds great. Listen to the raw guitar tone on Chaosphere or And Justice for All in the brief moments where the guitars solo on one side of the spectrum. I really doubt those are single tracks - all kinds of swirly, phasing going on. Not saying those are my favorite tones either - but that's like quad tracking at equal volume. I'm talking about 75/75 or higher.

')