This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VikingGuitar

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I don't really want to read back through all 226 pages looking for an answer ;-)

I just got an HD500 and am liking it. Planning on using it live and already have a Rocktron Velocity 300 in the mail. What do you all use/like/recommend for a speaker cabinet? I'm probably looking at getting a 2x12 for ease of transportation. I play all sorts of hard rock/metal stuff (from Periphery to Fear Factory, Satriani to Megadeth, Devin Townsend to 3 Inches of Blood, even some surf rock!) Also, pretty budget conscious, so I'm not looking for an awesome recommendation that would cost me $800 :p

Thanks in advance!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I don't really want to read back through all 226 pages looking for an answer ;-)

I just got an HD500 and am liking it. Planning on using it live and already have a Rocktron Velocity 300 in the mail. What do you all use/like/recommend for a speaker cabinet? I'm probably looking at getting a 2x12 for ease of transportation. I play all sorts of hard rock/metal stuff (from Periphery to Fear Factory, Satriani to Megadeth, Devin Townsend to 3 Inches of Blood, even some surf rock!) Also, pretty budget conscious, so I'm not looking for an awesome recommendation that would cost me $800 :p

Thanks in advance!

avatar or steamcomusic sells "voltage" cabinets. both super awesome cabinets. steamco also sells Warehouse Guitar Speakers and they are fucking awesome. half the price of celestions and sound even better.

mr_fruitbowl

Reaction score
What do you guys think is better redwirez or two notes WoS?

Also to work with POD HD I just basically select no Cab?

Shredmon

Reaction score
hy guys, i know its not an hd but i have a question regarding Pods...
Is the Pod xt any good?
I need a cheap preamp that is capable of handling the low end of my 8s, and since Meshuggah play (or played?!) the Vetta Models, i thought the Pod could be something and i could grab a Pod xt for 100 euro...

Nemonic

Reaction score
What do you guys think is better redwirez or two notes WoS?

Also to work with POD HD I just basically select no Cab?
Yes, select No cab. I do not know about WoS, but Redwirez impulses are very good. There is a great offer for that Big Box.

Nemonic

Reaction score
hy guys, i know its not an hd but i have a question regarding Pods...
Is the Pod xt any good?
I need a cheap preamp that is capable of handling the low end of my 8s, and since Meshuggah play (or played?!) the Vetta Models, i thought the Pod could be something and i could grab a Pod xt for 100 euro...
For me, XT´s Big Bottom model sounds very badass. I would pick one for that price if it had that Metal Shop pack inside. It is up to you. I also do not know around which price range do they appear in your country.

Zorkuus

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not experimenting with the 57 off axis more. I've almost always just placed the 57 on axis for the A/bright amp and then have to do a ton of tweaking to make it not so bright in a mix. With off axis I find I have to do less tweaking to make it not too dark. This is coming purely from a "sitting in the mix" pov, on axis still sounds better for a bedroom tone.

Reaction score
Do you guys suggest using the POD HD500 through interface to computer ? Is it really better than podhd500 usb to computer ?

USB to computer is good enough because you can go up to 96 Khz and 24 bit depth with a latency as low as 128 samples (2 ms). If you have a good interface with S/PDIF in, like the M-Audio 2496 which I happen to have, I'd go that way because I can have the same recording quality (96 Khz - 24-bit) but I can go as low as 64 samples (less than 1.5 ms) of latency.

The key is to avoid A/D - D/A - A/D reconversion. Using S/PDIF and USB means that the signal is converted from Analog to Digital just once and goes to the track all the way in digital. If you're using the analog outputs of the POD directly into the analog input of the interface, you might be losing some quality due to A/D -> D/A -> A/D conversion.

Bottomline is, if your interface doesn't have a S/PDIF in, just go USB all the way.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've had my HD for about 2 months and I adore it! Bobo's guide really helped me learn the ins and outs of this thing, however I still have a few questions, mainly to do with recording.

1. I read the comments about HD to interface and latency/quality. I've currently got a UX1 that I run the left output of my HD into. I'd like to go straight over USB, but ASIO only allows me to use one USB device like that at a time. What I would like to do is run my HD through USB and have my interface output the sound, as that's what my speakers are hooked to. Is there a way to do this? I'm using Reaper FWIW. Also, my mobo has S/DIF, could I use that for the HD and the USB for the ux1. Would running XLR be an option as well?

2. If I decide to use an impulse instead of the stock cabs, wouldn't applying the impulse after the HD affect whatever fx I'm running after the amp model in the HD. What I mean is that instead of PreFX>HDAmp/cab>PostFX when running the stock cab, would it be PreFX>HDAmp>PostFX>IR? If so, is there a way to somehow insert the IR before any post fx? I don't run any rhythm patches with postfx right now, and most of my lead fx will be added afterwards, however, I'm still patch building.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've had my HD for about 2 months and I adore it! Bobo's guide really helped me learn the ins and outs of this thing, however I still have a few questions, mainly to do with recording.

1. I read the comments about HD to interface and latency/quality. I've currently got a UX1 that I run the left output of my HD into. I'd like to go straight over USB, but ASIO only allows me to use one USB device like that at a time. What I would like to do is run my HD through USB and have my interface output the sound, as that's what my speakers are hooked to. Is there a way to do this? I'm using Reaper FWIW. Also, my mobo has S/DIF, could I use that for the HD and the USB for the ux1. Would running XLR be an option as well?

2. If I decide to use an impulse instead of the stock cabs, wouldn't applying the impulse after the HD affect whatever fx I'm running after the amp model in the HD. What I mean is that instead of PreFX>HDAmp/cab>PostFX when running the stock cab, would it be PreFX>HDAmp>PostFX>IR? If so, is there a way to somehow insert the IR before any post fx? I don't run any rhythm patches with postfx right now, and most of my lead fx will be added afterwards, however, I'm still patch building.

If the UX1 works as an ASIO interface, I haven't seen any DAW that works with two interfaces/ASIO drivers at once.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not experimenting with the 57 off axis more. I've almost always just placed the 57 on axis for the A/bright amp and then have to do a ton of tweaking to make it not so bright in a mix. With off axis I find I have to do less tweaking to make it not too dark. This is coming purely from a "sitting in the mix" pov, on axis still sounds better for a bedroom tone.

i definitely felt this way using single cabs. the 57 off axis is definitely not quite as crisp as the on axis, but there's so much more definition in the midrange. Like the on axis seems to have the most definition from around 3kHZ and up but the 57 works better for like 800HZ to 3kHZ. like. yeah. totally.

I am trying to work some 57 off axis in some patches to see if I can improve things. So far I've gotten good results, but only tried on somewhat darker patches. To use the Tread 57 off axis with the Uber 409, I had to put an EQ behind the Uber 409 for phase correction. The Uber 87 instead of 409 needs no phase correction, but sounds much worse IMO. The 409 seems to jive better and still get the pretty crisp highs, and the midrange does have a noticeably stronger definition than the 57 on axis. Gonna look for some more good combinations.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I tried meambobbo's periphery patch no 16 . Personally I thought something was lacking on the high mid/high region with the tread on + uber 409 compared to the tread on + uber 121.

I tried adding one more Q filter after the first one with settings:
Freq : 100%
Q:3%
Gain:3%
Type BP
Mix : 18%

Sounds a bit better to me,but I'll verify again later due to ear fatigue

')