TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Hey guys, answer me this, besides a couple I/O options and the fact that's it's rackable why would one buy the HD PODPro over the HD500? $200 difference, and if you add a FBV to the Pro that's another $200. What else does the Pro do that the 500 doesn't?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, answer me this, besides a couple I/O options and the fact that's it's rackable why would one buy the HD PODPro over the HD500? $200 difference, and if you add a FBV to the Pro that's another $200. What else does the Pro do that the 500 doesn't?

It fits in a rack.

meambobbo

Reaction score
I tried meambobbo's periphery patch no 16 . Personally I thought something was lacking on the high mid/high region with the tread on + uber 409 compared to the tread on + uber 121.

I tried adding one more Q filter after the first one with settings:
Freq : 100%
Q:3%
Gain:3%
Type BP
Mix : 18%

Sounds a bit better to me,but I'll verify again later due to ear fatigue

Cool - yeah, that would definitely add a wide but not too strong hump around ~2.6kHz - help dial in that crispy djent sound. Gonna try this out when I get a chance.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Exactly. And the Pro has a few more I/O options.

It's those last few bells and whistles that seem to cost the most... the rack format is designed to appeal to the "professional" player who may need to tour with it, or the studio that may want it to stay in a rack not taking up desk or floor space. the I/O options aren't simply the AES connections, but it can also take SPDIF input and includes a dry guitar analog output - a tap off the input jack to use as a DI. I believe there are also line in connections rather than just the Aux connections on other models.

I don't think the price is justified, but if you wanted to utilize that stuff or want a piece of rack gear, it does give you that option.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
It's those last few bells and whistles that seem to cost the most... the rack format is designed to appeal to the "professional" player who may need to tour with it, or the studio that may want it to stay in a rack not taking up desk or floor space. the I/O options aren't simply the AES connections, but it can also take SPDIF input and includes a dry guitar analog output - a tap off the input jack to use as a DI. I believe there are also line in connections rather than just the Aux connections on other models.

I don't think the price is justified, but if you wanted to utilize that stuff or want a piece of rack gear, it does give you that option.

I like rack-mounted stuff for live shows. That's why I bought the Pro :lol:

meambobbo

Reaction score
Still messing with my new POD HD....My latest attempt at making a tone

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91943175/My Song 34.mp3

Thoughts? Advice?

Definitely heading in the right direction I think. Tone is a little dark for my tastes, but I still like it. If you haven't checked out my guide, check my signature. It's long-winded, but I would use it more as reference than as a back to front read. The big things for me in figuring this unit out were avoiding clipping, especially with the EQ's, figuring out the inputs and signal routing, using "dual cabs", using the Q Filter or Line 6 Drive or Screamer as a boost in front the amp possibly in conjunction with some EQ, and using the Mid-Focus EQ to trim high/low end towards the end of the chain. There are lots of other things to tweak, but they will not take you as far as the ones I just mentioned.

SDSM

Reaction score
Definitely heading in the right direction I think. Tone is a little dark for my tastes, but I still like it. If you haven't checked out my guide, check my signature. It's long-winded, but I would use it more as reference than as a back to front read. The big things for me in figuring this unit out were avoiding clipping, especially with the EQ's, figuring out the inputs and signal routing, using "dual cabs", using the Q Filter or Line 6 Drive or Screamer as a boost in front the amp possibly in conjunction with some EQ, and using the Mid-Focus EQ to trim high/low end towards the end of the chain. There are lots of other things to tweak, but they will not take you as far as the ones I just mentioned.

Thanks for the advice man! I have been using the treadplate, tread cab/off axis combo with the screamer for a boost out front and a little compression. I am working with the baritone LTD SC-607B guitar with EMG 707 pick ups. Its tuned to G# standard. Might have to try the mid focus eq...

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man! I have been using the treadplate, tread cab/off axis combo with the screamer for a boost out front and a little compression. I am working with the baritone LTD SC-607B guitar with EMG 707 pick ups. Its tuned to G# standard. Might have to try the mid focus eq...

Try the q filter instead if the screamer and use dual cabs. Either xxl + 409 and hiway 57on axis or tread w/121 and über w/409

Also, check what your input impedance is set to.

Also also, maybe if you tell us what kind of tone your going for we can help further. If I can match an axe-fx tone and Bobbo can match the tone of most bands out there, I'm sure we can figure it out.

SDSM

Reaction score
Try the q filter instead if the screamer and use dual cabs. Either xxl + 409 and hiway 57on axis or tread w/121 and über w/409

Also, check what your input impedance is set to.

Also also, maybe if you tell us what kind of tone your going for we can help further. If I can match an axe-fx tone and Bobbo can match the tone of most bands out there, I'm sure we can figure it out.

Thanks man. There are a few tones I am inspired by, but I do love this one.

I know he uses the Axe Fx exclusively these days...

SDSM

Reaction score
I guess I am not too far from it as I use his signature guitar and the 707, only I use Line 6 gear.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back. So here's the deal: I've given up. I'm in a crucial moment of the writing and recording phase of some music, and I find myself constantly stymied by tone tweaking. I know exactly what I want, and can get really close, but I can't ever nail it. I'm going for a clear, low-gain distortion tone that still works in a metal context, like The Tony Danza's on their final album, or ITheRook's (forum poster Rook) stuff on his teasers.

Here's some clips.

Rook's:
https://soundcloud.com/itherook/eimn-16122012a

https://soundcloud.com/itherook/eb-test

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza:

It's a wet, pretty dynamic tone that bears the hallmarks of distortion but none of the in-your-face sizzle and buzz like I'm used to. I've come close to approximating it with the Soldano Crunch amp model with a T-75 4038 Ribbon and the usual EQs. No OD pedals, as the drive on the amp delivers that saturated but clear sound at 50%. For a boost I'm using the Mid-Focus EQ with scant low and high passes and some gain for volume.

But I'm still not close! I'll put up clips tonight or tomorrow, but I feel like I'm too muddy and mid-heavy. Any EQ tweaks to alleviate this give me odd spikes in the smoothness of the distortion, or makes it suddenly sound hollow or brittle. I don't understand dual-amping enough to try it myself, though I should, eh?

If a list of gear helps, I'm using a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7 with an EMG 707X bridge, SD Blackout neck. All mahogany, ebony fretboard, so pretty dark in general. I'm going straight from my Pod to REAPER.

Help would be lovely!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks man. There are a few tones I am inspired by, but I do love this one.

I know he uses the Axe Fx exclusively these days...

I'll have a tinker with it tomorrow night some time. In the meantime, feel free to check out my patch guide video that I posted two or three pages ago. It will give you a visual on some of the things in Bobbo's guide, as well as my basic approach to dialing in a tone.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm back. So here's the deal: I've given up. I'm in a crucial moment of the writing and recording phase of some music, and I find myself constantly stymied by tone tweaking. I know exactly what I want, and can get really close, but I can't ever nail it. I'm going for a clear, low-gain distortion tone that still works in a metal context, like The Tony Danza's on their final album, or ITheRook's (forum poster Rook) stuff on his teasers.

Here's some clips.

Rook's:
https://soundcloud.com/itherook/eimn-16122012a

https://soundcloud.com/itherook/eb-test

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza:

It's a wet, pretty dynamic tone that bears the hallmarks of distortion but none of the in-your-face sizzle and buzz like I'm used to. I've come close to approximating it with the Soldano Crunch amp model with a T-75 4038 Ribbon and the usual EQs. No OD pedals, as the drive on the amp delivers that saturated but clear sound at 50%. For a boost I'm using the Mid-Focus EQ with scant low and high passes and some gain for volume.

But I'm still not close! I'll put up clips tonight or tomorrow, but I feel like I'm too muddy and mid-heavy. Any EQ tweaks to alleviate this give me odd spikes in the smoothness of the distortion, or makes it suddenly sound hollow or brittle. I don't understand dual-amping enough to try it myself, though I should, eh?

If a list of gear helps, I'm using a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7 with an EMG 707X bridge, SD Blackout neck. All mahogany, ebony fretboard, so pretty dark in general. I'm going straight from my Pod to REAPER.

Help would be lovely!

I'll also have a tinker with this one tomorrow. I'm familiar with some of the Danza. Carroll 14 wossman 7 is an intense song and the play through vid of the one guitarists fretboard is inspiring.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I *may* have finally made some progress with my hd500. At the moment I am seemingly running stable on v1.31. I am going to bide my time a little and see if this holds up and then I'll take the leap to try and get it up to date. Fingers crossed

EDIT: As I posted this it randomly went into the infinite boot cycle again :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

fraxtal

Reaction score
eek that bass tone is horrible in his tutorial - gotta better sound with just one amp model and a gate

')