This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SDSM

Reaction score
This may be a problem with my pickups rather than with the Pod HD, but I had some EMGs installed in a guitar, and I plugged it into my Pod to record, and the output on the pickups is incredibly loud. Here's the waveform (same preset, EMGs are the second set obviously):

Lowered the pickups, same thing. I've rolled the volume back some, but it doesn't seem to help until it gets to non-distorted volumes. Anyone else have this problem with actives into the Pod HD, or are mine just f'd up? Suppose I can try it into my actual amp tomorrow when it's not so late, see if it appears to be too loud there too.

Mmmm thats odd, I use the POD HD Bean too and I have EMG 707s installed and this doesnt seem to happen with me...

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
When your using cab sims, every sim will sound different. If you hooked up your micro terror to a different cab it would sound different.

Not really what i was asking,

what i was asking is how big off a difference there would be going from my current set up to a FRFR route. I know there will be some difference but how much? trying to gauge if its really worth it. I cant exactly take my set up to a music shop to do a side by side comparison of the two setups.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Not really what i was asking,

what i was asking is how big off a difference there would be going from my current set up to a FRFR route. I know there will be some difference but how much? trying to gauge if its really worth it. I cant exactly take my set up to a music shop to do a side by side comparison of the two setups.

I answered your question.... There's a big difference between each sim so obviously there will be a big difference. You also have to factor in that it will sound like a mic'd speaker instead of a direct one.

Short answer YES.

MikeDojcsak

Reaction score
Is there a way to update to the latest firmware (not software) without using Line 6 Monkey? I ask because my recording computer isn't set up for the internet. I have the latest software installed and the newest amps (Epic, Doom, Soldanos) show up in the Line 6 Edit, but just sound like a muted guitar when played, like the firmware isn't there. I noticed the firmware and software numbers don't match when I looked into it, so I assumed this was the problem.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a way to update to the latest firmware (not software) without using Line 6 Monkey? I ask because my recording computer isn't set up for the internet. I have the latest software installed and the newest amps (Epic, Doom, Soldanos) show up in the Line 6 Edit, but just sound like a muted guitar when played, like the firmware isn't there. I noticed the firmware and software numbers don't match when I looked into it, so I assumed this was the problem.

You could possibly download the firmware file onto a flash drive and put it on your other computer that way. Or, just connect it online....

Reaction score
Is anybody else having a difficult time dialling in a good tone with EMG's? More specifically 81-7's? I made a pretty good treadplate patch that I used on my EP. I thought it was good but then I listen to bands and feel like my tones don't come anywhere close. I've gotten awesome bass and clean tones, but I feel stuck making those uber djenty, yet full tones. I know its me and not the unit, because you guys seem to get awesome results. Im just starting to feel super discouraged! Im trying to get close to this:

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Is anybody else having a difficult time dialling in a good tone with EMG's? More specifically 81-7's? I made a pretty good treadplate patch that I used on my EP. I thought it was good but then I listen to bands and feel like my tones don't come anywhere close. I've gotten awesome bass and clean tones, but I feel stuck making those uber djenty, yet full tones. I know its me and not the unit, because you guys seem to get awesome results. Im just starting to feel super discouraged! Im trying to get close to this:

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

I think the problem is the emg's. I don't have any problems making tones with my pickups. My tones aren't as good as some pro recordings, but they have high profile producers working their magic. I'm not quite there yet lol

Also, if your looking for help, posting samples of your tones in comparison to what your going for could make a big difference.

Reaction score

Dude, you can download the latest firmware which isn't even 1 Mb, load it on a pendrive along the monkey and update. Monkey just checks if everything is up to date, but you can choose not to and just make it to update the firmware from the file you downloaded. Easy as that.

I don't mean to rant on you, but you can take 2 mins to check on the manual and learn how to do this instead of waiting for someone to answer.

Reaction score
I think the problem is the emg's. I don't have any problems making tones with my pickups. My tones aren't as good as some pro recordings, but they have high profile producers working their magic. I'm not quite there yet lol

Also, if your looking for help, posting samples of your tones in comparison to what your going for could make a big difference.

I play in a totally different tuning than Northlane, but this is as close as Ive gotten to achieving a modern, full, djenty sound.

https://soundcloud.com/karoshiband/sso-need-tone-help

Here's that same tone in a mix

https://soundcloud.com/karoshiband/03-ifrit-ifrit-ep

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Hey hey

I'm looking for a power amp to run a HD300
A friend of mine mentioned that both himself & the other guitarist in their band use Gallien-Krueger MB200 bass power amps to run their PODs with absolutely no problems at all. Light, small & can just fit into their luggage when they tour

I'm thinking of running with that?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hey hey

I'm looking for a power amp to run a HD300
A friend of mine mentioned that both himself & the other guitarist in their band use Gallien-Krueger MB200 bass power amps to run their PODs with absolutely no problems at all. Light, small & can just fit into their luggage when they tour

I'm thinking of running with that?

Do it. Any power amp works fine. It's the cab that makes the difference.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Do it. Any power amp works fine. It's the cab that makes the difference.

It'll be a Genz Benz G-Flex 4x12

gflex412g_sm.jpg

It's always been a really reliable cab.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
It'll be a Genz Benz G-Flex 4x12

gflex412g_sm.jpg

It's always been a really reliable cab.

Isn't that a bass cab though? It will sound like shit running a guitar through it. Bass speakers have a different frequency response.

I would suggest an actual guitar cab, or to use keyboard speakers. Keyboard speakers are more of an FRFR setup so you can use cab modeling with them.

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Isn't that a bass cab though? It will sound like shit running a guitar through it. Bass speakers have a different frequency response.

I would suggest an actual guitar cab, or to use keyboard speakers. Keyboard speakers are more of an FRFR setup so you can use cab modeling with them.

It is a guitar cab, they do both

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Spdif would eliminate converting from digital to analog to digital. You would get better quality.
K, thx.

I don't have a dedicated SPDIF cable, but have some hq rca cables that are the same plug....anything different about the guts of it or should those work?

Reaction score
K, thx.

I don't have a dedicated SPDIF cable, but have some hq rca cables that are the same plug....anything different about the guts of it or should those work?

They should work fine. I use a regular RCA cable and it has worked just fine. I guess that if you have problems, they should be audible in the digital domain :flame:

')