This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so Im recroding some demo guitars and using pod for tones and external IR's

I cant figure out how to mute the dry signal from the pod when using it as a soundcard to monitor wet only from the DAW ? can it be done

meambobbo

Reaction score
my eset is saying it had a virus, so i edited my post and removed the link. it originally didn't have that, which is ashame, bc like the first response on this post is a huge list of screamer and various other awesome pedal sims there are.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
so Im recroding some demo guitars and using pod for tones and external IR's

I cant figure out how to mute the dry signal from the pod when using it as a soundcard to monitor wet only from the DAW ? can it be done

Control Panel>Line 6 Audio-Midi devices>hardware montitor level all the way down.

jimwratt

Reaction score
A few questions:
Backstory (if you're interested):

I'm thinking about getting one of these units but I'm not fully sure of which one I should get.

Currently I have a Boss GT8, which does everything but metal very well. Metal metal models tend to sound thin or way to woofy and have "cocked wah" issues. You basically can't dial the crap out of the metal tones (what do you expect from the people who brought us the metal zone?). It also doesn't have USB capabilities of a thriving user community with any level of compatibility.

Amp-wise, I have a Mesa lonestar special, which, for my uses, can not be surpassed for low and mid gain tones in a live setting, though it can be matched.

What I'm looking for in a unit is a good progressive metal/djent sound in a box that I can record via USB (I want to be able to edit tones/signal chains after I record). I'd like to have 4cm functionality if playing live as well, which I don't do anymore as of late, but would like to in the future. I use a pretty simple signal chain so its not inconceivable for me to put an all analog pedal board together when that time comes again.

Actual question:
Obviously the HD500 covers all those bases and then some. I however curious about the 400 and the bean, as well as the X3 live. The X3 live was the unit (foolishly) didnt choose in favor of my gt8. If my gt8 did an adequate job with modern metal, I wouldn't even be looking for a new unit. Admittedly, I made my previous decision based on Internet research, reviews, and clips rather than from actually playing the units first (I was away in college and didn't have access to any stores that actually carries the units). Boss put out a clip called "gut punch" that was especially misleading.

I say all that because I'm not fully sold on whether I need to step up to the HD level if the X3 would be adequate. I would have to sell my gt8 to afford any new unit, so I'm not sure if its worth putting an extra $200-250 with that to get an HD when a new unit might be around the corner (?). How far into the development cycle are we with the hd500/bean. They just came out with the hd500x, would that imply that other upgraded hardware is on the horizon?

Tbh, I wish they had a super stripped down floor board with 3-4 models that you can choose to load onto it, a delay, reverb, compressor, and eq with an fx loop. Basically an m5 with amp modeling.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
A few questions:

I'm thinking about getting one of these units but I'm not fully sure of which one I should get.

Currently I have a Boss GT8, which does everything but metal very well. Metal metal models tend to sound thin or way to woofy and have "cocked wah" issues. You basically can't dial the crap out of the metal tones (what do you expect from the people who brought us the metal zone?). It also doesn't have USB capabilities of a thriving user community with any level of compatibility.

Amp-wise, I have a Mesa lonestar special, which, for my uses, can not be surpassed for low and mid gain tones in a live setting, though it can be matched.

What I'm looking for in a unit is a good progressive metal/djent sound in a box that I can record via USB (I want to be able to edit tones/signal chains after I record). I'd like to have 4cm functionality if playing live as well, which I don't do anymore as of late, but would like to in the future. I use a pretty simple signal chain so its not inconceivable for me to put an all analog pedal board together when that time comes again.

Actual question:
Obviously the HD500 covers all those bases and then some. I however curious about the 400 and the bean, as well as the X3 live. The X3 live was the unit (foolishly) didnt choose in favor of my gt8. If my gt8 did an adequate job with modern metal, I wouldn't even be looking for a new unit. Admittedly, I made my previous decision based on Internet research, reviews, and clips rather than from actually playing the units first (I was away in college and didn't have access to any stores that actually carries the units). Boss put out a clip called "gut punch" that was especially misleading.

I say all that because I'm not fully sold on whether I need to step up to the HD level if the X3 would be adequate. I would have to sell my gt8 to afford any new unit, so I'm not sure if its worth putting an extra $200-250 with that to get an HD when a new unit might be around the corner (?). How far into the development cycle are we with the hd500/bean. They just came out with the hd500x, would that imply that other upgraded hardware is on the horizon?

Tbh, I wish they had a super stripped down floor board with 3-4 models that you can choose to load onto it, a delay, reverb, compressor, and eq with an fx loop. Basically an m5 with amp modeling.

My vote's in for the HD500. You get more flexibility and you have footswitchability as opposed to the bean

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
A few questions:

Actual question:

They have stripped down units. They're called the hd300 and hd400. If your planning on playing live, just go with the hd500. If you only ever use one tone in a live situation, you could get away with the bean. The hd500x compared to the hd500 is like a special edition car. They slap on some badges, add 5hp and charge way more.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
They have stripped down units. They're called the hd300 and hd400. If your planning on playing live, just go with the hd500. If you only ever use one tone in a live situation, you could get away with the bean. The hd500x compared to the hd500 is like a special edition car. They slap on some badges, add 5hp and charge way more.

The HD500X is the price the HD500 was, and the 500's gone down in price, I believe

jimwratt

Reaction score
^Truth. You might as well just save $100 and go with the HD500 over the HD500x.

That's what I was thinking. How frequently do they roll out with a new generation of gear? Is there any actual improvement in functionality?

I'm excited. In my 15 years of playing, I've never had a modern metal tone to work with. This could be fun.

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. How frequently do they roll out with a new generation of gear? Is there any actual improvement in functionality?

I'm excited. In my 15 years of playing, I've never had a modern metal tone to work with. This could be fun.

By Generation do you mean like what they did with the HD500 to 500X or by going from X3 to Pro?

In either case, it didn't take long to go from the HD500 to 500X obv. And the HD Pro X is going to come eventually, my guess within the next year. As far as jumping from the X3 to HD generations... I believe the X3s were released sometime in 2007 and we're in 2013 now...

Functionality in the HD500 to 500X isn't different in any way. The only difference is the number of effects you can put in the chain before the units go to lunch.

Speaking about functionality in the X3 to HD models, I find the user interface in the X3 to be clunky whereas the HD Pro is clean and easy to read.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

The HD series has been out for at least two years now and the hd500x just came out.

jimwratt

Reaction score
By Generation do you mean like what they did with the HD500 to 500X or by going from X3 to Pro?

In either case, it didn't take long to go from the HD500 to 500X obv. And the HD Pro X is going to come eventually, my guess within the next year. As far as jumping from the X3 to HD generations... I believe the X3s were released sometime in 2007 and we're in 2013 now...

Functionality in the HD500 to 500X isn't different in any way. The only difference is the number of effects you can put in the chain before the units go to lunch.

Speaking about functionality in the X3 to HD models, I find the user interface in the X3 to be clunky whereas the HD Pro is clean and easy to read.

Yeah, I meant in terms of the shift from x3 to hd. I just don't want to go through saving up for a dream unit only to have a much better one come out 6-12 months later at the same price point.

I would guess that the amp modeling itself wouldn't improve that much but that the cabinet modeling would improve a lot along with the "feel" of playing through the unit. External IR are more plentiful than what can be built into a unit like this. Even people with the axe FX II use external IR from time to time, and the feel thing doesn't really matter too much to me. I'm not under any sort of illusion about what I'm plugging into or what it does. I just want it to sound good. Are there any credible rumors about what might come next?

Reaction score
Are there any credible rumors about what might come next?

None. You could reasonably assume that the next unit to come out would be the HD Pro X based on the fact that the DSP power in the 500 has been improved, and you could logically assume that they would want that same power in their Pro unit which is their flagship model. From a business standpoint it would make more sense to upgrade the Pro to Pro X because the Pro still costs more than the 500X which is the cheaper, more powerful unit. If you knew something was cheaper and more powerful, wouldn't you buy that over the more expensive and less powerful unit? Probably. So by upgrading the Pro to Pro X, Line 6 are maximizing their profits. That's why it's pretty obvious that the Pro X is coming.

Edit: As far as what's on the horizon for the NEXT model... I think they'll be supporting the HD series for a while since we're in a state of technology where products can be upgraded via software downloads. So don't expect another model for the next 5 to 7 years I would say.

surfthealien

Reaction score
I made a improv video I used bobbo's clean periphery patch a bass emulator patch and my own solo tone. I consume one of the many captain and cokes Ive had tonight. I used my iphone for this so the quality isnt incredible but for a free phone its really not bad. Cheers! :shred:

Decapitated666

Black Metal
Reaction score
Hey dudes, I'm a POD HD Pro user and a huge fan of the band Nails. Anyone interested in giving me some pointers on creating a tone as brutally crushing as the tone on Abandon All Life?

')