AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Any of you guys after super sludgy tones that can still be clear? I'm somewhat after that but can't seem to find a good middle point.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good idea or suggestion for a tapping tone? I'm thinking along the lines of scale the summit's clean sound. I haven't really tried yet, i'm just curious if anyone has had any luck getting something like this.

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Found a different way of recording DI with the Pod HD500 that sounds alot beastier!

Rundown:
Guitar plugs into the guitar-in.
Then send one of the 1/4th outs (L or R) into input 4 on my interface (my interface has 4 line inputs, 4 mic inputs, a 1 MIDI input).
From there, plug SPDIF cable from POD into the SPDIF input on interface.
Now, when my DAW was up and running, it let me seperate what tracks go to which side in the listener's ear while monitoring in stereo. Inputs 1 & 2 (the SPDIF) go to the left, while inputs 3 & 4 (or just 4...which is the 1/4 out I plugged in) go to the right.
What I did was I opted to switch monitoring into "mono" so everything is centered in the listener's ear while playing back and recording. I have the SPDIF recording dry and I muted its inputs (1 & 2 on my interface) in the playback so I wouldn't "hear" it, but it is still recording while I am playing. (The reason I switched to "mono" while monitoring is that when you mute an input in stereo, you usually have that "emptiness" on either the left or the right side that the muted input should fill in.)
And as for the 1/4 out (I had plugged into input 4 in my interface), it was was centered and all I heard since I muted the other inputs (1 & 2) and had the monitoring set to "mono".

This method may seem confusing but it has allowed me to record DI via SPDIF in a mono or stereo format while ONLY hearing my wet, processed patch. It also eliminates some of the problems that can come with an analog-to-digital conversion and some other problems I have experienced while using other methods to record DI.

Thanks man! that sounds like a really good method, i was doing a similar thing but dealing with the wet sound only on one side.

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
I actually have been very content with my POD HD500 for the longest time now. Got it when it first came out. Sold my POD X3 on Ebay to buy the HD500.

It's just recently I've been rather bummed out. Compared it to a buddy's Axe-Fx, and the tone out of the POD just felt "ball-less" (yes, without balls) in comparison.

I usually go as simple as possible. RickyCigs on here taught me that after I've examined some of his patches.

I got some REALLY good patches.....but it's just not "ballsy" or "meaty" (or "realistic") enough for me as of lately.

The best thing to do, that I've found, Is to combine two similar patches with different(ish) tones. Make one patch that you like, and then make a second one like it but add in the things that the first one is missing, like more grit in the mids or something. or more gain in the screamer, something like that. I've found that once you quad track with two tones like this (one tone 100% L + R - the other one 80% L + R) it sounds pretty "ballsy"

For me, i made a fireball patch with Q filter that was pretty bright that I could use to articulate melodies nicely. I liked it a lot, but then I noticed it didn't have enough chunk to it, so I made a similar patch using the fireball, but I used a different cab and I added more gain on the Q filter and the amp. The second one had more grit and less clarity, but once I combine them it makes a really good blended sound.

I also focus the Q filters at slightly different frequencies so they spread across a larger area and sound a lot bigger.

This is pretty similar to meambobbo's dual cab technique, but I change the amp and EQ settings as well around the two cabs, it takes 2 patches but I really like the sound I get from it.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good idea or suggestion for a tapping tone? I'm thinking along the lines of scale the summit's clean sound. I haven't really tried yet, i'm just curious if anyone has had any luck getting something like this.

Haven't tried to, but I feel like a start may be one of the Blackface amp models with a comp, maybe a tube comp? Also with a light reverb on the end of the chain. I can't imagine it's anything very complex signal chain-wise. Unfortunately can't test anything out right now as I'm not home, but I'm curious about getting a tone like this as well.

Also trying to get a tapping tone with some distortion for tapping on the lower strings. My main F-Ball patch sounds like it's going in the right direction, but it can be kinda noisy for it, and the gates are really tight so some notes get faded out. Going for something AAL-ish or segments of Rook's Unfinity E.P. (some REALLY cool tones in that btw.)

AaronGraves

Reaction score
Playing through this sounds really good!

Also, dem gates. :lol:

Thank you sir! I'm glad you dig it! I'm about to upload something I just threw together!

Haha you're telling me! I switched the gates back to the noise gates instead of the hard gates. I can never get those things dialed in :wallbash:

Nemonic

Reaction score
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used thr HD 500.
We discussed studio vs live settings in this thread mainly with Bobbo. The setting is that the settings would differ. Here is something that surprised me a lot - Misha Mansoor answer on Ask FM. Kind of changes a lot for me.

"How different are your guitar sounds live compared to in the studio?"
"Very different. Live it's all about cutting through a mix at volume, so only the essential frequencies are there, we are HPF pretty high around 140ish and LPF is around 5500k. In the studio we can get away with much more scooped tones. I guess the character is similar, but live tone on a recording would just sound like a midrangey mess."

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a patch that resembles the Feared tone from the Rejects album? I haven't really used my pod much lately but last night I was tweaking to match my ReValver tone and it turned out fairly well. Probably my favorite treadplate tone so far. For some reason I just haven't gotten along with that model.

meambobbo

Reaction score

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
the soldano redwirez are by far the best. they sound good with all the mics. they sound like the same speaker but with a different mic. perhaps line6 could learn something from that lol

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a patch that resembles the Feared tone from the Rejects album? I haven't really used my pod much lately but last night I was tweaking to match my ReValver tone and it turned out fairly well. Probably my favorite treadplate tone so far. For some reason I just haven't gotten along with that model.

no one? ok. ill keep it to myself then.

')