This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
^ I'm kidding dude. But my point was the OP shouldn't feel too bad. It's not as if he's Jeff Loomis or anything, though he's much better than I was at that age. But I maintain my position that salmon pants are simply unforgivable.

In my humble opinion, I think I managed to get a sweet-ass tone out of the JCM 800. As you can tell from the sample, I tried to sort of approximate that old-school Mastodon tone, but tighten it up a bit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zzm40fbxjg6tzze/jimjonesdeluxe.mp3

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/243823/

You can always turn down the OD to get rid of the fuzz. Let me know what you guys think.

Btw, you should turn the pad on for this patch.

ayaotd

Reaction score
Do you guys have any tips on recording tapping? Any settings or ways you set up your pod patches that aide in the process?

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Seriously? He is pretty awesome for 16. Have you checked out any of his solos on youtube? Some of them he must have only been like 14. His most recent one is pretty boss.

Okay, in my defense, there was no solo in the video posted. He does indeed shred.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
Im looking for a set of monitors to go along with my HD PRO.
From what i've read over the past couple of days, there are some pro's & cons on each set.

M-Audio Dx8 d2 - Full & really good for its price, but some state that the guitars lack character.

Yamaha Hs80's. Superior for mixing. But they need a sub, even though they have 8" woofers.

Blah Blah

morethan6

Reaction score
^ No, no they definitely don't need a sub. If anything the HS80s are hyped in the bass. Your room just needs treatment. :)

Hs80s /HS8s are really good man.

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
^ No, no they definitely don't need a sub. If anything the HS80s are hyped in the bass. Your room just needs treatment. :)

Hs80s /HS8s are really good man.

I havent tried them yet =)
Im going to the shop today to A/B/C/Z test monitors. Im just trying to prepare myself so i dont need to test 20 different sets =)

morethan6

Reaction score
I havent tried them yet =)
Im going to the shop today to A/B/C/Z test monitors. Im just trying to prepare myself so i dont need to test 20 different sets =)

Yeah man, it's all about the testing - but bear in mind nothing can overcome room problems, not even £12,000 monitors :)

Just pick your comfortable budget, and buy some room treatment. At least bass traps to stop it building up and cancelling itself out...

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
Yeah man, it's all about the testing - but bear in mind nothing can overcome room problems, not even £12,000 monitors :)

Just pick your comfortable budget, and buy some room treatment. At least bass traps to stop it building up and cancelling itself out...

First things to go home with the chosen set, is a pair of monitor pads. Im redoing my recording room, so i'll wait a bit with the room treatment until i know how much i need =)

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
Adam-f5-stereo-setup1.jpg

I ended up with these. I was literally blown away by them and ended up using 200 more than i planned for :S

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hello friends

I know I've posted this track many times, trying to find a guitar tone that approaches the Misha's guitar tone. I think that this time I was a little closer, do you think?

Greetings

https://soundcloud.com/estebansoto/new-groove-cover-guitar-tone

It sounds a little too honky and a little too smooth. Try a cut with the parametric at 47% for the frequency. You could also possibly pre-eq a little more around 700hz. May not help, but its worth a shot.

You should also keep in mind that all three guitarists in periphery use slightly different tones.

Brootal93

Reaction score
Today I took the dive into the digital world, I've owned a couple pod pedals before, and I've used VST's. I have never tried any of it in a live setting though. My plan is to run Power Amp>Pod Pro>4x12 Cab. The band I'm in is a 6 piece. 3 guitarist, a bassist, drummer, and vocalist.

My question is, what's a good, but cheap power amp? I don't want to spend over $300 on a power amp really, because I know all power amps do the same thing, pretty much. I just need something with enough headroom that I don't have to CRANK it, and will keep up with two other guitarist? I don't want to go the FRFR system route, or buy the matrix, out of my price range.

Thanks a lot!

pathos45

Reaction score
All power amps do technically the same. But they can sound vastly different from one another. If u were going hd->power amp->cab check into tubed power amps too. Dont gotta go vht or mesa but a carvin or a peavey would be in that ball park and sound great.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
You can get a velocity 300 for that price. Also, i think i paid 350 for my Mesa 50/50, which i'm planning to keep forever at this point.

I've not tried some of the more general purpose power amps like the crowns and peaveys, but you can get alot of power for the $$$ going that route for sure.

EDIT: I see a carvin tube 100 power amp on GC used for $289 right now

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
I've been thinking about snagging a 50/50 power amp (though they seem hard to find, so maybe a 20/20?), and doing this:

Guitar > HD Pro > 50/50 through FX loop > 50/50 line out > HD Pro line level inputs > HD Pro to computer via USB (and cab sims, obviously).

Would that sound like shit, and is it even possible, or would I need a dummy load box?

')