MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I would try it with input 2 set to same, mixer set to 0, and then play with the return level on the pods fx loop.

Keep in mind that anything to the left of the fx loop block goes to the front end and anything after goes to the peaveys power amp.

Also, if your using gates, try turning them off and see if it makes a difference.

I have one gate after the loop. when i engage it the volume drops more. how come? where should i place my gate? I want to gate the front and the power amp.

I will play with the input and mixer setups even more tonight. Will let you know if I have unity.

appreciate all the input! im so new to this! all the resources I find in the web seem to have conflicting configurations. some even say that i need to put a studio eq somewhere in the chain but I dont want to lose another fx block.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
I have one gate after the loop. when i engage it the volume drops more. how come? where should i place my gate? I want to gate the front and the power amp.

I will play with the input and mixer setups even more tonight. Will let you know if I have unity.

appreciate all the input! im so new to this! all the resources I find in the web seem to have conflicting configurations. some even say that i need to put a studio eq somewhere in the chain but I dont want to lose another fx block.

Are you using the regular gate or the hard gate? I've experienced some volume drop with the regular gate at even minimal settings.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I have a little tone suck too compared with plugging direct. To be honest, I just gave up and accepted it - but it would be nice if we could figure out a way to not have any (or at least any noticeable) tone loss.

Even with no amp models or pedal models engaged, the tone suck was still there.

If anyone knows a FOR-SURE way to set up the 4CM with ZERO tone-suck, that'd be great. Thanks y'all!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

Sounds like your using the noise gate and not the hard gate. Put one hard gate before the fx loop block and one after. Start with the thresholds at around 60 and work from there.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Sounds like your using the noise gate and not the hard gate. Put one hard gate before the fx loop block and one after. Start with the thresholds at around 60 and work from there.

yeah i was using the regular noise gate. ill try the hard gate soon. tried the "same" option at input 2 and it seems that the signal is clearer and louder now. when i disengage the loop of the 6505 the pod tone is closer to the direct tone of the amp.

Nice!!!!

I still have a little sustain problem though even with no noise gate on. ill look up remedies for that. but yeah, im nearer my bypass tone.

I have a little tone suck too compared with plugging direct. To be honest, I just gave up and accepted it - but it would be nice if we could figure out a way to not have any (or at least any noticeable) tone loss.

If anyone knows a FOR-SURE way to set up the 4CM with ZERO tone-suck, that'd be great. Thanks y'all!

Hahahahaha! trust me man! I have been looking for that all day. I wish they had a chart or something that lists down all you need to do and the values you need to input. the closest i got to it is this:

http://amplifya.com/setting-up-your-tube-amp-with-a-pod-hd500/

I tried his setting. No luck there. Lucky that I just have a serial efx loop. What more if you have a parallel efx loop.

decreebass

Reaction score
Definitely appreciate that link, Mass Defect - I might try a few of those things out, though it doesn't seem like any of them are the answer - it's not really a volume issue, it's more like the Pod takes some of the high-end/clarity away from the overall tone... I'm gonna play around with it more tomorrow. I'll report back if I find anything that really works.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Definitely appreciate that link, Mass Defect - I might try a few of those things out, though it doesn't seem like any of them are the answer - it's not really a volume issue, it's more like the Pod takes some of the high-end/clarity away from the overall tone... I'm gonna play around with it more tomorrow. I'll report back if I find anything that really works.

yeah i get what you mean. it sounds like there is a blanket over the speakers. the sound is muffled and not as shimmery. really noticeable in the clean channel.

here is she by the way. gotta love those new footswitches.

1527131_10201447470974125_857578720_n.jpg

1512771_10201447470814121_2113448540_n.jpg

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure since the signal is going through D/A conversions in the pod, the tone suck is unavoidable. It's one of the things that drove me to just use the pod by itself. Got tired of dealing with the logistics of integrating it with an amp.

If you want to use both the pod and amp without tone suck, best way is to keep em separate and just A/B between the two - which has it's own issues.

decreebass

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure since the signal is going through D/A conversions in the pod, the tone suck is unavoidable. It's one of the things that drove me to just use the pod by itself. Got tired of dealing with the logistics of integrating it with an amp.

If you want to use both the pod and amp without tone suck, best way is to keep em separate and just A/B between the two - which has it's own issues.

I figured, but I haven't given up completely just yet :)

Like I said though, I can live with it; as long as I'm not A/B'ing the two tones, I don't really notice. I think after this last week I might even find my amp's true tone shrill haha.

Nah; I think I can live with the tone - I like the convenience that I have; I still hate that I have to tap two buttons to switch from my dirty channel to my clean channel and then kick on the effects for the clean channel. I dunno. I'm just gonna play around with it. I'm saving up for the Axe Fx anyway, so the Pod will soon enough be relegated to a backup device.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
you could always bypass the 4CM and use clean amps on the POD so you don't have to tapdance quite as much.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
After hours of auditioning tones and leveling patches, I found these 4 Cable mode settings to have the least amount of tone suck and volume loss on a 6505+ with 666 on the eq post at 3-4, pre at 5. Take note that I also use the HD500X pre amps for clean patches.:

Pod master- 70%
Input 1 Guitar
Input 2 Same
Vol Ch A +3db panned center
Vol Ch B +3db panned center
Guitar In Z- 3.5M
FX Loop block untouched unless needed for volume boost at return
1/4 out switch set to amp
Guitar in switch to normal
Stack Power Amp mode
Inputs setup set to Global
Back switch set to Stomp
Also helps to have a good eq pedal after the 6505+. I run a graphic eq to get back some bass.
And yeah, I no longer use the normal gate and instead go for the hard gate.
I give 2-4db clean volume boost on the fx loop return block for lead patches.

Does anyone run these settings or should I use another setting? Hope this helps.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
After hours of auditioning tones and leveling patches, I found these 4 Cable mode settings to have the least amount of tone suck and volume loss on a 6505+ with 666 on the eq post at 3-4, pre at 5. Take note that I also use the HD500X pre amps for clean patches.:

Pod master- 70%
Input 1 Guitar
Input 2 Same
Guitar In Z- 3.5M
FX Loop block untouched unless needed for volume boost at return
1/4 out switch set to amp
Guitar in switch to normal
Stack Power Amp mode
Inputs setup set to Global
Back switch set to Stomp
Also helps to have a good eq pedal after the 6505+. I run a graphic eq to get back some bass.
And yeah, I no longer use the normal gate and instead go for the hard gate.
I give 2-4db clean volume boost on the fx loop return block for lead patches.

Does anyone run these settings or should I use another setting? Hope this helps.

I never moved my eq from 666 when I had my 6505+

Also, your using the pods eq to bring the bass back?

bloodnail

Reaction score
OK so Idk if anyone has noticed this or not but I was messing with a new patch lastnight in the master deps and while it was on the amp I accidently muted the amp but still had a dirty sound coming through.I happen to notice another volume knob by itself where the amp controls would be.I thought Wtf is this and why do I still have a guitar sound coming through.I only run single amps panned center and channel b on mute.so I turned the volume parameter down and boom took that signal out.turned the amp off mute and to me it sounded much clearer and defined and realistic,had more of a tube type feel.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed that parameter knob before but to me it sounded like it cleaned the signal up a lot.thoughts anyone?

slothrop

Reaction score
So, I just got my HD500x and have been trying it out with the 4CM through my 6505+ stack. All is good but it sounds like I'm having some kind of tone loss. The 6505 sound is not so thick and doesnt sustain as much compared to when I plug direct. It sounds a little choked.

I followed the instructions on this video

but I'm still having tone suck.

My settings are as follows

Pod master- 100%
Input 1 Guiter
Input 2 Variax
Guitar In Z- 1M
Loop setting untouched

I have a patch with amp disabled, loop set in the middle and mixer set near the end. All cables are working great.

Is there some sort of STANDARD settings when using 4CM? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Create a blank patch, add an fx loop to the middle of the chain, add a studio eq just before the loop, boost the gain +6db or so should compensate for the loss. This is what I did on my 6505+ but boosted the gain higher, got the tip from Jim Reynolds 4cm guide at line6.

decreebass

Reaction score
you could always bypass the 4CM and use clean amps on the POD so you don't have to tapdance quite as much.

Brilliant idea!! I'm gonna try it out in the morning - just replace the FX Loop block with the amp model! What a great idea. I guess the only caveat is that then I'd be switching patches (tiny bit of lag) as opposed to turning an effect on/off... but that'd still be faster than changing channels AND changing effects :) Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Oh.... wait... Never mind. This won't work unless I change my setup to be patches instead of pedal board... Or time the "bank" button just right. Dangit.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Create a blank patch, add an fx loop to the middle of the chain, add a studio eq just before the loop, boost the gain +6db or so should compensate for the loss. This is what I did on my 6505+ but boosted the gain higher, got the tip from Jim Reynolds 4cm guide at line6.

would it be the same if i put a studio eq after the loop? i run all my eqs after the loop.

slothrop

Reaction score

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Just something i'd like to share about the POD HD modeling...

for LIVE use - meaning through a power amp and guitar cab at band volume, i'm finding my best tones are simply using the amp model, and a noise gate. Don't need any of the other EQ or Boost blocks to get a really good heavy rhythm tone. This is after 8-9 months of experimentation in a band setting. Again - this turned up to band volume and though a power amp.

So if, if you're struggling with a good heavy live tone, try the rectifier by itself, gain around 35%.

Cheers!

')