Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Using the Torpedo live with the POD HD would be amazing, but for a few hundred dollars more you can get an Axe FX.. Which is the exact same dilemma I'm in now.

I'd say the torpedo live would be a better choice. The quality of the cabs that torpedo lets you have is far above any other IR loader in my opinion. It also gives you the flexibility to have a cab box if you have an amp head you like, or find one you like without having to buy a cab!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paolosev91

Reaction score
NEW:

L and R channels provide a slightly different tone (I am not talking about paths, they both provide the same exact doubled left-right stereo signal from the amp).

Try the treadplate with sm57 on axis. Mute the left channel: less bass (maybe the only drawback), but more clarity, more "air" and less mud.
I didn't make frequency analysis but that's what I hear... very very interesting.

I found out it because I liked the sound when I was playing near to my right monitor better than the sound of my left monitor :D

I think it is worth experimenting with this feature, seems like Line6 has made a different mic simulation for the left and right channel to create a stereo sound, therefore we have 2 different mono sounds ---> 2 different tones for every mic.
I found panning an amp to mono (I'd say the right channel, still experimenting) is better than using EQs, I love it for practicing.
(The only problem is that with headphones is not the best solution, I managed to practice with mono sounds by plugging the headphone jack half-way... not the best solution but works, and also headphone tone really benefits from this new finding)

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
NEW:

L and R channels provide a slightly different tone (I am not talking about paths, they both provide the same exact doubled left-right stereo signal from the amp).

Try the treadplate with sm57 on axis. Mute the left channel: less bass (maybe the only drawback), but more clarity, more "air" and less mud.
I didn't make frequency analysis but that's what I hear... very very interesting.

I found out it because I liked the sound when I was playing near to my right monitor better than the sound of my left monitor :D

I think it is worth experimenting with this feature, seems like Line6 has made a different mic simulation for the left and right channel to create a stereo sound, therefore we have 2 different mono sounds ---> 2 different tones for every mic.
I found panning an amp to mono (I'd say the right channel, still experimenting) is better than using EQs, I love it for practicing.
(The only problem is that with headphones is not the best solution, I managed to practice with mono sounds by plugging the headphone jack half-way... not the best solution but works, and also headphone tone really benefits from this new finding)

I didn't hear any difference. I A/B'ed them after recording and played them on the same speaker and got exactly the same tone o.o

Reaction score
NEW:

I have found this to be true in my own experience too. Before I read this post. There is definitely a difference. When I record guitars I record them twice with the same patch onto two tracks in my DAW, panned 85% left and 85% right. If I play back each track solo the tone is different. One side sounds alot better than the other. Together they're good but if I have a riff where the left guitar (or right not sure which side it was) is solo for a moment, I know one side sounds shit and needs extra EQ to help sound right.

Paolosev91

Reaction score
I didn't hear any difference. I A/B'ed them after recording and played them on the same speaker and got exactly the same tone o.o

Maybe I used the wrong words... the "tone" is not really changing... the mic used is the same, my thought is that Line6 simulated the same mic but positioned in 2 different spots to capture a wider frequency spectrum. So the tone sounds the same, but the feeling is that they are equalized in a different way. Actually, I am getting better results isolating e.g. the right channel, instead of heavily equalizing the stereo mixed signal

vishallica

FumbDuck
Reaction score
Sounds good mate! What amp did you use?

Thanks man!!
for clean:
BF DOUBLE
for Distortion:
in this clip i used BF DOUBLE with LINE 6 DRIVE in front.
sometimes i like to experiment with AC-30 for distortion.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
So any tips for recording SPDIF? It seems like all the stuff I record is really weak in the signal captured.. I have the SPDIF level set at +3 and if I go above that it almost pushes me into clipping and makes my tone sound really harsh and glassy..

Seriously, any tips for SPDIF recording would be great. I even checked Meambobos' guide and not much on this.

Reaction score
So any tips for recording SPDIF? It seems like all the stuff I record is really weak in the signal captured.. I have the SPDIF level set at +3 and if I go above that it almost pushes me into clipping and makes my tone sound really harsh and glassy..

Seriously, any tips for SPDIF recording would be great. I even checked Meambobos' guide and not much on this.

Man...S/PDIF is not rocket science. If raising the levels on the S/PDIF output takes your signal into clipping, then the problem is elsewhere in the signal chain. Check for levels in the input of your audio interface to your DAW, check levels in the channel mixer of your DAW, check levels of the output of your DAW, and finally, check levels in your monitors.

arturocivit

7 String Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there guys, well, I ended with a HD POD 300 instead of my pedals because every time I needed to rehearsal and move the pedalboard it was a real PIA, I'm more than happy now with the size and weight of this thing, then I started editing and tweaking and ended with a nice 3 or 4 really cool clean tones, that kind of tone you hear in your head, however, with the distorted tone, well, that's another story, not completely happy, sometimes it gets muddier, sometimes it gets really dry if you know what I mean, so decided to ask for some help here and not to think I did something wrong by going with this thing instead keeping the bunch of pedals. I'll try to be as much as detailed as possible, first what I'm looking after is 2 different tones, one similar to Metallica black album and another one like the last Korn album, that kind of thick wall of sound, I'm using a generic tube amp (if you want to read a cool story about that amp point here Upgrading a cheap tube amp - MyLesPaul.com) and using only the clean channel with the following settings:

Treble: 4
Middle: 5
Bass: 4

I don't really want to change this settings because mixed with the POD clean tones it gives me a cool round sound, so I'm trying to keep those settings as they are now and tweak the POD as much as I can.

The main rhythm tone is the following one, I think my problem is here but frankly I'm not sure what else to do to achieve what I want:

settings.png

I tried a lot of things like changing the cabinets, the amps, the effects, etc, but right now what is most suitable for my ears is like the image above, but I'm not there yet.

Any of you guys with much more experience with this unit can help?

Thanks!

Arturo

CD1221

Reaction score
I have no idea what the limitations of the HD300 are, but you need to go here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/133583-line-6-pod-hd-thread.html

and here:

MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Contents

For a start, read the last 20 or 30 pages of the pod thread and look for patches by kane, meambobbo and rickycigs. Analysing those patches in conjunction with reading meambobbo's guide gives you everything you need.

That said, the 300 has fx limitations that limit what you can do, so you may have to modify some stuff to suit.

Good luck!

EDIT: the other thing to note is that the way you are using it will impact heavily on distorted tones. The pod is designed to be run into a full range system, like a PA. Running it into the front end of a guitar amp means the pod output is running through the full preamp, power amo and speakers of your amp on top of the modelling. You may need to run the amp models preamp only and turn off the cabinet modelling, or try a different output mode to disable that stuff.

I run my 500 into a powered pa speaker, so I can't really help with the specifics of running the unit through a guitar amp.

UncurableZero

Reaction score
If you want the wall of sound rhythm tone try the high gain amp sims (Uberschall, Mesa, ENGL, Soldano) rather than a clean amp with a distortion upfront.
Try a Screamer with the volume on 10 and the drive on 0 to tighten things up.
Also plug the POD in the FX return of the amp you're using and see if you like it better.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I'd say you should start with disabling the cab sim, and make sure to use the pre-only models straight into the fx return on the amp as mentioned above.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
If you want the wall of sound rhythm tone try the high gain amp sims (Uberschall, Mesa, ENGL, Soldano) rather than a clean amp with a distortion upfront.
Try a Screamer with the volume on 10 and the drive on 0 to tighten things up.
Also plug the POD in the FX return of the amp you're using and see if you like it better.

I agree 100%. On the Pod, the best distorted tones are from the high gain amps rather than the pedal models.

As far as mimicking the Metallica & Korn tones, you probably won't get all the way there simply because the guitar tracks you hear on their recordings have tons of post production done to them as well as the fact that sometimes they have more than 1 amp mixed together for their overall tone. You can probably get in the ballpark but don't be disappointed if you can't nail it exactly.

Alphanumeric

Reaction score
Gate > Tube Screamer (no drive, volume/tone around 2, mids 2, bass 5, treble 2) > Rectifier (mids 3/4, bass 7/8, treble 5, gain 6/7) > V30xxl 4x12

For a Metallica kinda sound.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Gate > Tube Screamer (no drive, volume/tone around 2, mids 2, bass 5, treble 2) > Rectifier (mids 3/4, bass 7/8, treble 5, gain 6/7) > V30xxl 4x12

For a Metallica kinda sound.

You don't know what album tone he was after, maybe he wanted the RTL tone?

')