This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I tweaked the hell out of that patch and couldn't get it to my liking without completely reworking it. I've determined my taste in POD HD tones vastly differs from others' :lol: Sounds good in your mix though!

Also, dat avatar. Babou!

I have an unusual taste in tones :lol:

chrisxrome

Reaction score
I was gonna post my own thread asking this seeing as my want for a POD HD has been questioned by a friend who uses the XT

What are the differences between them?

I wanted to use the HD doubled up as a recording unit. Can this be done with the XT?

I'm a gear noob and wanted folks inputs that actually know what they're talking about.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: It's the XT live he uses. Shoulda specified

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I was gonna post my own thread asking this seeing as my want for a POD HD has been questioned by a friend who uses the XT

What are the differences between them?

I wanted to use the HD doubled up as a recording unit. Can this be done with the XT?

I'm a gear noob and wanted folks inputs that actually know what they're talking about.

Thanks guys!

what do you mean by "doubled up," do you mean like double-tracked guitar? Because you can do that with any amp, as long as you can record multiple tracks in your DAW.

If you mean "Dual Amps" (which doesn't sound doubletracked), the XT doesn't do this, however the X3 does (same models as XT) and the HD does.

chrisxrome

Reaction score
what do you mean by "doubled up," do you mean like double-tracked guitar? Because you can do that with any amp, as long as you can record multiple tracks in your DAW.

If you mean "Dual Amps" (which doesn't sound doubletracked), the XT doesn't do this, however the X3 does (same models as XT) and the HD does.

Well from what I've heard, you can't use the pedal units for home recording like you can with the HD. But I'm not 100% sure, which is why I'm here I guess.

I originally looked into the desktop HD cause they're cheaper, take up less space and I can use it in a live setting + recording interface.

Paolosev91

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know PODHD500X has more power...
do you know if the POD HD500X has also less latency compared to the POD HD 500?
For example: if I have a blank patch with only a full amp model, will I have less latency with the HD500X?
I play with a blackstar with the 4cm method.
I like both the amp's pre and the pod full models,
but I notice a lot more latency when using:
1) guitar->pod->amp model->pod line out->amp fx loop return
instead of: 2) guitar->pod->pod fx loop send->real amp preamp->pod fx loop return->pod line out ->amp fx loop return
which gives me less latency since, even if use twice an A/D and D/A conversion, the pod doesn't have to simulate an amp so there's no processor latency.

Thank you guys for the infos about asio drivers and using pod with pc.
I was asking if someone who tried both HD500 and HD500X noticed a difference in latency while playing directly into a guitar cab/power amp system (without using a pc!).
I discovered that every effect I add to the chain adds a noticeable amount of latency, and this is added to the multiple A/D D/A conversions made by guitar in, fx loop out, fx loop in, line out ports. At the end of the chain, I figured out that using pod in 4cm without any effect or amp model has a really higher latency then using my real amp all alone. But, more than that, I found out that using 1 or 2 effects really adds more latency and spoils my playing, and full amp models really add noticeable milliseconds and make guitar playing less natural to me.
Just wondering if HD500X features, let's say, half the latency... If so, I would buy it.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well from what I've heard, you can't use the pedal units for home recording like you can with the HD. But I'm not 100% sure, which is why I'm here I guess.

I originally looked into the desktop HD cause they're cheaper, take up less space and I can use it in a live setting + recording interface.

sure you can, only difference between the floorboard and the desktop unit is the floorboard has pedals on it, and additional outputs (XLR). You can direct record with both (via USB or spdif).

XT bean/XT live are both the same, and the HD desktop/HD 500 are both the same.

Reaction score
sure you can, only difference between the floorboard and the desktop unit is the floorboard has pedals on it, and additional outputs (XLR). You can direct record with both (via USB or spdif).

XT bean/XT live are both the same, and the HD desktop/HD 500 are both the same.

Also, HD500 has a PAD switch and the Desktop HD doesn't. This comes useful when using high-gain pickups which seem to clip the input, which ends in f***ing the signal from scratch.

HD500 is the way to salvation. Join us.

chrisxrome

Reaction score
Didn't know that! You guys are awesome.

So now the obvious questions - which may also lead to an obvious answer - is

Between the HD500, XT live and the X3 live. Which has the best tones to come out of it? Can you download patches to get more up to date models on them?

I'll mainly be playing progressive metal. Think: older After the Burial, Misery Signals, Modern Day Babylon kinda stuff.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Didn't know that! You guys are awesome.

So now the obvious questions - which may also lead to an obvious answer - is

Between the HD500, XT live and the X3 live. Which has the best tones to come out of it? Can you download patches to get more up to date models on them?

I'll mainly be playing progressive metal. Think: older After the Burial, Misery Signals, Modern Day Babylon kinda stuff.

I say the HD series is your friend. With the right tweaking I've got some ludicrously clear and defined tones from it.

chrisxrome

Reaction score
I say the HD series is your friend. With the right tweaking I've got some ludicrously clear and defined tones from it.

So would I be better off looking into getting a HD500? I've heard they're good for live use. But heard nothing recording wise which is why I didn't search any further.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Also, HD500 has a PAD switch and the Desktop HD doesn't. This comes useful when using high-gain pickups which seem to clip the input, which ends in f***ing the signal from scratch.

HD500 is the way to salvation. Join us.

Just as a public service announcement for everyone in this thread, I felt like an enormous tool but I realized last week that the +18db option was turned on on my POD from the factory months and months ago, and I never realized it haha. Had to go into my computer's MIDI input settings. Always turn this off! I was compensating by driving down the amp volume or the mixer channel volume, but it's better to stop it at the source.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
I recorded a thing with some minorly tweaked guitar and bass tones.

[sc]http://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/smile-clip[/sc]

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Think I found a sweet tone, but you need an external EQ since you can't do it with the POD eq. Try this:

1. Hard gate
2. Screamer (45-85-55-0-100)
3. Treadplate full with Treadplate cab, 421 dynamic.
Master 35, sag 35, hum 0, bias 65, bias x 50.
Low cut 70, Res 50, Thump 45, Decay 45.
Drive 65, bass 20, mid 75, treble 65, pres 50, ER 0.

Now, that's a little squishy. Load up an EQ and do this:

-3db cut at 385hz, Q of 2.55.
+1.5db at 1600 with a Q of .55

Low pass wherever you want it.

Gives a super dense, full tone with good definition IMO. I usually cut around 250-300, but I moved it up to the "cardboard zone" on this one and increased the Q to compensate. I love it so far.

')