This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
What do you guys use as an input source for your HDs, guitar/guitar(same) or guitar/variax?

I posted a thread two days ago on that topic, some people I've asked say that the second option is better while the others disagree.

Reaction score
What do you guys use as an input source for your HDs, guitar/guitar(same) or guitar/variax?

I posted a thread two days ago on that topic, some people I've asked say that the second option is better while the others disagree.

I use guitar/same but I build a left chain and leave the right one muted on the mixer and send the left one to the center. I also use the PAD switch on.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Just ordered a HD500X to replace my HD500! woop!

I need the extra power to fuel my bass patches. Lots of EQ and compression and filtering work happening in a dual tone, and the HD500 can't handle that!

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
No. I use passive on both guitars; D-Activator Bridge on the 7-string and a D-Sonic on the sixer.

So why do you turn the PAD on, don't tell me you're clipping? I use X2N, it's even hotter. :scratch:

Btw can you send me (or post here) a screenshot of one of your presets created that way you described above?

Reaction score
So why do you turn the PAD on, don't tell me you're clipping? I use X2N, it's even hotter. :scratch:

Btw can you send me (or post here) a screenshot of one of your presets created that way you described above?

I use the PAD on since Meambobbo's guide and most around here suggests to do so. Besides, I use the Screamer before the Amp simulation so I'm not short of gain in any stage.

When I used the PAD off I didn't feel it was clipping on the input, and furthermore, my patches were single and consisted with only the amp and no Screamer before it or EQ after it. I liked them and even used them in my latest Leechmaster record:

https://play.spotify.com/album/1PkeuxEF137HRBiLjWutWw

Or if you prefer:

Desierto | Leechmaster

Songs 1/2/4 were recorded with stock pickups and an Ibanez Premium RG827 (CAP IBZ pickups). Song 3 was amazingly recorded with a X2N in the bridge of an Ibanez RG470 (Remember, PAD off, single chain). I recorded song 5 after replacing stock PU in the RG827 and installed a D-Activator 7 in the bridge.

I feel it was usable, but after reading about clipping a lot (And I also engineer my records as well as other bands records, so clipping is a big NO) I decided to remake my patches the way I mentioned earlier. Maybe it's the mid-focus EQ I'm using now, but patches sound more defined, and I got rid of a lot of fizziness that previous patches had.

I'm gonna finish having lunch and I'll post a screenshot of one of my patches.

Reaction score
My main direct studio patch:

98yt08.jpg

2irpwfk.jpg

35bh8ap.jpg

Oxidation_Shed

Nightman.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I did a tutorial explaining how I go about dialing in a rhythm tone on the Pod HD Pro because I was sick of just seeing ones using the Engl and the XXL cab as I'm not crazy on either.
Hopefully pitched at a level where anyone can understand it, I'd really appreciate some feedback if you did or didn't find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jalJ50tPrA

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Have a clean tone for once, guys! Will post patch on request.

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/pod-hd-clean-demo-in-the-vein-of-misha-mansoor[/sc]

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Line 6 CustomTone
There ya go! Enjoy. For what it's worth, I used the middle position on a dual-humbucker-equipped guitar in that clip.

What you do there by having the amp drive at 0% and no cab is interesting.

I tried to make a clean patch with that logic and it kind of sounds like the piezacoustic model in the previous generation pods. I can't get rid of the "DI-ness completely", but it's nice.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Tnx for the tips @leech, I'll give it a try, thats for sure....@kane wolf's approach aswell.

Well this is probably my first HD500 recording, trying to dig into that NEAERA-ish guitars tone. Guitar/same, Guitar in - NORMAL (which I probably won't be using for the most of the time)

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dinko-infeqtor-lipova-a/hd500-neaera-style[/SC]

I don't have any speakers/monitors atm so I cannot decide whether it's good or just terrible, and use my AKG k518LE phones for just about everything.

I'm aiming for Neaera's 2009/2010 albums sound, any help?

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
You guys are probably tired of me posting stuff haha, but too bad! I'm really digging this 8 string! So heavy! \m/

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/aaron-graves/more-8-heaviness[/SC]

trying to achieve similar tone with my HD500 and 6 string guitar : ) (using HD's pitch glide FX)

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dinko-infeqtor-lipova-a/djenty-shifted-hd500[/SC]

Quick 8 secs sample

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Halp! Attempted to run the HD500 in 4CM with my 5150II. Managed to sort out using the mixer to drop the volume to match the preamp, but whenever I change patches there is an obnoxious loud pop. I'm sure there's a setting somewhere that solves this, but damned if I can find any useful information on it. Any of you running 4CM with a Peavey 5150 and having it work properly want to shell out some advice?

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I only dare to guess, but to my absolute horror a while ago I found out that there is always a bit of lag when you switch patches. So it basically mutes for a fraction of a second. My guess is your amp doesn't play nice with this lag and make that pop as soon as the new patch is loaded.

Best way to circumvent this, is trying to build dual amp patches and asign fs1-fs4 to different setups within the same patch.

')