Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just got it and loaded some patches on it but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm curious though...

...do I just unplug it or...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Just got it and loaded some patches on it but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm curious though...

...do I just unplug it or...?

Yeah, unplug it and send it my way. Even though I have a Kemper, I still find myself missing some of the effects I had in my pod.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Yeah, unplug it and send it my way. Even though I have a Kemper, I still find myself missing some of the effects I had in my pod.

You're funny. I asked though because while the X3 has an on/off switch, the HD500 doesn't. Kinda strange. :scratch:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Messed around with the HD500 some today, and while it sounds good, it takes quite a bit longer to set up a patch than with the X3 Live. Also, the volume seems quite a bit lower than on the X3 Live and I prefer the volume/expression pedal on the X3 Live as well. Nitpicking aside, I both products for different things.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Also, the volume seems quite a bit lower than on the X3 Live

Do you hook it up to a guitar amp or amp with monitor speakers?

Check the 1/4 out switch. Preferably set it to line. On amp mode it will be considerably less loud.

There's also the guitar in switch which can be set to normal or pad. Padding will boost it a bit, but in my general experience it does no good to the tone.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Is it possible to pass a mixer through the HD, for multiple mics recording? And how? Or would i just make a mess?
^^^ Anyone?

PS Seems like i can't get pinch harmonics out of my dirty patches,even at quite high gain (50%+ on the high gain models).
What am i doing wrong? Frequency response problems (cab)? Or noise gate issues?
Have you experienced that? Either they don't come out at all, or they come out a little bit but very strange sounding, quirky and muffled.

daedae

Reaction score
^^^ Anyone?

PS Seems like i can't get pinch harmonics out of my dirty patches,even at quite high gain (50%+ on the high gain models).
What am i doing wrong? Frequency response problems (cab)? Or noise gate issues?
Have you experienced that? Either they don't come out at all, or they come out a little bit but very strange sounding, quirky and muffled.

For the mixer question, it should work okay since you're basically just using it as an interface. Run one mixer channel out to guitar in and one to the aux in. Set your input 1 source to guitar and input 2 source to aux. Make sure the mixer on the hd500 is set to hard left and hard right, and then arm your DAW's tracks appropriately.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Do you hook it up to a guitar amp or amp with monitor speakers?

Check the 1/4 out switch. Preferably set it to line. On amp mode it will be considerably less loud.

There's also the guitar in switch which can be set to normal or pad. Padding will boost it a bit, but in my general experience it does no good to the tone.

I think pad is for active pickups so it doesn't clip. And I have it going from the USB to my computer and from there to my Logitech speakers.

DredFul

Maple fretboard enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a POD and thought I'd ask you for some recommendations.

I'm looking at used HD400 and HD500. Both reasonably priced in my opinion, the HD500 being about 200$(converted) more.

I would use it for playing at home and maybe some occasional recordings like
riff ideas and so on.

So: do you think the extra 200$ would be worth it? I'm not looking to spend too much money but you know, buy nice or buy twice.

Any tips and advice are welcome.

Thank you.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm interested in getting a POD and thought I'd ask you for some recommendations.

I'm looking at used HD400 and HD500. Both reasonably priced in my opinion, the HD500 being about 200$(converted) more.

riff ideas and so on.

So: do you think the extra 200$ would be worth it? I'm not looking to spend too much money but you know, buy nice or buy twice.

Thank you.

I don't think the HD400 does dual amps and I am not entirely sure if it has similar models as the 500 or not. Also, if you like to do lots of effects like modulation, delay, reverb, etc. you may want an HD500x. Either should be pretty decent for playing at home though if you don't require dual amps or lots of mod/delay/reverb effects if any at all.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

riff ideas and so on.

Thank you.

I tried to convince myself thinking that I wouldn't need the additional options, I paid twice :lol:

the amps and sounds in the 400 and 500 are the same, but the limitations regarding FX in the 400 and 300 are retarded, for example, you can only run

one Dist/OD/EQ/Fuzz/Compressor/Octaver/Pitch-Shifter pedal
one Chorus/Phaser/Flanger/Tremolo
one type of delay

reverb, noise-gate and Wah are useable in all patches independantly

also, dual amps (although I don't use em' that much)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'm curious what people here think in regards to hooking up my HD500. I have Logitech speakers w/ sub at the moment and currently, I hook up either POD via USB, then plugging the Logitech speakers into the computer, like how I would if I was listening to music. I also change the buffer, set playback to the speaker/headphone jack and recording to my POD as well as check "Listen to this device" so I can hear it.

However, Line 6 says you should set the POD up to be your "soundcard" in playback and then use an out on the back of the POD and the only one I have an option of using at the moment is the headphone jack with a 1/4" adapter which I have.

What do you guys think? Just making sure I'm getting the most out of it for the time being. I mean, other than getting an M9 for post-amp effects.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just messed around with the Park 75, JTM 45, Plexi 100 and JCM800 models and with tweaking they all sounded really good. I was pretty surprised how well the JTM45 and Park 75 models could work for metal. The JCM800 model took more tweaking than the 75/45/100 for a usable sound [for me anyways] but it was worth the effort. I mostly stick with the 412 models, but I need to mess with the 212 models as well.

In case someone has the HD500/desktop/pro and is frustrated with the unit, yet hasn't discovered the usefulness of these controls: Sag, low cut, and thump are your friends. I usually start with sag at about 25-33%, low cut anywhere from 100-150 Hz and thump depends on the model, but usually ends up between 12-27%. Master and bias are also really useful depending on the model of amp you're using, but I need to read through the manual to find out what bias excursion is doing cuz I just kinda leave it alone.

And I'm sure most of you guys already know this, but I'm sure there is someone out there in internetland that is trying to figure out the POD HD500.

Schaug

Reaction score
Hey guys, I would like if you could answer to one question before I sell this thing (HD500) and get my 11r back.

Is it possible to get usable live high gain/mid gain tone at all? I managed to make a few nice ones for recording and I'm satisfied but live, it's still thin. Cleans sound great live btw.

Could you share a preset or two which are set up for LIVE use only. Last night I was eaten up by the bass and cymbals because I tweaked presets on headphones. :nono: I played on Ibanez k7 which is mahogany with PAFs and it was still thin city. :( I'm even considering succumbing to JCM800 models just to get my meat back. I'm a sad panda right now.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I would like if you could answer to one question before I sell this thing (HD500) and get my 11r back.

Is it possible to get usable live high gain/mid gain tone at all? I managed to make a few nice ones for recording and I'm satisfied but live, it's still thin. Cleans sound great live btw.

Could you share a preset or two which are set up for LIVE use only. Last night I was eaten up by the bass and cymbals because I tweaked presets on headphones. :nono: I played on Ibanez k7 which is mahogany with PAFs and it was still thin city. :( I'm even considering succumbing to JCM800 models just to get my meat back. I'm a sad panda right now.

Are you using an amp as output? If that's the case, first mistake you made is tweak something meant for an amp with your headphones. You should tweak it with that particular amp you used live. Not only that, but when you think you have a decent tone to use with that amp, test it at the volumes you will use on stage and then you'll know how it's going to sound.

One thing that can help you to get where you want is to disable cab/mic in the POD amp. When you start it sounds fizzy and maybe digital, but when you start equalizing you can get to a tone that sounds almost real in the amp your using. I also send my POD to the pwr amp section of my amp, so I equalize from POD's amp and EQ.

gunslingerjh

Headless Mofo
Reaction score
Preview of a cover i'm working on, recorded with POD HD500.
Tried to get the guitars sound as close to the original as possible.
Bass is programmed using a freeware vst.
Drum is superior 2.0

Any ideas on emulating a better bass sound/better vst's?

Monuments - I, The Destroyer

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/julienhauspie/monuments-i-the-destroyer-cover-preview[/SC]

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Is it possible to get usable live high gain/mid gain tone at all?

Definitely. I get a good mid gain tone using a tube power amp and guitar cab. Turn the power amp modeling off (even though it might sound better at low volume, the PA modeling makes the tone thin and wooly at band levels with my setup). Cabs off of course. My basic patches are very simple - just the recto preamp model with gain and tone to taste, and a gate. No extra EQ needed. Keep the gain under control, once you crank up you'll get it back with the low end girth intact.

That's what works for me. If you are going FRFR though, this is all worthless to you.

Schaug

Reaction score
Definitely. I get a good mid gain tone using a tube power amp and guitar cab. Turn the power amp modeling off (even though it might sound better at low volume, the PA modeling makes the tone thin and wooly at band levels with my setup). Cabs off of course. My basic patches are very simple - just the recto preamp model with gain and tone to taste, and a gate. No extra EQ needed. Keep the gain under control, once you crank up you'll get it back with the low end girth intact.

That's what works for me. If you are going FRFR though, this is all worthless to you.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm going straight to the PA but I have a huge monitor in front of me and I've had great results with 11r previously. I've only used Uber and F ball preset yesterday (meambobbo's LOG and Dream theater patches) which seem to be great for recording. Ive tweaked them a bit but they were lost in the cymbals and bass. I really need a live preset to begin with.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Should I consider rolling back firmware on my HD500? I've read somewhere that the older firmware had warmer tones?

If you think it might help, go for it. You can always get it back to the newest FW update if you decide it had little to no effect.

')