This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Decon87

Reaction score
I just discovered these things yesterday and I'm pretty interested. I have my tube amp which is nice and all but I don't have all of the equipment to get a decent recording sound out of it, and if I want to change my sound at all I need to buy pedals that can range from $100-$200.

Right now I'm looking at the POD HD500X and the POD HD Pro X. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two units besides the obvious one is rack mounted and one is a pedal? Do you recommend one over the other? I'm mainly going to be purchasing for recording, practicing at night (headphones are a nice feature), and just generally finding tones I like without having to go to the store every time.

Reaction score
No, I used the POD for recorded Guitars. All the other instruments are VSTi. I think the best result is achieved with a real Bass.

That's what I meant, you used the POD only as an interface to record guitars. You didn't use any of the amps or cabs available on the pod, right?

Translated:

Eso es lo que quise decir, utilizaste el pod solo como interfaz para grabar las guitarras. No usaste ninguno de los amplificadores o cajas disponibles en el POD, cierto?

Reaction score
I just discovered these things yesterday and I'm pretty interested. I have my tube amp which is nice and all but I don't have all of the equipment to get a decent recording sound out of it, and if I want to change my sound at all I need to buy pedals that can range from $100-$200.

Right now I'm looking at the POD HD500X and the POD HD Pro X. Can anyone tell me the difference between these two units besides the obvious one is rack mounted and one is a pedal? Do you recommend one over the other? I'm mainly going to be purchasing for recording, practicing at night (headphones are a nice feature), and just generally finding tones I like without having to go to the store every time.

I strongly suggest the HD500X. The only difference between the two besides one being rack-mounted is that the HD Pro X has S/PDIF input and doesn't have an expression pedal or footswitches, although you can get those by spending even more money in a floorboard.

I prefer the HD500X because it does exactly the same as the HD Pro X, brings expression pedal and footswitches, and has S/PDIF output which you will most likely use if you're connecting the POD to an interface. S/PDIF input only sounds useful if you're reamping guitars and you really like the POD models, but at the cost of an expression pedal.

eastguitar

Reaction score
That's what I meant, you used the POD only as an interface to record guitars. You didn't use any of the amps or cabs available on the pod, right?

Translated:

Eso es lo que quise decir, utilizaste el pod solo como interfaz para grabar las guitarras. No usaste ninguno de los amplificadores o cajas disponibles en el POD, cierto?

Para el bajo no, para las guitarras utilicé el pod con todas sus emulaciones

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Some people say that they can't get a decent "POD only" tone, but using some external cab sims. I think they don't spend enough time digging their tone, couse I've heard a whole bunch of amazing results coming out of the POD itself.

This thread confirms that as well.

eastguitar

Reaction score
Some people say that they can't get a decent "POD only" tone, but using some external cab sims. I think they don't spend enough time digging their tone, couse I've heard a whole bunch of amazing results coming out of the POD itself.

This thread confirms that as well.

I think it's possible to get a good tone using only the POD. It was a little difficult, but slowly I'm understanding how it works.

I do not know if you've heard this cover and I do not know if you used only the POD, but the mix and tone of the guitar, in my opinion, are very good. And he uses the POD HD300.

Chris Vogagis
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/chrisvogagis/periphery-make-total-destroy[/SC]

Decon87

Reaction score
I strongly suggest the HD500X. The only difference between the two besides one being rack-mounted is that the HD Pro X has S/PDIF input and doesn't have an expression pedal or footswitches, although you can get those by spending even more money in a floorboard.

I prefer the HD500X because it does exactly the same as the HD Pro X, brings expression pedal and footswitches, and has S/PDIF output which you will most likely use if you're connecting the POD to an interface. S/PDIF input only sounds useful if you're reamping guitars and you really like the POD models, but at the cost of an expression pedal.

How do they justify the $200 increase in price between the two models? If anything it sounds like the HD500X has more features.

Reaction score
How do they justify the $200 increase in price between the two models? If anything it sounds like the HD500X has more features.

Believe me, I've done the comparison and has nothing more than an S/PDIF input, and, (I had forgotten) an on/off switch :D

For $200 more you'll look cooler because you have a rackmounted processor, without footswitches nor expression pedal, but a rack is all that a djentleman needs nowadays :evil:

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
I think it's possible to get a good tone using only the POD. It was a little difficult, but slowly I'm understanding how it works.

I do not know if you've heard this cover and I do not know if you used only the POD, but the mix and tone of the guitar, in my opinion, are very good. And he uses the POD HD300.

Chris Vogagis
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/chrisvogagis/periphery-make-total-destroy[/SC]

This is a pure awesomeness if u r asking me, sounds killer. I'd like to hear his raw unedited guitar segments, extracted apart from the rest.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked up a HD500x and an Alto TS110a. Any good resources? I'm already mildly frustrated by the POD's interface but I like some of the tones I've been able to download so far :metal:

Rizzo

Reaction score
Just picked up a HD500x and an Alto TS110a. Any good resources? I'm already mildly frustrated by the POD's interface but I like some of the tones I've been able to download so far :metal:
Search the web for meambobbo's Pod HD guide. And have a lot of patience :D

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score

yeah, the POD interface (by that I mean using the actual POD switches to make patches) is pretty ''meeeh'' at best, but the software for doing so IMO is great

anyways; some tips for high-gain tones:

-. always put an EQ at the end of the chain (after the amp) with a parametric EQ, put the ''freq'' knob around 79%, the Q at maximum, and lower the ''gain'' knob in the EQ at around 20-30%, it will kill the fizz that every high-gain amp in the POD has

-. be careful with the treble knob, since I've felt it adds a lot of nasty high-end, work with it alongside the presence knob

-. READ!!!11!1!1111, MeAmBobbo guide, don't take it as the ultimate rule for everything, but it will give you a nice understanding of the POD
http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

-. give dual cabs a try (select the same amp with the same settings) but change the cab or mic options. It's a lot less hassle compared to setting up a dual amp patch

-.If you would like giving ''dual amps'' a try, try mixing ''vintagy'' amps with high-gain ones. I play with an amp alongside the POD, so I can't send patches directly to you since I don't know which cab emulation will work with my patches, but you can tweak around what I have (if you do so, please post a sample or something :D ) , I get amazing results mixing the Brit P-75 with the ENGL Fireball for example

here is a screencap of it, and it also shows how I set up the parametric EQ

10rr6nt.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

switching subjetcs a bit; I made this yesterday with the POD and Catharsis Impulses

https://db.tt/louanv03

if anybody wants to give an opinion I would love to hear it :D, here I made a thread for it if anybody wants to speak more about the mix/clip itself instead of just the POD HD patch

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/re...yers-ffo-gojira-uneven-structure-i-guess.html

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
@alice AKW - would you be kind to record a quick sample with your 7 string using my new tweaked patch. I'd like to hear what it sounds like with different setups.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
@alice AKW - would you be kind to record a quick sample with your 7 string using my new tweaked patch. I'd like to hear what it sounds like with different setups.

Sure thing, though I'm actually trying to sell my POD right now :lol: If anyone here nabs it I'll leave my patches on it.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Believe me, I've done the comparison and has nothing more than an S/PDIF input, and, (I had forgotten) an on/off switch :D

For $200 more you'll look cooler because you have a rackmounted processor, without footswitches nor expression pedal, but a rack is all that a djentleman needs nowadays :evil:

Yeah i'm guessing part of the price mark up is "because they could" with the perception of rack gear being higher end , professional etc, even if it's the same darn thing overall. They knew people that wanted the rack version would buy it, given the prices of other rack gear. I've got the HD Pro version, specifically because i wanted the rack form factor for my already in place rack setup. Is it worth the extra $200? For me yes, as if I had the floorboard i'd be running power and signal cable to the front of the stage, taking longer to set up, and worrying about beer getting spilled on it. Is it a bit of a scam by line 6? Perhaps, but I have what i want, so no complaints here.

Latest posts

')