that short guy

Reaction score
You might wanna check when you have it plugged in... is it the default device and has a green check mark next to it for playback? That'd be my best guess. Without talking to you facebook or something and making you screenshot some shit can I actually definitively say what the issue may be.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, work has been crazy lately. but yeah it's set as the default for all audio playback and default for recording. I think my computer is just finally dying after 2 deployments and just a lot travel abuse it was only a matter of time lol. the only thing that did to my computer right before it started acting retarded was I installed Superior drummer so I'm gonna uninstall it to see if that fixes anything, if not looks like I'll be buying a new computer shortly.... unfortunately.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

triface

Reaction score
I just went out and bought the HD500X this afternoon and I'm having a little trouble with the setup.

I run it direct into my computer with USB, and I'd like to monitor with the speakers/headphones I have connected to my computer, not to the Pod. The manual says that audio is being sent back to the Pod, which leads me to believe the headphones must be connected to the Pod.

Is there any way around this?

I've been fussing with it for a few hours and haven't gotten anywhere with real-time monitoring because I didn't want to bring out my amp and I don't have a 1/4" headphone lying around... lol

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I just went out and bought the HD500X this afternoon and I'm having a little trouble with the setup.

I run it direct into my computer with USB, and I'd like to monitor with the speakers/headphones I have connected to my computer, not to the Pod. The manual says that audio is being sent back to the Pod, which leads me to believe the headphones must be connected to the Pod.

Is there any way around this?

I've been fussing with it for a few hours and haven't gotten anywhere with real-time monitoring because I didn't want to bring out my amp and I don't have a 1/4" headphone lying around... lol

You need to set the default device for playback to whatever the computer's soundcard is, then go into the recording tab, select the Line 6 Pod, set as default, then go into properties and look for a box to check where it will say "listen to this device" next to it. Lemme know how that works.

Here, I'll rewrite that as steps.
1. Open control panel.
2. If it shows everything like photo A, open up "Sound". If it shows it like in photo B, open up Hardware and sound, then Manage Audio Devices.
3. Sound settings will open [photo C]. My Pod isn't hooked up atm, but if it is, it will automatically set itself as the soundcard. You'll want to select the other option [your internal soundcard] and set as default with the Pod no longer selected as default. You'll know it worked when the checkmark is gone next to the Pod option.
4. Go to recording. Should see Line 6 Pod again; select it and click properties [photo D]. First, under "General", make sure the drop down for "device usage" is set to "Use this device [enable]". Next, click the "Listen" tab [photo E]. Under that tab, click the box next to "Listen to this device" and make sure the drop down menu under it is set to "Default playback device". Slowly turn up your guitar volume while plinking the strings with your fretting hand, and you should now be able to hear your guitar through the headphones. I'll repeat... "SLOWLY turn up your guitar volume..." Wouldn't want you to go deaf from cranking it and hitting a huge open drop D power chord.

Attachments

• photo a.png
    photo a.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 12
  • photo b.png
    photo b.png
    396.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo c.png
    photo c.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 7
  • photo D.png
    photo D.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
  • photo E.png
    photo E.png
    101.7 KB · Views: 8

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get the cabless Pod HD model to process through the IR loaded in Reaper? Tried yesterday and today and am kinda stumped.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get the cabless Pod HD model to process through the IR loaded in Reaper? Tried yesterday and today and am kinda stumped.

You should just have to use an IR loader with a cab impulse loaded into it as an FX insert on the track that the POD is recording into.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
What exactly is the problem? Is there no IR processing when you playback a recording?

Well, I wanted it while playing. My issue, now that I think about it, was probably that I hadn't turned down my Line 6 Pod HD500 volume in the "mixer" in the system tray [ie, not the one in Reaper]. Therefore, the two signals were probably mixing so it sounded pretty much like a cabless tone.

You should just have to use an IR loader with a cab impulse loaded into it as an FX insert on the track that the POD is recording into.

Technically, the program isn't even recording; I just use it to jam on with monitor input turned on. That said, that's what I was doing, but the other reply in this post is most likely where I failed to make it work. I'll have to try again when it's not way too late to be figuring shit like that out.

jimwratt

Reaction score
After about 2-3 months of deliberation (mostly trying to decide between the floorboard and rack version), I have decided that I'll buy the HD500X. Just a couple of questions before I do that. I'm buying it 3 days from now (there's a sale going on now) and I just remembered there's a whole board of geniuses that have more experience with the Pod than I do, so going through the whole thread is quite a stretch. :p

1) I recently came upon threads commenting about the fizz of the series. What is the situation now? Has it been fixed? Or was the problem too minimal to even notice in most cases anyway in the first place?

2) How will firmware updates work? Would the X versions also have the updates that are given to the non-X versions?

3) The Pod, my guitars and a $60 Sound Drive practice amp will be all I have in my rig. I intend to bypass the amp totally and go through speakers, headphones and do recording direct into my computer. Maybe have the Pod go through the amp just to see what it would sound like and (likely) recoil in disgust. I understand the floorboard version has lesser IOs as compared to the Pro version, but I'll still be able to do direct recording via USB, as well as recording both a wet and dry input via dual signal chains, right?

4) Having mentioned recording, how does the Pro's dry out factor into reamping without a separate interface? I've been researching and it seems there's really no way to do that, but it would blow to get the floorboard then find out the dry out makes it possible to reamp with just the unit alone.

5) How close are the X versions to being replaced by a successor? I know the X series were released last year, but I'm not familiar with how Line 6 does things. I'm not concerned with getting the best things as they are released. I'm just concerned about the firmware updates.

6) How is the durability like? Being a stompbox with so many buttons seems like there's a lot of opportunities for rusting and wear and tear to happen. I had a Barber Dirty Bomb pedal and I could just feel the button starting to wear out.

7) I have an 8-string, and I know that the Pod can function as a bass processor as well. It probably wouldn't sound like a good bass tone, but is there any way I can get a usable bass tone with some extreme EQing?

5. Fwiw, Line 6 seems to be on a 2 year release schedule and the HD500x came out in September 2013

triface

Reaction score
You need to set the default device for playback to whatever the computer's soundcard is, then go into the recording tab, select the Line 6 Pod, set as default, then go into properties and look for a box to check where it will say "listen to this device" next to it. Lemme know how that works.

Here, I'll rewrite that as steps.
1. Open control panel.
2. If it shows everything like photo A, open up "Sound". If it shows it like in photo B, open up Hardware and sound, then Manage Audio Devices.
3. Sound settings will open [photo C]. My Pod isn't hooked up atm, but if it is, it will automatically set itself as the soundcard. You'll want to select the other option [your internal soundcard] and set as default with the Pod no longer selected as default. You'll know it worked when the checkmark is gone next to the Pod option.
4. Go to recording. Should see Line 6 Pod again; select it and click properties [photo D]. First, under "General", make sure the drop down for "device usage" is set to "Use this device [enable]". Next, click the "Listen" tab [photo E]. Under that tab, click the box next to "Listen to this device" and make sure the drop down menu under it is set to "Default playback device". Slowly turn up your guitar volume while plinking the strings with your fretting hand, and you should now be able to hear your guitar through the headphones. I'll repeat... "SLOWLY turn up your guitar volume..." Wouldn't want you to go deaf from cranking it and hitting a huge open drop D power chord.
Hey thanks a lot! Really appreciate you went out of your way to even include screenshots!

The solution worked like a charm. There's some latency I'm trying to eliminate through playing around with the settings.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Search "Line 6 Midi Audio Devices" if you are using Windows 8. Then at the bottom should be a slider and you can make the buffer size larger or smaller.

Btw, I'm using my Pod X3 Live right now with cab impulses. Sounds a lot more natural than stock. I'm using X3 -> Computer -> Reaper -> Ignite TPA-1 -> Ignite NadIR [FearComplex Orange 2 mics Marshall Mode Four]

The Ignite TPA-1 and NadIR are pretty cool, though in place of NadIR, LePou LeCab2 is also pretty useful. Anyways, with NadIR, I have it rolling off the lows and highs at around 80hz and 8.5khz respectively, with a 20ms delay on the Orange 2 Mics IR. As for the power amp [TPA-1], I have quite a few options, like the typical pres/depth/vol w/ a stereo switch on the front of all [or most rather] power amps, and the back is where all the deep editing fun shit is. Bias, sag, feedback [which is Line 6'd at 100%, but I prefer to lower it to 60% or even less], resonance, and output. Plus tubes [6l6, el34 or kt88], input level, and oversampling settings. All in all, pretty cool, Ignite is really worth checking out [like I said, they have 2-3 FULL amps, not just single channel vst sims, a TS style pedal or two, the power amp, and a preamp that sounds really good too.] LePou gets a lot of attention and rightfully so, but I like Ignite just as much.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    604.7 KB · Views: 50

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Here's a shittily played demo...thing using the Pod X3 Live and IRs/VSTs, just to see how much it'd improve [which is quite a ....ing bit!]

Gear: LTD H-500 [w/ EMG HZ H3 + EMG ABQ from ALX set] -> Line 6 Pod X3 Live -> Laptop -> Reaper -> your earginas
Tuning: Drop C
Strings: Ernie Ball 11-52
Pod X3 Live: Dual amps with gate, stomp, EQ and comp activated on both. Connor 50 and Deity Lead with cabs disabled on Pod. Stomp is Screamer to boost mids/cut highs. Slight medium hall reverb on the Connor 50 model.
Reaper: Stereo track. The VST plugin FX chain: Nick Crow Labs Tube Driver -> Ignite Amps TPA-1 Power Amp -> Ignite Amps NadIR [w/ Fear Complex Marshall Mode Four - Connor 50 and Orange 2 mics - Deity Lead] -> ReaComp by Cockos -> Ignite Amps PTEq.

If people like the tone, maybe I'll give you guys a zip file of the FX chain preset file, needed VSTs/IRs and Pod X3 preset file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa6b2x3agmejhxn/consolidated2.wav?dl=0

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just want to say: Wow, using a narrow Q with a -5 or more setting and sweeping through frequencies on the ReaEQ in Reaper is not only weird, but when it gets closer and eventually dials out the noise in the Pod HD, you finally see what MeAmBobbo means in his guide in regards to getting better tones using EQs. A little cut [-1.0] in the 600hz range, a little boost [+0.5] somewhere between 1.1-1.5khz and rolling off the lows and highs at around 80-100hz and 8.5-9.5khz definitely helps as well. When I used this EQ, I just put it at the end of the FX chain in Reaper [which means it affected everything], but I need to remember to try it at the beginning of the FX chain as well to just affect the Pod HD.

triface

Reaction score
Search "Line 6 Midi Audio Devices" if you are using Windows 8. Then at the bottom should be a slider and you can make the buffer size larger or smaller.
I stumbled upon that when I first connected my Pod to my computer and did that. The latency's still noticeable, but not a dealbreaker I guess. I've now started using my headphones through an adapter into the Pod directly.

Edit: Any experience with some patches just stop working? It used to happen sometimes when I change banks, but after a firmware update to 1.32 it seems it's now restricted to 2 of my patches which I'll import again soon enough.

herbmystic

Reaction score
I picked a POD HD Pro up today for pretty cheap. I'm going to use it for playing while I'm living away from home for uni.

I haven't had a chance to play through it yet (I won't have a guitar with me until tomorrow) so I've spent the night watching youtube clips, reading guides, and loading patches.

I'm not expecting amazing things (without a lot of tweaking), but it's certainly an upgrade from a Boss MT2 through a 10 watt no-name solid state amp I used previously I used during my first year of uni...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I picked a POD HD Pro up today for pretty cheap. I'm going to use it for playing while I'm living away from home for uni.

I haven't had a chance to play through it yet (I won't have a guitar with me until tomorrow) so I've spent the night watching youtube clips, reading guides, and loading patches.

I'm not expecting amazing things (without a lot of tweaking), but it's certainly an upgrade from a Boss MT2 through a 10 watt no-name solid state amp I used previously I used during my first year of uni...

It's definitely a step up over a metal zone or even a Pod X3 Live. Have fun with it... but not too much, or you'll fail your classes. :lol:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

I made a video to share some of my experiences and tips with the Pod HD series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IncBD7vzhDM&list=UU3lbb3dFK9cRdDDsOoI94Pg

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
I made a video to share some of my experiences and tips with the Pod HD series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IncBD7vzhDM&list=UU3lbb3dFK9cRdDDsOoI94Pg

Good GOD your voice is nice to listen to xD

Solid video, I really need to get around to redoing mine.

Speaking of... I"ve been tinkering with this thing some more. Have a nice spacey patch.
[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alice_akw/pod-hd500-devin-townsend-tone-1[/sc]

Need to find a better screen capture software...

Reaction score
Good GOD your voice is nice to listen to xD

Solid video, I really need to get around to redoing mine.

Speaking of... I"ve been tinkering with this thing some more. Have a nice spacey patch.
[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alice_akw/pod-hd500-devin-townsend-tone-1[/sc]

Need to find a better screen capture software...

Print Screen key then Ctrl+v with Paint running.

')