Reaction score
Igloo, what the fvck!? :lol:
A. The USB and L6 LINK ports have more flexible routing than the 1/4", XLR, and S/PDIF outs, and would require more than two channels of Global EQ to cover all the bases. Code optimization only afforded us two channels of Global EQ.

B. There are about seven zillion EQ plugins, ten of which probably came bundled in your DAW. Many have more than five bands, emulate vintage EQ hardware, show pretty frequency curves, are easier to use, exhibit linear phase (if you're willing to deal with latency), and most importantly, let you adjust or remove them after tracking.

C. If you're tracking into your computer, you never want unnecessary processing, especially when you intended to turn it off but forgot.

D. Global EQ was designed specifically to compensate for the myriad acoustic environments when performing live.

E. I'm evil. :evil:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
A. The USB and L6 LINK ports have more flexible routing than the 1/4", XLR, and S/PDIF outs, and would require more than two channels of Global EQ to cover all the bases. Code optimization only afforded us two channels of Global EQ.

B. There are about seven zillion EQ plugins, ten of which probably came bundled in your DAW. Many have more than five bands, emulate vintage EQ hardware, show pretty frequency curves, are easier to use, exhibit linear phase (if you're willing to deal with latency), and most importantly, let you adjust or remove them after tracking.

C. If you're tracking into your computer, you never want unnecessary processing, especially when you intended to turn it off but forgot.

D. Global EQ was designed specifically to compensate for the myriad acoustic environments when performing live.

Well apparently we don't have to ask you if you're evil cuz you already answered that for us.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Wanting to know how the high gain rhythm tone I made sounded when compared to others, I checked out Customtone for the first time and downloaded a few rhythm patches that had lots of downloads, had good ratings, and (almost) full descriptions.

Now I feel GREAT about the tone I made :lol:

Unless someone can direct me to some of their favorites *nudgenudgehinthint*

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score

.... it, I'll just buy an interface one of these days. :lol:

My idea was to have the Global EQ replace the three EQ's in my patches so I have ALL THE BLOCKS free for effects ....ery.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
My idea was to have the Global EQ replace the three EQ's in my patches so I have ALL THE BLOCKS free for effects ....ery.
Yeah this. I'm only up to two EQs usually, but I was hoping to have the global tackle some reduction of fizz or woof across the board and just fine tune each patch. I'm not wanting for effect slots, but just hoped to simplify the patch making process a bit.

I'm a little let down, because I picked up my 500x after NAMM assuming that the global EQ would help. I only ever jam or record, and had already gone through two other HD units due to frustration with dialing things in. I'm finding I've learned a lot since my last unit, so patch making is easier and this isn't a dealbreaker, but still.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
I was really excited about the Global EQ and it's pretty much useless now cuz I just record stuff at home. Very disappointed.... :/

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
Just got the HD500 2.6 Metal Pack. Early days yet but I take back what I said about the Line 6 amp models.

The Big Bottom amp is seriously good, more geared towards low tuned guitars I think but what a sound!

I'm finding the 5150 a bit of a pain to tweak however, in fact I'm a bit disappointed. The low end was way overkill, boomy and muddy when I first tried it. But in all fairness the harmonic range is 5150 all over but I think this is an amp model you have to sit down with. I have a feeling there are possiblities to get some of Dimebag's Randell-esque tones out of this too.

I'm still noticing loads of improvements with this update. The Hard Gate is much tighter than it was before and is allowing much better response with the open threshold and decay.

The Treadplate model, to me has lost a lot of that muddy low end bass on the V30 and sounds huge on the XXL V30. Those two cabs really separate the 90's rock/punk to the modern metal tones now.

The room/air effect is more noticeable on certain cabinets even on the preset 12% setting.

The amp volume (not master) seems more balanced and less lethal lol.

Sound much better recording the channels on stereo left and right than panning centre.

The PAD setting finally feels useful for high gain pickups.

Generally, I'm finding the amp model tones much easier to compare and explore. It feels as fun as the POD 2.0 again. Sweet!

Reaction score

Yes your are, indeed.

Now seriously, I think it's ok Global EQ doesn't work through USB and S/PDIF outputs. For those wanting to track your guitars, I would recommend getting un-EQ'ed tracks from your guitar, since EQ, compression or any other processing is recommended in the mix stage. Imagine you cut off highs and then you realize you need them during the mix stage...you'll have only two choices: 1.- record again without EQ or 2.- Artificially create those lost frequencies by increasing highs with some EQ, losing the quality of your guitars.

I was also pissed off when I saw the updates came first for the X line, but I think it was for the best since we got a less buggy update. Besides, for those playing live, it's common to take an amp head and plug it to a different cab than yours, or use an entire different amp. For those kind of situations the Global EQ will become a must.

Going back to the EQ thing when tracking, believe me, try to get the most clean signal from the POD, since you'll be able to fine tune EQ and Compression in the mix stage.

Edit: Digital Igloo; deep down you're not evil :)

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Wanting to know how the high gain rhythm tone I made sounded when compared to others, I checked out Customtone for the first time and downloaded a few rhythm patches that had lots of downloads, had good ratings, and (almost) full descriptions.

I started out by downloading a bunch of other peoples patches and just found them to be OK at best... Then I attempted to make my own and had MUCH better results.

Even with low gain tones... I downloaded a few apparent SRV tone clones and NONE of them sounded good. I made my own with a bassman model and a screamer/blue comp in about 8 minutes that sounded way better than anyone elses attempt.

Once you got a good feel for the amps and the effects/eq's, you can get to the tone in your head much easier.

robski92

Reaction score
I just got the metal pack for my Pod bean. I have mine set up as teh pre-amp and then a peavey classic tube power amp going into a Mesa traditional 4X12. The BB sounds massive through it. Though it seems like that amp is louder than the others? (I haven't tried the other Line 6 models, so maybe those are louder than the HD models?)

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score

I know what you mean. I usually find Customtone patches, or the Cloud stuff for Bias and Jamup, to be just awful. There was a demo a couple pages back that had a great patch with it though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4f-90RedM

Tempted to put up my SLO patch to see what people think too.

MozzoSemola94

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two questions, the first is, when i put an equalizer, even if all the parameters are flat it modify the sound, why? the second one is, why when i connect my pod hd500x to my computer it keep making noises? Thanks in advance

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two questions, the first is, when i put an equalizer, even if all the parameters are flat it modify the sound, why? the second one is, why when i connect my pod hd500x to my computer it keep making noises? Thanks in advance

Usb causes interference so it will be noisier when plugged into a computer. This can't be avoided.

Flat is not "bypassed" so the eq still colors the sound a bit just like a pedal would.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Just got the Metal Pack. The 5150 model is OK at best. I find it very similar with the XT in terms of response. It just has more bass this time. Taking the gain down to 40% makes it sound better.

As a pre amp model the SLO100 is nearer in sound to my 6505+ than the 5150 model.

')