lewis

Reaction score
I just bought the Metal pack, did all the updates etc and started messing around with all the new goodies.

First of all Global EQ!!........... wow. I love this feature <3

Secondly Panama!! (5150)............ :bowdown: this is THE tone Ive been searching for. I had a great sound from my HD Pro using the ENGL but this is just better in every way. So aggressive :shred: Ive opted to use Triode to try and get a nice smooth balance to the gain. Just wow.

Line 6 I wasnt going to purchase this update out of principle, but Im so glad I buckled and bought in.

Thank you!

P.S Give us MORE add on Packs!!!!..... haha

EDIT: Dont use the Stock Line 6 Cabs etc. I use IRs and Poweramp IRs on the Torpedo CAB

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I was wondering wether anyone would want to share their views on setting a lead sound for live performance. At the moment my patches are mainly set up as dual amp chains, one chain for main sound and the other for leads. In previous setups I switched between patches for main and lead, but I hated the lag during the switch, a dual signal is considerably better, but now I just want to try to build it into single chain patches. So please share your views on:

• What fx do you use for leads, delays - eq, whatever...post or pre delay, that sort of things.
  • How do you get a warm fat lead sound that does not give the feeling of a gap in sound when you switch back to your main? So how do I handle volume differences?
Thanks a bunch ;)

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
well, for a basic lead sound, honestly, all I do is throw the boost comp in front of my rhythm tone, and a delay afterwards, and I'm set - I give it just enough extra juice for it to feel sorta chewy, and the delay just adds some space, and is tempo-synced at quarter notes, so I can tap in a tempo.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
well, for a basic lead sound, honestly, all I do is throw the boost comp in front of my rhythm tone, and a delay afterwards, and I'm set - I give it just enough extra juice for it to feel sorta chewy, and the delay just adds some space, and is tempo-synced at quarter notes, so I can tap in a tempo.

Im trying that right now and although I think it does add some good drive, I think it's still a bit too subtle. Mind that I have to compete with our rythm guitar player, so I need to cut the mix a bit more.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
fair enough, I've not tried these out in a full band mix - you'll definitely need a volume boost of some sort after your amp block, for live use - no two ways about it.

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
5150 tip.

Right, Im not sure if its the same on Pod Farm as Ive never used it but Ive sussed out that the 5150 doubles with its clean channel which is total mint. Basically thats why the sound doesnt cut out when its at 0.

Set the Gain and internal Master to 0, switch the input to 22 or a low level and bingo. 5150 clean channel mode. Slap on some chorus, sounds fricking ace.

Also, on edit try the topology on 3, A class for clean with triode, A/B for distortion. These seem to worknwell with this amp.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
thanks,lewis! Now I really want a Torpedo.. lol Its hard to drop cash on something that is about just as much money as an HD 500x, but I know it'll be worth it... Probably get years of use out of the POD after getting the C.A.B.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Finally got to use my 500x at band practice last night. Killed in many many ways.

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
thanks,lewis! Now I really want a Torpedo.. lol Its hard to drop cash on something that is about just as much money as an HD 500x, but I know it'll be worth it... Probably get years of use out of the POD after getting the C.A.B.

Not to barge in but try the two notes wall of sound iii vst. I cant afford the torpedo but the cabinets are cheap on the vst. Something like 8 euros a cab.

I use the Ampeg cabinet a lot for bass and the mesa v30.
The microphone placement is great and there are loads of room and microphone options on there.

Just switch of the cabinet on the hd and is good to go. The program is free with two cabinets. You just have to buy five cabinets to activate the license.

lewis

Reaction score
Not to barge in but try the two notes wall of sound iii vst. I cant afford the torpedo but the cabinets are cheap on the vst. Something like 8 euros a cab.

I use the Ampeg cabinet a lot for bass and the mesa v30.
The microphone placement is great and there are loads of room and microphone options on there.

Just switch of the cabinet on the hd and is good to go. The program is free with two cabinets. You just have to buy five cabinets to activate the license.

I tried this and had all sorts of problems. First with registration, then with it opening correctly. Sidenote to this the IRs Im using with the CAB are all the awesome free ones that have been uploaded like the spreshigh etc

I much prefer an always on physical device thats built like a tank and easier to use/control personally. Easily worth the money.

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
I tried this and had all sorts of problems. First with registration, then with it opening correctly. Sidenote to this the IRs Im using with the CAB are all the awesome free ones that have been uploaded like the spreshigh etc

I much prefer an always on physical device thats built like a tank and easier to use/control personally. Easily worth the money.

Yes that is the only drawback to the wos III is the glitches but its a good budget option for me and has been a helpful learning tool as ive only been doing home studio recording for just over a year. Personally I think the torpedo is a sort of answer to the axe fx. A HD and torpedo is still loads cheaper together than a fractal. Like you said the fact its a solid build and hands on appealed to me butnits just too expensive.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Guys can you please stop talking about TORPEDO and any 3rd party stuff? Lets make the best out of the POD itself, my intension is not to be rude in any way, but I believe that majority of us is just sick of mentioning Axe Fx, Torpedo, Real tube amps etc.

I think many of you hate POD's cabs just becouse someone told you how superior their custom IR's were. Now you think they suck, but I don't think so, in fact I'm convinced they don't.

Lets focus on our PODs, combining the best out of its eqs, dual cabs and mics combos, DEP features and so on....

I've heard some samples of people playing their Hello Kitty single coil strats vs Bare Knuckles equiped axes, and guess what, they sounded way better. You got the point.

Reaction score
I've just test driven most amps from the Full HD Bundle. I don't think they suck in any sense, but I understand some people might be disappointed with them.

Being a Metalhead, I was anxious about the Metal Pack mostly, but I also use cleans and use bass as well when I record my songs, so I also needed to expand bass possibilities.

I think the Panama PV (Peavey 5150) is definitely the best of all. Compared to what I consider the best Metal amps in HD, the Treadplate and the F-Ball, it really stands out. I replaced and tweaked one of my best Metal chains and it's really easy to get to the Djentlemen's club. It's a pitty Line 6 didn't include a Panama cab, but the 4x12 Uber cab sounds great when you change the default SM57 microphone to the U87 Condenser, which are pretty much the same cab and mike I use with the Treadplate in one of my best Metal patches. The Bogner and Remastered Marshall JCM800 sound good, but to be honest, I don't understand why they're included in a Metal pack since I don't feel I could get real heavy sounds from them, though they sound great for hard rock and things like that. I didn't like any of the older X3 models (Aggro, Bottom, Octone, etc) because they do sound way inferior than the best ones in HD.

On the Vintage Pack, the Jazz Rivet (Roland JC-120) stands out because it sounds like a transistor amp, and I believe there was only emulation of tube amps before. Sounds very clean, like a transistor amp, and can be useful when looking for a very clean sound. As far from the rest, they sound good, but I just can't understand why Line 6 bothered with the Fender Champ...as far as I know that's a beginner's practice amp, and honestly, I'd never like to record a song where sound from something like that is involved. Good things on this pack is that the Jazz Rivet brings its own 2x12 cab, but again in my opinion Line 6 wasted time creating the...Fender Champ 1x8 cab... (I bet people would change this model for a 5150 Cab, right?)

Since I only had like 30 minutes to test drive all models, I didn't have the chance to plug my bass yet, but as someone said earlier, the SVT amps sound inmensely better than the Flip Top (Which is also modeled after some ancient Ampeg). They bring their own cabs and at first glance, with a guitar, they seem to sound cleaner in that sense. I can't say anything more about this pack since the best way to test it will be when my bass is plugged.

One "model" I couldn't understand is the Acoustic one...I only got way less output and it seems to sound like a "new tone" patch, just direct guitar input. What are we supposed to use this with?

Overall, I think this pack brings some air and expands possibilities to our HD modelers, but I agree with some of you that feel Line 6 could have done a bit more to make these expansion packs really great ones. Maybe they could make a free update for those who bought them and add Cabs for the Panama and Mahadeva models, Vintage pack models that don't bring their own cab, and a G Cougar cab.

Oh, another thing I noticed is that the Expansion models seem louder in their default options than the Stock HD models in their default settings as well. Maybe this has to do with what someone described before and made it hell louder and gainy. But in any sense I found it unusable; I just use the PAD setting on and take the amp to the left (or right) and then center the signal in the mixer.

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
Guys can you please stop talking about TORPEDO and any 3rd party stuff? Lets make the best out of the POD itself, my intension is not to be rude in any way, but I believe that majority of us is just sick of mentioning Axe Fx, Torpedo, Real tube amps etc.

I think many of you hate POD's cabs just becouse someone told you how superior their custom IR's were. Now you think they suck, but I don't think so, in fact I'm convinced they don't.
People use their Pods in conjunction with these things. Where should people be talking about it if not in the Pod thread? :scratch:
You can have whatever opinion you want, but you're trying to backseat moderate here.

I've just test driven most amps from the Full HD Bundle. I don't think they suck in any sense, but I understand some people might be disappointed with them.
I just got the Metal Pack last night and have to say I'm in the disappointed camp. I definitely need more time with it but so far I haven't heard anything that blew me away.

I really want to like the 5150, but I can't dial it in right or maybe it's just not my sound. Just seems like a worse SLO OD.
Not keen on a lot of the X3 stuff. I really do like the Big Bottom though, and I'm glad people posted how to dial it in because I wouldn't have tried such drastic settings. I still need to try blending the amps though.

So far I feel like it might not be worth the cost for me. Glad it's a 30 day window to try it out though.

Reaction score
I just got the Metal Pack last night and have to say I'm in the disappointed camp. I definitely need more time with it but so far I haven't heard anything that blew me away.

I really want to like the 5150, but I can't dial it in right or maybe it's just not my sound. Just seems like a worse SLO OD.
Not keen on a lot of the X3 stuff. I really do like the Big Bottom though, and I'm glad people posted how to dial it in because I wouldn't have tried such drastic settings. I still need to try blending the amps though.

So far I feel like it might not be worth the cost for me. Glad it's a 30 day window to try it out though.

I updated like a week ago...I really haven't had the time to test them, and I was afraid on how they would sound, considering the investment. I think I'll keep it, and I'm confident about the bass amps eventhough I haven't tested them. In any case, I have more choices now than just the Flip Top.

I think some people be dissapointed because the HD itself didn't like them in the first place. I agree it has that "fizzy" sound hard to get rid off, and high gain amps in these packs do follow the same sound, but I found potential with the 5150. I just wished it brought its own cab to have more possibilities.

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score

Even if they were told, they would still be right. I think the point thats missed is that the torpedo does help the Hd range. The Hd was designed to use external IRs so why should people shut up about it?

I used a mesa rec for 8 years, and has dual tubes. There is a definite difference between the two. I didnt need anyone to tell me switching between the two on HD didnt cut it.

I use the two note vst because it does get me the tones and tube sounds I want. I tested it and wouldnt mention it if I thought it was crap. It doesn't cost the earth so whats the problem? Maybe a constructive argument of why the unit isnt worth it would better. Have you tried it?

I play a cheap budget and a high range 7 string and they both sound good. So what.

Yeah the torpedo is expensive and not everyone is Terry Date either to EQ an amazing mix. But when you use the HD or axe fx live you aint going to get studio eq mixes, and thats where the torpedo wins.

Even Axe Fx users have them!

Besides I dont have deep seated hatred for line 6 cabinets, in fact it more the Eqs which you mention are the problem. There aint exactly easy for a newbie to understand and even degree level techs scratch their heads with them.

')