saminator

Do you even praise, bro?
Reaction score
I just recently got a Mesa Boogie Fifty/Fifty. Using the POD's preamp models into that thing is pretty great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
It isn't Line 6's style to discontinue a POD until after a POD at the same price-point has replaced it.

That we never got an HD-series POD with sufficient DSP to use two full amp models with eight DSP-intensive effects (as was controversially believed would be the case with the X-revision) is one of many reasons I've mostly written them off. I'm sure the Helix is a fine unit, but I can't overlook the colorful/crackable glass displays and other non-essential "features" there as a push-up bra to justify the "pro" price point it was engineered for.

I'm sure it and their low-wattage, iOS-programmable bluetooth amps you can play from your toilet have their markets, but I'm of the opinion that Line 6 has consciously chosen to ignore all-in-one functionality and the budgets of their consumer base in favor of gimmicks and punching above their weight to compete with brands outside their market (Fractal, Kemper, etc.).

Admittedly, I backed the wrong horse in investing in Positive Grid's promises. But their growth strategy of falling on their face at every opportunity hasn't been enough to push me toward a Helix in this generation.

That said, I'm always open to being won back.

sami50000

Reaction score
It isn't Line 6's style to discontinue a POD until after a POD at the same price-point has replaced it.

That we never got an HD-series POD with sufficient DSP to use two full amp models with eight DSP-intensive effects (as was controversially believed would be the case with the X-revision) is one of many reasons I've mostly written them off. I'm sure the Helix is a fine unit, but I can't overlook the colorful/crackable glass displays and other non-essential "features" there as a push-up bra to justify the "pro" price point it was engineered for.

I'm sure it and their low-wattage, iOS-programmable bluetooth amps you can play from your toilet have their markets, but I'm of the opinion that Line 6 has consciously chosen to ignore all-in-one functionality and the budgets of their consumer base in favor of gimmicks and punching above their weight to compete with brands outside their market (Fractal, Kemper, etc.).

Admittedly, I backed the wrong horse in investing in Positive Grid's promises. But their growth strategy of falling on their face at every opportunity hasn't been enough to push me toward a Helix in this generation.

That said, I'm always open to being won back.

To me, the Helix basically sounded (and still sounds) like Line6 took all the criticisms of the POD HD series, fixed everything or almost everything, threw it all in a nice expensive looking box and hiked up the price almost a thousand dollars. I'm sure the Helix is good but so many of the things that are "new" on it are just things that should have arguably been fixed or included on the POD HD in the first place, which is why to me the Helix feels like POD HD 2.0 just in a flashy new box. I'll say that I have never played through one (lol) but nothing I have heard online has particularly convinced me of it's capability. Very little of what I heard honestly sounds better than what you can achieve with the POD and some 3rd party IR's. It certainly doesn't help that the amp and effects list is considerably similar within the two units as well. The way Line6 treated the POD HD and the updates regarding it, including the final amp model packs kind of left a sour taste in my mouth overall.

Also, what do you mean by backing the wrong horse with Positive Grid?

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
whats up POD heads.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to speak about tone with abstract words.

Lets just imagine for a moment that you were crafting a modern metal tone built for clarity and punch, and you decided that the high end sounded too much like a KTHENG and not enough like a SHCWENG (maybe you could say that it sounds chopped up and jagged rather than smooth).

what parameters would you reach for in order to smooth out this ugly top end?

thanks!!

jeremyb

Reaction score
Are you using the built in cab sims? try turning the cab resonance right down to almost nothing, and crank the presence on the amps eq, the presence seems to act more like a high frequency goodness adder :)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I've been using my Pod HD Pro + Power amp rig that I gigged with as a guitarist for a few years as a bass rig now in band, It works great! The only difference is i'm using a couple bass cabs (1x15 + 2x10 low end brands).

I'm finding the first couple Fender pre-amp models to be favorite for bass - the same models i preferred for clean guitar really. I still have a bit of tweaking to do on my tones at practice, but getting there. It feels good knowing the money I spent on the Pod HD has gone so far. It was worth the lack of tap dancing at gigs by itself, but now as a bass rig i'm stoked at it's versatility.

Pweaks

Reaction score
So I'm planning to run the HD 500 through a power amp and a cab. I've read some good things about the Rocktron Velocity 300 and will probably order that from Thomann but I can't decide on a cab. Is there anyone who is using the Rocktron 300 with the pod HD and could give some options?

Metropolis

Reaction score
So I'm planning to run the HD 500 through a power amp and a cab. I've read some good things about the Rocktron Velocity 300 and will probably order that from Thomann but I can't decide on a cab. Is there anyone who is using the Rocktron 300 with the pod HD and could give some options?

Something that you would use with a real amp. I have Harley Benton GPA-400 wich is kind of Rocktron Velocity copy. That goes to Engl Standard slanted cabinet with Celestion V30 & V60 speakers. Tight sounding and smooth top end, taming little bit of that digital fizz. Make sure you use pre-amp models in HD500 and disable cab simulations. But overall you can't go wrong with Engl, Mesa or higher end Marshalls. What's your budget by the way?

blubaruboxer

Reaction score
just finished this song. all guitars and bass were done with my hd500x.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/singularis75/singularis-panacea[/SC]

MrWulf

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm debating whether or not I should join in and buy one of Line 6's Pod, particularly the Pod HD Pro one (or the X version). I'm mainly playing metal, but I also play bass and like the widest range of tone possibilities and maximum versatility from bedroom to gig. How's the quality of the thing? And what about the quality of the sound and Line 6's patches? I'm interested in the thing but turned off by my previous experience with Line 6 and also the fact that they nickel and diming with their amp model.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm debating whether or not I should join in and buy one of Line 6's Pod, particularly the Pod HD Pro one (or the X version). I'm mainly playing metal, but I also play bass and like the widest range of tone possibilities and maximum versatility from bedroom to gig. How's the quality of the thing? And what about the quality of the sound and Line 6's patches? I'm interested in the thing but turned off by my previous experience with Line 6 and also the fact that they nickel and diming with their amp model.

Hey man, I will try to answer your questions. I just picked up the Pro X about a month and a half ago after being somewhat sketchy about the purchase myself.

The build quality is pretty good. The unit itself is solid. It has some sort of metal housing and face plate. The knobs don't feel cheap (except the preset control knob, but only because it is a thumbwheel you can also push in on). Overall though, it seems like it would be roadworthy. I don't play live anymore, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it out and gig with it in a rack. It also has a ton of I/O options.

I am probably going to catch a whole mess of shit for this, but as far as sound quality, it is honestly not that bad...if you are willing to tweak a little bit. Getting ones that sound good by themselves is easy. It is very gratifying to fire up the Big Bottom or the the ultra chunky Engl cab sim it has and just chug your balls off. However, getting a tone that works in the mix can be tricky, but if you are willing to spend them time and learn the unit and deep editing parameters, getting good, useable tones is totally possible. Is it an Axe Fx? No:lol:, but as long as you don't expect it to be a Axe or KPA (it is a third of the price, after all ) and take it for what it is, you should be happy with it as a whole.

Without buying the model packs, it will only come with one bass amp sim that is just kind of an 80Hz muddy nightmare. If you do buy the upgraded model packs (I did, I don't regret it). There is a very nice GK that sounds good for metal, and I have heard guys get righteous bass tones out of some of the Fender blackface combo amp and pre amp sims as weird as that may sound.

Regarding the nickel and diming, they have the new HD model packs separately for like, $59 bucks each or, you can spend $99 and get everything. The metal pack, the vintage/boutique pack, the bass pack, etc. You mentioned that you wanted max versatility and that would be a way to get it. Maybe check the classifieds here and you may be able to find one with the new HD models already on it. Ive seen them in there for $400-$500. Sometimes with the foot controller included.

Edit: Also, check this out:

MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Contents

It is basically the "go to guide" when it comes to the Pod HD 500X/Pro X. It is was written for the HD500 (I think), but the newer 500x/Pro x (the "x" on the newer units just means one more DSP block. Other than that they are identical to the 500/Pro) are almost the same unit, one just being rack mountable, so it still applies. A member here named MeAmBobbo so awesomely took the time to put this guide together and it will basically tell you everything you want/need to know about the Pod HD series. It is a few years old, so it it doesn't have info on the new amp sims etc, but the info is still gold.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the replies. That's really helpful. I'm debating between the Eleven Rack, the Pod HD Pro and the Laney Ironheart IRT Studio (possibly throw in the damn 6505MH too but I hate the fact that everyone and their grandma has it too). The Eleven Rack seems nice and I've seen some people coaxed out some nice tones out of it, but from what I've seen Avid isn't really supporting that anymore. Laney/6505MH is alright and more gig-ready but I also record bass too so it is not a good solution. That leave only the Pod HD Pro, really.

Although, just one quick last question: so what's the difference between the X and the normal one? Just one more block of effects or what?

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Although, just one quick last question: so what's the difference between the X and the normal one? Just one more block of effects or what?

Exactly. You get one more block of DSP for effects. It is more "memory" so to speak. Other than that one block the Pro/Pro X and HD 500/HD500X are identical.

that short guy

Reaction score
I haven't posted or even been on SSO in what feels like a few months now (after a quick check it's been 3) but I've been working on a few songs. I recently just finished this one and besides the drums it's 100% my POD HD. No 3rd party IR's or any of that jazz.

The main rhythm and lead tones are my normal tone that I posted ages ago, but the sligtly broken up tone, vovals, and bass tone are fairly new ones that I've been reworking.

Let me know what you think of the tones

https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/this-is-who-i-am

I've been tempted to buy a Helix but I think it's just cause it has that "new/shiny feel to it" I'm fairly satisfied with the tones I can get from my POD.

anyway hope you enjoy

')