This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is really dying eh? Everybody switched to other units or what?

I could use some insight in recording matters. While recording tracks for my previous band a couple of years back, we used a DI box, split it to my old Pod X3 bean for monitoring and to a Focusrite audio interface to record the DI track.

I've got a Pod HD500X for a while already, and I'm wondering if recording over USB on a patch without any fx or amps on it, in other words, a dry patch, gives me a dry sound signal something comparable to the method described above, with the DI box.

I can't really seem to to find anything on this, but I'm kind of worried that a) without a DI box there is no conversion unbalanced to balanced, so not so good quality and b) there is some kind of sound processing, even on a dry patch.

-------

Some notes:
-Don't worry about me being able to monitor the clean tracks ;) I can set up a dual patch, or run my other pod to an amp.
-I can still fall back on my Pod X3, it actually has options to record a wet and dry signal at the same time.

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is really dying eh? Everybody switched to other units or what?

I could use some insight in recording matters. While recording tracks for my previous band a couple of years back, we used a DI box, split it to my old Pod X3 bean for monitoring and to a Focusrite audio interface to record the DI track.

I've got a Pod HD500X for a while already, and I'm wondering if recording over USB on a patch without any fx or amps on it, in other words, a dry patch, gives me a dry sound signal something comparable to the method described above, with the DI box.

I can't really seem to to find anything on this, but I'm kind of worried that a) without a DI box there is no conversion unbalanced to balanced, so not so good quality and b) there is some kind of sound processing, even on a dry patch.

-------

Some notes:
-Don't worry about me being able to monitor the clean tracks ;) I can set up a dual patch, or run my other pod to an amp.
-I can still fall back on my Pod X3, it actually has options to record a wet and dry signal at the same time.

I've heard from someone that it's better to use a DI box for that purpose, but don't take it for granted. I'd like some info as well. :ugh:

blacai

Reaction score
I have been trying to create a preset where I tune one step down using a pitch pedal.

Settings are:
Pitch: -1.1
MIX: 100%
FX Type: Pitch
FX Model: Pitch Glide

More or less it sounds "ok", but it lacks of definition/clarity.
Where should I place the effect? Beginning of the chain? Just before the amps?
pitch.png

How should the pitch be in order to tune 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2... steps down?

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
I have been trying to create a preset where I tune one step down using a pitch pedal.

Settings are:
Pitch: -1.1
MIX: 100%
FX Type: Pitch
FX Model: Pitch Glide

More or less it sounds "ok", but it lacks of definition/clarity.
Where should I place the effect? Beginning of the chain? Just before the amps?
pitch.png

How should the pitch be in order to tune 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2... steps down?

Try putting the Glide at the first place in the chain.

tuttermuts

Reaction score
Got a question:

Using outbord cabsims on a hd500x (I've been eyeballing the pangaea for a while) is it worth it? This would be for live.
I've only managed to find a few examples online, seems like a slight improvement.
Tried in a daw a couple of times with mixed results (didn't have much time to fiddle around with it tbh). Thing is there seems to be a bit of confusion as to what output mode to use and how.

Anyone?

Rizzo

Reaction score
Just a random question since I had this idea but I'm not home with my pod for a bunch of weeks now: if you stack up some delays with modulation and set them all at the same time except for feedback and modulation efx, can you get one delay with different modulated trails or would it just be a mess?

Santuzzo

Reaction score
A question to those of you who got the HD amp packs:
Would you say the new amp models are worth getting?
I do think I have plenty of amp models in the POD HD500 already, and I actually only use a few of them and am very pleased with the tones I'm getting, so I'm not feeling a necessity of getting the amp packs, however if the new amp models are very good sounding then it might be worth it.

For metal rhythm tones I mostly use the Treadplate and the Fireball models both with a Screamer in front of them. To me those sound very good.

I watched a few demo clips on YT on the amp model packs but I was not blown away by them. Sounded fine, but nothing that made me think I HAVE to get those ....

Akhenat0n

Reaction score
A question to those of you who got the HD amp packs:
Would you say the new amp models are worth getting?
I do think I have plenty of amp models in the POD HD500 already, and I actually only use a few of them and am very pleased with the tones I'm getting, so I'm not feeling a necessity of getting the amp packs, however if the new amp models are very good sounding then it might be worth it.

For metal rhythm tones I mostly use the Treadplate and the Fireball models both with a Screamer in front of them. To me those sound very good.

I watched a few demo clips on YT on the amp model packs but I was not blown away by them. Sounded fine, but nothing that made me think I HAVE to get those ....

Well I got those for free, and I say yes. Big Bottom and 5150 are something that I really missed. To be honest I still haven't tried the vintage and the bass pack amps out yet. To be fully honest only the Big Bottom and the 5150 :D For example, check this out: [SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/pod-hd-big-bottom?in=dinko-infeqtor-lipova-a/sets/pod-hd500[/SC]

Sounds godlike to my ears.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Well I got those for free, and I say yes. Big Bottom and 5150 are something that I really missed. To be honest I still haven't tried the vintage and the bass pack amps out yet. To be fully honest only the Big Bottom and the 5150 :D For example, check this out: [SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/pod-hd-big-bottom?in=dinko-infeqtor-lipova-a/sets/pod-hd500[/SC]

Sounds godlike to my ears.

Thank you!
That does sound great indeed :yesway:
Awesome playing, too :shred: and I love me some Nevermore! :hbang:

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
My trusty old x3 live is going to retire this weekend (I have already fixed it five times and I've had enough) and there's a hd500x on the way. Now I'll just have to start collecting tones for trying out. Shame that the free amp pack promotion isn't available anymore though. :)

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Got my hd500x yesterday and holy crap there's a lot more to tweak compared to my old and trusty x3 live. Last night went on purely just ....ing around and trying different stuff on it.

The footswitches are quite a lot better than they were on x3 live (and apparently on hd500 too.), there's a lot less squeaking and wobling when pressing the buttons. At first they felt "wrong" under my foot when changing patches and whatnot, but after a while I could say that they're heaps better. I love thebled rings, they're much better than the little lights on my x3. Expression pedal feels different too and the toeswitch is a bit harder to press, but it's not a bad thing.

I bet I'm going to love this a lot more than x3 after getting used to tweaking it.

MiPwnYew

Reaction score
Just picked up a used HD500x. I'm loving Meambobbo's guide and heavy tones, but does anyone have any tips to get a nice and realistic sounding acoustic tone with the piezo saddles on my JP? Wasn't sure if there are certain amps/comps/speakers that lend themselves to sound better for acoustic stuff

Rizzo

Reaction score
Pasting from another thread because it was slightly OT there.
_________

2 times out of 3 on my Pod HD I feel high gain tones have enough gain but no "body" or "meat" to them, especially on lower strings and palm mutes.
Feels like the signal is actually a clean tone but then processed through distortion, which doesn't totally saturate.
Also I can rarely find the balance between saturation and natural compression because of this. If I add more gain, it gets ok for compression but oversaturated. If I keep the gain low and add a compressor it feel unnatural and squashed already, like an overproduced Sturgis metalcore tone. Also I hate compressors so that doesn't help.

For any of you who happens to know Line6 compressors inside and out, which is the least aggressive? Again I never used to use compressors so I'm not experienced. Tried the red comp but it squashes out too much. I just need to regain the feel of a regular high gain amp as mentioned.

lewis

Reaction score
just picked up a Pod X3 live 2nd hand. Already own the HD Pro and the HD Bean.

The X3's distortion, when used with some physical pedals infront, sounds way better on high gain tones.
There is some weird boxy, low mid fizzy type thing on the HD's high gain amps which is tough to get rid of. That does not exist on the X3. The only fizz you get is the normal high end stuff that you can EQ away easy.

Im going to use the X3 now for live (except any massive shows, which will be my Kemper isntead) and practices.

lewis

Reaction score
BUMP:

Anyone know If I can set up a whammy divebomb effect with the Pod Hd (using the floorboard with it) that doesnt depend on the foot expression pedal being clicked down first to activate "whammy mode"?
Want it more like the actual digitech whammy where its already an active effect from the off and the pedal being up is 0% effect and right down is 100% effect.
I dont use Volume for anything and would want to swap what is active by default from the volume to the whammy effect?.
Is this possible?
i.e not having to click it down first for the effect to be there

marcwormjim

Reaction score
On the 500/500X floorboard, you can assign any effect's parameters (including on/off) to any of the unit's switches - If you're using the HD Pro with floorboard accessory, it seems odd that they'd omit such a basic feature.

')