This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
most of the high-gain models have PLENTY of gain available, so I don't imagine you'd need a boost there. pre-EQ'ing the distortion tone can almost always help draw out some desirable tonal nuances. The Pod HD has EQ's and distortion effects you can place before the amp that can get you there, and they are programmable per patch. Some have claimed the distortion effects aren't good, others have claimed they are incredibly accurate. I can't say, but I do find they work well.

If you have an HD300/400, you may want to consider getting an EQ or distortion pedal to place before the Pod HD, as those models can only use a single EQ or distortion effect, and if you use it as your boost/pre-EQ, you can't use any EQ after your amp.

POD XT also has plenty of gain but Acle from Tesseract still uses TC PRE before it as a boost ... guys from Vildhjarta use (as I heard) graphic eq before their POD's as a boost ... I haven't heard any one is using boost before HD devices.

I have POD HD Pro which I use with tube poweramp and cabinet. It was hard to pull out a good sound that I was used to when having engl setup, but manage to get close.

Yesterday I tried to add Rocktron Hush Super C after the POD and it really purifies the sound, adds clarity, dimension and tightness. I'll probably keep it.

I also have TC integrated preamp clone I may try to put before but it's kinda drag fixing the pedal inside the rack with a big ass 24V adapter if it won't improve the sound noticeably.
Thats why I first wanted to know is there anyone with an experience and advice.

Shask

Reaction score
I have played with using my OD808 and GT-OD in front of the HD500. I like it better sometimes than the built in ODs. It definitely has more of a "the tone is jumping out of the speaker" effect than the built in ODs for high gain sounds. But, it may not be worth the switching hassle if you have a lot of programmed sounds.

I find he ODs in the HD500 to be "OK". They work, but seem kind of flat compared to the real thing.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
I have played with using my OD808 and GT-OD in front of the HD500. I like it better sometimes than the built in ODs. It definitely has more of a "the tone is jumping out of the speaker" effect than the built in ODs for high gain sounds. But, it may not be worth the switching hassle if you have a lot of programmed sounds.

I find he ODs in the HD500 to be "OK". They work, but seem kind of flat compared to the real thing.

Is there any difference between putting the pedal physically in front of the POD and putting it in loop and using an FX Block to load the pedal and putting the fx block in the begining of the chain?

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
I tried for two days the Hard Gate and ... naaah! noise on string stop! Annoying as fuck! I tried to increase the Thresh open and closed (they're at the same level). I think I'll tweak it better in the future, today I feel lazy :lol: and here the weather is too hot for tweaking! Until that moment...back to the standard gate (that is really good!)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I tried for two days the Hard Gate and ... naaah! noise on string stop! Annoying as fuck! I tried to increase the Thresh open and closed (they're at the same level). I think I'll tweak it better in the future, today I feel lazy :lol: and here the weather is too hot for tweaking! Until that moment...back to the standard gate (that is really good!)

The standard gate is garbage and kills your tone as bad as a boss ns-2. My chain is always compressor > hard gate > screamer > hard gate > amp and they work perfectly. Make sure your hold and decay settings are at zero, and your second gate is at a lower threshold.

My $0.02

Also, I compared my isp decimator pedal to the hard gate and it worked the exact same.

meambobbo

Reaction score
maybe when I say boost it's a semantic issue. most dirt pedals, whether you have the boost the signal level or not, are still eq'ing and slightly distorting the waveform, even if you have all the eq-related knobs at noon. i would imagine that's the main draw from them, not the fact that they boost the overall signal level. boosting was necessary 30 years ago to get a saturated distortion. Now it only means you'll use 40% gain instead of 60% on your amp.

as for the OD's in the Pod, try setting your impedance to 1M rather than Auto. If the Pod's first effect is the OD effect and you have Auto, you get the impedance defined for that effect, and I know a lot of the OD's are 230K which definitely loses a lot of crispness. that might explain the "flatness" issue. I know for sure the Screamer defaults to 230 K.

As far as putting an OD in the loop, there are benefits and drawbacks. The benefits are you can switch it on/off with your patches, so there's no tap-dancing. Also, you can tweak the send/receive levels. The drawback is you have to use more cables, and there's an extra set of DA/AD conversions, so you might lose a little tone. And it can be a bit more complicated to gain stage everything nicely.

meambobbo

Reaction score
for the hard gate, i like to set open threshold slightly higher than close threshold. This prevents the gate open/close jitter when the signal is right at the threshold level. hold and decay at 0 for super fast action.

as rickycigs said, use two gates for maximum tightness.

Shask

Reaction score
Is there any difference between putting the pedal physically in front of the POD and putting it in loop and using an FX Block to load the pedal and putting the fx block in the begining of the chain?
I have never tried it. I will have to. I plan on messing with using the FX Return as an input soon, so maybe I will try the pedal thing also...

I think I must be the only person that never uses a gate on here :lol: I guess I have played tube amps so long that some hiss and static doesn't bother me....

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I have never tried it. I will have to. I plan on messing with using the FX Return as an input soon, so maybe I will try the pedal thing also...

I think I must be the only person that never uses a gate on here :lol: I guess I have played tube amps so long that some hiss and static doesn't bother me....

I used a gate on every tube amp I've owned so I don't even remember what it's like without it lol

Most of us are using gates for the tightness/crispness of our palm mutes. We don't like our amps to be running off doing whatever they please. Gettin the neighborhood girls pregnant and whatnot.

Shask

Reaction score
I used a gate on every tube amp I've owned so I don't even remember what it's like without it lol

Most of us are using gates for the tightness/crispness of our palm mutes. We don't like our amps to be running off doing whatever they please. Gettin the neighborhood girls pregnant and whatnot.
I have a Decimator, but it just sits on my desk, lol. I had a NS-2 for a long time also. I guess I just got too lazy to hook them up, lol.

I think also, since I have been playing for years I have a very tight pick attack and muting technique. Think Dino Cazares :shred: so, many times I don't notice a huge difference... I like gates, I guess I am just so used to running without them that I dont notice...

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I have a Decimator, but it just sits on my desk, lol. I had a NS-2 for a long time also. I guess I just got too lazy to hook them up, lol.

I think also, since I have been playing for years I have a very tight pick attack and muting technique. Think Dino Cazares :shred: so, many times I don't notice a huge difference... I like gates, I guess I am just so used to running without them that I dont notice...

well even that being said, static and hiss in recordings is annoying as fuck! lol

meambobbo

Reaction score
i mainly use a gate on the metalcore/djent stuff where you need that contrast between notes and rests and it's real punchy. for other patches I try to avoid it, unless for some reason I'm using so much gain the noise is unbearable.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
The standard gate is garbage and kills your tone as bad as a boss ns-2. My chain is always compressor > hard gate > screamer > hard gate > amp and they work perfectly. Make sure your hold and decay settings are at zero, and your second gate is at a lower threshold.

My $0.02

Also, I compared my isp decimator pedal to the hard gate and it worked the exact same.

I won't give up xD I'll set it better, maybe increasing the level just a bit.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
i guess were getting new amp models??just for the 300/400 but im sure they will add them to our 500/pro/bean versions
finally were getting Soldano® SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive im looking forward to this one! for leads of course =p

Just in case anyone missed the announcement at the top of the page.

Details:

POD HD300/400 Flash Memory v2.01 is a FREE firmware update that is highly recommended for all POD HD400 users.

What’s New? POD HD400 2.01 includes seven new HD guitar amp models, one HD bass amp model (with matching cab + eight mic model choices) and two new FX models; an advanced noise gate and vintage-voiced mic preamp model.

• “Solo 100 Clean”, “Solo 100 Crunch”, and “Solo 100 Overdrive” HD Guitar Amp Models
    Three new HD guitar amp models based on* the Clean/Crunch and Overdrive channels of the classic, hand-built Soldano® SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive 100-watt head.
  • “Line 6 Doom” and “Line 6 Epic” HD Guitar Amp Models
    Two new, Line 6 original HD guitar amp models with lots of gain on tap. Line 6 Doom delivers maximum sludge by combining a Marshall® JCM800 preamp and Hiwatt® Custom 100 power amp with some additional tweaks. Line 6 Epic provides sustain for days at virtually any playing dynamic, giving up gobs of distortion with ease. Play with the Master Volume parameter to experience the true versatility of these amps.
  • “Plexi Lead NRM” and “Plexi Lead BRT” HD Guitar Amp Models
    Stunning new HD guitar amp models based on* the Normal and Bright inputs of the legendary Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead 100-watt head.
  • “Flip Top” HD Bass Amp Model
    Based on* the Ampeg® B-15NF Portaflex®, one of the most popular studio bass amps of all time.
  • Eight New Mic Choices for the “Flip Top” Cab Model
    Get your ideal bass tone from the new “Flip Top” HD bass model with eight mic choices based on*:
    • Shure® SM57
    • Sennheiser® 421
    • AKG® D12
    • AKG® D112
    • EV® RE20
    • Shure® SM7B
    • Heil Sound® PR40
    • Neumann® U47
  • “Vintage” HD Mic Preamp Model
    A vintage-voiced tube mic preamp based on* the Requisite Y7. Place this model at any point in the signal chain to give incredible warmth to vocal sounds and guitar and bass tones. This model lives in the FX1 slot. Its controls include:
    • Gain: Input Gain
    • HPF: Provides a High-Pass Filter with a range of 20Hz-500Hz
    • LPF: Provides a Low-Pass Filter with a range of 5kHz-20kHz
    • Phase: 0 or 180 degree out of phase (useful when used within parallel signal paths)
    • Output: Output Level
  • “Hard Gate” Model
    An advanced gate capable of extremely quick response. With controls for hold time, decay rate, and separate open/close thresholds, Hard Gate is ideal for any genre including Metal. It can even be abused to create erratic “sputter” and “splat” effects. This model lives in the FX1 slot.
  • Cabinet Bypass
    Choose the “none” option in the cabinet selection menu to bypass cabinet/mic modeling.

')