This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
Quick noob question: What would be a better investment, Pod HD Pro or Pod HD Desktop? I would mainly be using it for recording and occasionally live (so which would be cheaper to set up and play live?)

Currently I use Pod Farm with the UX1 and it appears the tones on the HD series are light years ahead.

Chuck

Reaction score
Quick noob question: What would be a better investment, Pod HD Pro or Pod HD Desktop? I would mainly be using it for recording and occasionally live (so which would be cheaper to set up and play live?)

Currently I use Pod Farm with the UX1 and it appears the tones on the HD series are light years ahead.

If you are planning on playing live then the cheapest (and simplest) way to go (In most cases) would be to just get an HD500. I was going to get a HD Pro and the shortboard MKII but then decided to save $400 and just get the HD500

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
If you are planning on playing live then the cheapest (and simplest) way to go (In most cases) would be to just get an HD500. I was going to get a HD Pro and the shortboard MKII but then decided to save $400 and just get the HD500

Okay, and are there any differences between the Pd HD Desktop and the HD500?

HoKrll

Reaction score
Here's the results of my experiment! https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/all-new-materials-tone-test

Tone is up on my custometone

Nice, a lot better than everything I tried. However, I still cant get past the thinness. Maybe Im spoiled from my XXX's amazing, full clean tone. I just cant get anything to sound good clean from the POD...well the way I want it anyways. My EMG 85 in my Les Paul sounds a bit better than my Schecter Garza, but still too bleh

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Nice, a lot better than everything I tried. However, I still cant get past the thinness. Maybe Im spoiled from my XXX's amazing, full clean tone. I just cant get anything to sound good clean from the POD...well the way I want it anyways. My EMG 85 in my Les Paul sounds a bit better than my Schecter Garza, but still too bleh

It all boils down to preference. I have to EQ the crap out of a lot of my clean tones to get them right

Reaction score
Or combining the Flip Top (bass amp) with the Treadplate can give a very nice grinding bass tone.

I do this. ^^^ I either run the Flip Top solo into the Treadplate's matching cabinet and a Line 6 Tube Drive in front and a post-EQ behind; or I run the Flip Top on its own stock cabinet alongside the Treadplate (going into its own stock cabinet too) and both parallel into a few noise gates and a post-EQ.

Easy-peezy-lemon-squeezy.

bklixuz

Reaction score
In regards to the JSX, I put my POD HD in front of my XXX at a live gig as a last resort one time(long story).
And it actually sounded really good. I had the XXX on a totally clean sound. The Cleans of the POD with their nice effects finally sounded full and well, good, from the tubes.
Also, the distortion had lots of body and cut through the mix very nicely.
Of course you need your patch to be tweaked for being in front of an amp!

+1
i just received my hd yesterday and with POD edit it was very easy to use! my first time on a pod though..
i did a lot of comparison from my keyboard amp and the jsx (fx return) cab sims on/off and with the tones i was looking i preferred the pod plugged to the jsx. it just sounded punchy and boomy. on the keyboard amp it sounded lifeless and digital! the cleans arent that great though probably because of my gflex cab. as far as colouration i dont really noticed any the tones of both amps dont have sound that much different (except it sounded better on the jsx :D :D :D) but will be taking advantage more on the cab sims so will be using the keyboard amp.. :)

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Here are my two latest tones in a quick tone test. I actually got Fred's input on these so it kind of kicks ass to have someone you really respect dig tones you built based on their tone. lol And I've read a lot about the other amp models not being good for decent gain sound but these use the Brit J45 Brite model with a ProCo Rat model (Classic distortion) in front. Based off Fred Brum's tone on Vortex.

https://soundcloud.com/#nothingleft09/vortex-tone-test-fred-brum

Download links for the tone are in the track description. Enjoy fellas.

*Edit* Made a couple tweaks to the melody tone on the tape echo and reverb that fred suggested so the melody tone is tweaked a bit from the recording.

mongey

Reaction score
Heya

I seem to be retarded. I can't work out how to get a setlist In txt form Into pod edit ??

I tried a bunch of meambobbo's patches and wanna install the whole setlist , but fuck me if I can work it out even after googling

Thanks

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Hmm... I thought after downloading the patches you could just select a setlist from the drop down menu and then load each patch into HD edit and then sync the selected tones to the POD.

Nemonic

Reaction score
Hello guys. A long time ago, I posted questions about XT vs HD, especially the Big Bottom model. I bought the HD 500 couple months ago, I switched back to my iPad rig after a lot of tweaking the HD, ten minutes ago I plugged the XT, which pleased me only when I used it with cabinet modeling from Overloud. I disabled the Overloud, enabled the 13th cabinet simulation (my display is broken) and now I could not believe my ears. It sounded a lot better than HD and Overloud. Now I am laughing a lot, because XT was my first modeler, and it was crucial, because I was not able to tweak it properly.
Edit: Now I am back from the test. I found an information inside the Gearbox, it was the Jazz Clean 212 with SM 57. I tried both POD as a router for monitors and ran the second one into the first one. XT wins. All the clarity and brightness amazes me.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of killer sounding tones coming from the axe-fx's fas modern, so I said to myself, why can't I do that?

That being said, I'm going to be trying to emulate a couple tones I've heard recently over the next couple days. Between my ears, and a spectrum analyzer, I think I can get something in the ballpark.

Any suggestions on what I should try? I'm going to go with a treadplate and try some of the onboard and redwirez impulses.

Oh, and of course I will post my results.

Latest posts

')