meambobbo

Reaction score
U need to disable monitoring on the direct signal in the pod control panel or disable direct monitoring in reaper

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Does the Pro have any advantages over the 500 it's like $400 difference and the Pro doesn't have a board with it.

infreaks

Reaction score
There's 2 ways to do this. Either way you have to use Studio/Direct output mode and use dual amps with one amp block set to "no cab" and the other using cab/mic simulation.

1) This method will only allow mono output, but gives you more DSP to play with. You just pan the tones hard left/right in the mixer block and connect the appropriate outputs to the appropriate devices. For the 1/4" to the amp, though, you'll have to insert a dummy cable into the other 1/4" output, or the Pod will sum left and right to mono. You need to keep them separate. Also, you can't use any mono fx after the mixer block. If you need a mono effect, place two copies of it behind each amp block before the mixer.

2) This method allows stereo output, but you have less DSP. On the channel with "no cab", place an FX Loop effect right before the mixer. Use the effects loop send jack to send the signal to your amp. Mute this channel in the mixer. For the other channel with a cab/mic selected, pan it dead center in the mixer and set the level how you like it. Connect it to the mixer via both XLR's. All your effects have to be placed before the Mixer/FX Loop. You'll need to use 2 copies of each effect for each channel.

Hi meambobbo,

my rehearsal got cancelled last saturday so i havent tried your method :(

But i have Mesa Boogie Mark V head, Laney 212 Lionheart Cab, Roland AC-60 acoustic guitar amp and Philips SHP-2500 Headphone flat for monitoring in my bedroom. Considering that Roland AC-60 have Mic/Line input that accepts XLR balanced cable, i created 3 preset to tried both your method.

In every preset I tried your dual cab suggestion, using Angel F-Ball into treadplate cab w 57 on axis on channel A, for channel B Angel F-Ball with no Cab. Put them around the same volume, maybe the tread/57 a bit higher, similar eq and amp dep settings.

The First Method :
Routing into Roland AC 60 :
Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output Left -> Roland AC 60 Line input

Routing into Mark V half stack :
Guitar -> POD HD500 unbalanced output Left -> Return of Half Stack Amp (plugged a dummy cable into POD HD500 unbalanced output Right)

Signal Flow View (SFV) for the first method :
DirectMonitoringMonoReverb_zps890185fd.jpg

The Second Method :
Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output Left ( i didn't use the both the left and right balanced output) -> Roland AC 60 Line input

Guitar -> POD HD500 FX Send -> Send input of Half Stack Amp

Signal Flow View (SFV) for the second method :
DirectMonitoringStereoReverb_zpsf96f0639.jpg

DirectMonitoringStereoHM_zps70d0d2e5.jpg

I have question regarding both method :
1. In the first method, I put stereo effects "Reverb Plate" after mixer and the reverb coming out from both Roland AC-60 and Mesa Mark V half stack. Is this the correct way to put stereo effects in the first method ? or i should put the reverb plate in both path A and B ?

2. In the second method, what do you think about my routing into Mark V half stack ? what do you mean by "Use the effects loop send jack to send the signal to your amp."? is it to use POD HD500 FX Send to send signal into my send input in mark V ?

3. In the second method, in path A i put Angel FBall with Thread V30 cab and 57 mic on axis, why do i have to use both xlr to send signal into mixer ? in the first method do i need to use both xlr to send signal into mixer ?

4. In the second method, what do you mean by "All your effects have to be placed before the Mixer/FX Loop. You'll need to use 2 copies of each effect for each channel."? Is it only the mono effects or also the stereo effect have to be place before the mixer and do i need to use 2 copies also for the stereo effect ? In the second method first preset SFV as you can see i put reverb plate before mixer and in the second preset SFV i put Smart Harmony after the mixer. what do you think the correct way to put stereo effect in second method, after mixer or before mixer ?

This is another situation than my question earlier:
I don't have a mixer and FOH or FRFR PA, but when i play in the studio i could run direct into mixer, so the setup when i play in the studio would be like this :
Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct with Full Amp dan Cabinet Simulator selected) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output -> Mixer -> FOH

do i need to use both xlr cable, left balanced output and right balanced output -> mixer -> foh ?

At home i have Roland AC 60 guitar acoustic amps and Philips SHP-2500 Headphone or i could borrow Audio Techinca ATH-M50. Then I dial a dual amp preset with your suggestion (Engl F-Ball into treadplate cab w 57 on axis on one channel and uber cab w 121 ribbon on the other. Put them around the same volume, maybe the tread/57 a bit higher, and similar eq, cab dep, amp dep settings) using this routing :
1. Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output Left -> Roland AC 60 Line input.

OR

2. Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Phones Output -> Philips SHP-2500 Headphone or Audio Techinca ATH-M50.

I tried both routing, but it sounds different, when it sound good in the headphones its not so good in the Roland AC-60, vice versa.

What do you think the best routing to dial a preset that would get closest sounding when i run direct into mixer in the studio ? using the headphones or roland ac-60? or i'm just kidding myself because i would always do a major tweaking when running direct into mixer in the studio.

thank you very much, sory if i asked so many question and if it is confusing you :bowdown:

infreaks

Reaction score
i tried many preset posted in this thread especially for metal, djent, seven string, clean, ambient and all of meambobbo.
generally i dont quite like the distortion rhythm preset but the lead sound, clean and ambient is amazing.

then i started tweaking using meambobbo suggestion :
"Anyone ever use a dual amp patch - same amp into treadplate cab w 57 on axis on one channel and über cab w 121 ribbon on the other. No phase correction needed. Put them around the same volume, maybe the tread/57 a bit higher, and similar eq settings. Then use a mid focus eq post mixer to trim the high and low end to get it right. Most realistic high gain cab tone I can get from this unit I think. Have tried ALL KINDS of shit and keep coming back to this."

I have Ibanez RG 7421 with BKP aftermaths set, creating my first preset for metal rhythm and its start to sound amazing in all the routing that i have tried in my earlier post, just have to tweak according the routing that i used.

and i've read all 200 pages, still reading meambobbo and halfway reading the pod advanced guide.

Many thanks to this thread and all user that share knowledge in this thread :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hi meambobbo,

my rehearsal got cancelled last saturday so i havent tried your method :(

But i have Mesa Boogie Mark V head, Laney 212 Lionheart Cab, Roland AC-60 acoustic guitar amp and Philips SHP-2500 Headphone flat for monitoring in my bedroom. Considering that Roland AC-60 have Mic/Line input that accepts XLR balanced cable, i created 3 preset to tried both your method.

In every preset I tried your dual cab suggestion, using Angel F-Ball into treadplate cab w 57 on axis on channel A, for channel B Angel F-Ball with no Cab. Put them around the same volume, maybe the tread/57 a bit higher, similar eq and amp dep settings.

The First Method :
Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output Left -> Roland AC 60 Line input

Guitar -> POD HD500 unbalanced output Left -> Return of Half Stack Amp (plugged a dummy cable into POD HD500 unbalanced output Right)

Signal Flow View (SFV) for the first method :
DirectMonitoringMonoReverb_zps890185fd.jpg

The Second Method :
Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output Left ( i didn't use the both the left and right balanced output) -> Roland AC 60 Line input

Guitar -> POD HD500 FX Send -> Send input of Half Stack Amp

Signal Flow View (SFV) for the second method :
DirectMonitoringStereoReverb_zpsf96f0639.jpg

DirectMonitoringStereoHM_zps70d0d2e5.jpg

I have question regarding both method :
1. In the first method, I put stereo effects "Reverb Plate" after mixer and the reverb coming out from both Roland AC-60 and Mesa Mark V half stack. Is this the correct way to put stereo effects in the first method ? or i should put the reverb plate in both path A and B ?

2. In the second method, what do you think about my routing into Mark V half stack ? what do you mean by "Use the effects loop send jack to send the signal to your amp."? is it to use POD HD500 FX Send to send signal into my send input in mark V ?

3. In the second method, in path A i put Angel FBall with Thread V30 cab and 57 mic on axis, why do i have to use both xlr to send signal into mixer ? in the first method do i need to use both xlr to send signal into mixer ?

4. In the second method, what do you mean by "All your effects have to be placed before the Mixer/FX Loop. You'll need to use 2 copies of each effect for each channel."? Is it only the mono effects or also the stereo effect have to be place before the mixer and do i need to use 2 copies also for the stereo effect ? In the second method first preset SFV as you can see i put reverb plate before mixer and in the second preset SFV i put Smart Harmony after the mixer. what do you think the correct way to put stereo effect in second method, after mixer or before mixer ?

I don't have a mixer and FOH or FRFR PA, but when i play in the studio i could run direct into mixer, so the setup when i play in the studio would be like this :
Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct with Full Amp dan Cabinet Simulator selected) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output -> Mixer -> FOH

:

He means that you use the line out of your pod into the fx loop return of your mark V. That uses only the power amp of the amp. Any amp will sound like shit running an amp sim into the input of an amp.

Reaction score
Only if you need a dedicated dry out and want a rack mount unit.

You can also have a dry out over S/PDIF in POD HD500. For what I've read, The only remarkable difference with HD PRO is that it has S/PDIF input.

It really depends on the uses and money you have. If you are going to dedicate to studio recordings using a vast array of inputs and outputs and you don't care about expression pedal or you have a controller for that, you can go for the PRO.

Otherwise, the HD500 is, in my oppinion, the best of all. You have all capabilities of HD PRO and Desktop (Except for the S/PDIF in) and you have the footswitches and expression pedal included. If you're going to play live it's also less hassle (you only have to take one thing instead of the rack and controller + cables to link them both).

meambobbo

Reaction score
pro also has line inputs. desktop does not have an FX loop. I agree that 500 is the best bang for the buck. for the studio, i could see why you'd want a mic and perhaps line level signals from other pre-amps feeding into the pod, and you wouldn't want to have to keep swapping inputs, but let's be honest - why the hell do you need to run all that stuff through a Pod? The Pod's best aspect is its amp simulation. Cab/Mic simulation and effects or MIDI control are best done elsewhere.

meambobbo

Reaction score

Yes, so long as the effect is a true stereo effect and not a stereo dry/mono wet. Depending on the effect, a stereo dry/mono wet effect may sound fine. But that's not necessarily always the case. To tell if the effect is, mute one of the channels in the mixer and pan the other hard left/right, put the effect after the mixer, then see if you get output in the opposite field. For instance, try the hall reverb vs. plate reverb.

Yes, Pod FX Loop Send into Mark V FX Loop return. This bypasses the real amp's pre-amp, which usually colors the tone pretty strong.

You don't have to; it's optional. The FX loop send is actually a 3-connector jack, so you can get stereo output from it. Of course, your amp is mono, so that point is basically moot. Similarly, the other channel will output via both XLR's. If you use any stereo effects (like a stereo delay), you can use both XLR's to the board and retain your stereo sound. If you're just going for mono tones, then there's no point to using 2 XLR's.

When you are using the FX Loop block to send your "no cab" signal to your amp, any effects placed behind this will not be sent to your amp. In your last patch, the Smart Harmony will only apply to the signal sent to the board, not the signal sent to your amp. If you are not using the FX Loop but panning each channel hard left/right, so long as the effect is a true stereo effect, you can place one copy of the effect after the mixer. I recommend using this method if you are using mono tones.

Not sure what you're saying here. You can certainly substitute FOH/board/mixer with DAW interface, then use IR's or some other cab/mic simulation in your DAW.

infreaks

Reaction score
He means that you use the line out of your pod into the fx loop return of your mark V. That uses only the power amp of the amp. Any amp will sound like shit running an amp sim into the input of an amp.

Yes, Pod FX Loop Send into Mark V FX Loop return. This bypasses the real amp's pre-amp, which usually colors the tone pretty strong.

I get confused and thinking that its the POD HD500 FX Loop send into Mark V FX Loop send.
MarkVrearpanel_zps68ce41bb.jpg

but now that both of you clarify it, its now clear that POD HD500 FX Loop send into Mark V FX Loop Return. :yesway:

When you are using the FX Loop block to send your "no cab" signal to your amp, any effects placed behind this will not be sent to your amp. In your last patch, the Smart Harmony will only apply to the signal sent to the board, not the signal sent to your amp. If you are not using the FX Loop but panning each channel hard left/right, so long as the effect is a true stereo effect, you can place one copy of the effect after the mixer. I recommend using this method if you are using mono tones.

before you clarify about the POD HD500 FX Loop send into Mark V FX Loop Return, i'm using POD HD500 FX Loop send into Mark V FX Loop Send and i get the harmony sound from both the Roland AC-60 and Mark V, but i'll retry this preset using the POD HD500 FX Loop send into Mark V FX Loop Return.

Not sure what you're saying here. You can certainly substitute FOH/board/mixer with DAW interface, then use IR's or some other cab/mic simulation in your DAW.

I'm asking about how to get my preset that i dial in my home (using several option) sound close when running direct into mixer so i dont have to do a major tweaking in the studio because I only run direct in the studio, in my home i dont have mixer, frfr PA or FOH. But i do have Roland AC 60, Mark V halfstack, Headphones Flat Philips SHP-2500 or Audio Technica ATH-M50, audio interface POD UX 2.

When i dial a preset in my home (a dual amp preset with your suggestion, Engl F-Ball into treadplate cab w 57 on axis on one channel and uber cab w 121 ribbon on the other. Put them around the same volume, the tread/57 a bit higher, and similar eq, cab dep, amp dep settings) i could use several option :
1. Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Balanced Output Left -> Roland AC 60 Line input.

2. Guitar -> POD HD500 Guitar In (output mode : Studio/Direct) -> POD HD500 Phones Output -> Philips SHP-2500 Headphone or Audio Techinca ATH-M50.

I tried both routing, but it sounds different, when it sound good in the headphones its not so good in the Roland AC-60, vice versa.

What do you think the best routing to dial a preset that would get closest sounding when i run direct into mixer in the studio ? using the headphones or roland ac-60?

thanks to both of you for your earlier answer :hbang:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Headphones will give you closer to what the pa will sound like.

I personally use the line out rather than the fx loop out on my hd500, but that's just me. I actually use my fx loop for my carbon copy delay pedal as I like it better than the delays on the pod.

infreaks

Reaction score
Headphones will give you closer to what the pa will sound like.

I personally use the line out rather than the fx loop out on my hd500, but that's just me. I actually use my fx loop for my carbon copy delay pedal as I like it better than the delays on the pod.

thanks for your answer :) :metal:

Latest posts

')