This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Something you guys need to keep in mind is that patches only take you so far. Something that sounds great with one guitar may not transfer positively to another. You may need to brighten up a tone, increase the gain, or lower the compression. The main thing to try and understand is *how* the tones work. For my money, it's all in the EQ, since there's only a handful of decent high-gain preamps, so I'd focus on that. Also keep in mind that your tones will sound different in a mix. If you're using a patch that someone matched to a band you like, odds are they're copying the EQ work of the mixing engineer as well, to sit in that particular mix. It may or may not work as well in your own.

TaP

Genin
Reaction score
So how do you go about making a good tone? Where do I start when I wanna make a djent tone? Or 80s metal, or a good jazz sexy delay type tone? Or one of those fat juicy Gibson rock n roll tones?

Convictional

Starfish, Octopus
Reaction score
So how do you go about making a good tone? Where do I start when I wanna make a djent tone? Or 80s metal, or a good jazz sexy delay type tone? Or one of those fat juicy Gibson rock n roll tones?

I usually try experimenting with different amp models first. After that I slap a distortion pedal in front of it and see where that goes.

Here's a patch I use for jamming:

Custom Tone

If I want to use that patch for recording, I kill the echo and reverb because they're just there to make it sound bigger.

jmeezle

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jm2484/aal-tooth-and-claw-clip[/SC]

Quick clip to test out some new layered drum samples and try a different Redwirez IR with my HD500 + Ibanez TAM10.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
niceee tone lol which impulse?
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jm2484/aal-tooth-and-claw-clip[/SC]

Quick clip to test out some new layered drum samples and try a different Redwirez IR with my HD500 + Ibanez TAM10.

TaP

Genin
Reaction score
I usually try experimenting with different amp models first. After that I slap a distortion pedal in front of it and see where that goes.

Here's a patch I use for jamming:

Custom Tone

If I want to use that patch for recording, I kill the echo and reverb because they're just there to make it sound bigger.

Sweet, I'll use that in a sec.

What about all the little EQ knobs? Like honestly that's the most confusing part, but I feel like it plays such a big role. All I do every time I see a VST for one in a DAW is just mess around with each knob but idk what it's supposed to really do.

Zulphur

Reaction score
Hi, i recorded a few demo tracks with the hd500 . I also used the HD for the vocals and bass tones. The onboard compresors, chorus and delays actually works really good on vocal tracks , wasn't expecting that.
For the vocal , guitar and bass patches hit me up with a comment on the soundcloud thingy so i can share with you guys.
What do you think ?
https://soundcloud.com/jos-fco-germa-n-strange/track-09

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

I made a video on my discoveries for tweaking the Pod HD series, mainly to get around the issues that people have been having with these units. Now, the tone I made isn't GREAT, but I would say I managed to combat several of the problems that people have been complaining about and that I've experienced myself as well.

So I hope it's educational enough to help you tweak your patches! :)

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

I made a video on my discoveries for tweaking the Pod HD series, mainly to get around the issues that people have been having with these units. Now, the tone I made isn't GREAT, but I would say I managed to combat several of the problems that people have been complaining about and that I've experienced myself as well.

Pretty good video!

The only critique I have is that you could explain what the knobs do a bit more. For instance You mention that there is an interaction between 'bass' and 'thump' but you don't explain how the different settings affect your sound. Otherwise, good run through.

-edit: nevermind you go through it near the end of the video.

Also your tone is pretty good, I like.

Reaction score

Great video! First of all, I thank you for taking the time to explain all details in your patch and how you used them.

1st is a question, second, a downside:

1.- According to meambobbo's guide, he suggests using the PAD switch and if I'm not wrong, either in his guide or at Line 6's forum, it's suggested to have inputs settings to Guitar/Variax not to overload the signal. If I can see well, your choice is Guitar/Same with a simple chain. In my case, I just took all the chain to the left for example, so it doesn't overload the right channel signal. I do this in order to use dual patches with a global setting.

2.- This is perhaps the downside I find in your patch by using all slots. I do use Wah, delays, chorus and reverb sometimes, so in order to get your tone you have to discard that taking in account all the eqs you used. I must say I like how the noise gates respond. Going back to meambobbo's guide, he describes some "tone suck" or loss of some kind using the noise guite, while he recommends using the hard gate, which is what I've been using so far.

Great job with the video. I hope I can read your oppinions regarding to what I wrote.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any tone suck from the gates. They'll change how your tone reacts if you use it too heavily though. The compression of the tubescreamer and the distortion from the amp makes up for that. I do have the PAD switch engaged, too. I haven't noticed any negative side effects from using the "same" setting rather than the "variax", aside from different volumes.

As for the downside, you can remove the compressor and two of the gates and still have pretty much the same patch, so you should try that. Actually, you can probably remove that last EQ on there too! That should leave more space for the extra stuff. This tone is made to be a pure rhythm tone, which is why the patch is stuffed with polish :)

MartinMTL

Reaction score
Hello fellow POD users!

I use an HD Pro and need to make a patch which resembles some stringed instruments (cello/violin) as closely as I can, but I am not sure where to start. Any suggestions? Already existing patches I can download? Presets that already exist on the Pod which are good for tweaking?

Obviously it will sound digital, I am well aware of that, but for my uses, that is not very important.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Any setting with two "normal" guitar inputs absolutely (in every instance I've tried) doubles the noise floor. I always set it to SPDIF or Variax, since digital inputs don't have that issue. And yeah, the noise gate rolls off the highs quite a bit if you turn the threshold too high. But I'm sure there's some guitar-specific variance with both of those.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Any setting with two "normal" guitar inputs absolutely (in every instance I've tried) doubles the noise floor. I always set it to SPDIF or Variax, since digital inputs don't have that issue. And yeah, the noise gate rolls off the highs quite a bit if you turn the threshold too high. But I'm sure there's some guitar-specific variance with both of those.

Again, I really haven't noticed any loss of high end with the gates, other than the usual oddities that happens when you push any gate too hard. If it's there, I don't suffer from it though, as my pickups and settings are pretty damn bright :p

I don't have any problems with the noise being higher either when using the "same" setting, other than the signal simply being louder. I will do a test of this specifically later though, as I can compare it and see what REALLY happens when you turn that on!

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
How do you get that to sound so good? I just picked up a 500x and I can't seem to create a tone that doesn't sound like a garbage disposal. Speakers, headphones, it's all the same. I've even tried MeAmBobbo's patches, but nothing sounds remotely close to a lot of the tracks I see in this thread.

Guitar setup is an iceman with emg 60/81, tuned drop A#

There are two things that, for me, really make or break a patch in the HD series.
The first and most noticeable one is the deep parameters, particularly for the cab.
I usually turn the cabinet resonance all the way down, it gets rid of a lot of harshness and brittleness in the tone.
Also, a quick note regarding using the EQs in the pod... Don't run a loud signal into them. Turn the amp volume down to about 50%, and turn up the master volume on the unit to get the desired volume. I usually run two eqs, for my rhythm patches, one left and right, but I merge the two signals together to mono.
Anyhow, the other factor that comes into my HD tones is what I'm doing BEFORE the amp. I'm using the Line 6 Drive model in that clip, and I have the bass control at like 20% or something like that. mids at 100, treble at 100, drive at 0, output at 100. I'm also using an EQ before the amp to boost at 1.4k and cut some boominess. For context's sake, the guitar I used in that clip was my RG7420 with a Dimarzio Evo 7 in the bridge. Pretty dark sounding guitar, very massive low end.
Cab model used was the XXL V30, mic was the 409 dynamic.
Also, something that's REALLY important to know in the recording realm...
the bass tone affects EVERYTHING about how the guitar tone FEELS and FITS. A grindy bass tone can make the guitar seem grindy, a fat bass tone makes the guitars sound fat, etc.

Reaction score
Again, I really haven't noticed any loss of high end with the gates, other than the usual oddities that happens when you push any gate too hard. If it's there, I don't suffer from it though, as my pickups and settings are pretty damn bright :p

I don't have any problems with the noise being higher either when using the "same" setting, other than the signal simply being louder. I will do a test of this specifically later though, as I can compare it and see what REALLY happens when you turn that on!

Well, as I said earlier, I do have the "Same" setting enabled in the right channel, but I don't think it adds noise floor since I mute the output from the mixer and set the left channel into the middle. I do this in order to use dual patches (which are dual in every sense).

Now that I'm thinking...maybe I'm stupid because I could just set input 2 to "Variax" and still make dual patches, but using pedals in single mode (Hard gate, screamer, etc) and make it dual starting from the amps. I don't know if it'll sound the same, but I'll save a lot of DSP because with these patches, using everything in dual mode, I couldn't add 2 wahs for example (I have the HD500)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just purchased a HD PRO few days ago, and I've got it hooked up to two KRK Rokit 5s. The problem I'm having is the low A string on my 7 sounds really loose and unfocused.

I followed MF Kitten's tutorial and various others on youtube, and theyy all sound great so it has to be something from my end.

Did I setup my monitors incorrectly or bad monitors or something? Thanks!

')