ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Try re-updating firmware then, and reset setlists and footpedal. You could try rolling back firmware as well, but latest firmware works fine.

Unplugged it at took it to my tech, when I plugged it in at his place it worked totally fine.

Opened Monkey to see that it finally recognized I update the drivers, and I jsut update the flash memory.

Should have some recordings up next week I hope.

Any one have any advice to get a good After The Burial tone? Something from the In Dreams era?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

straymond

Reaction score
I'm in the process of upping my rig as I've begun rehearsing with a new drummer.

I'm currently running my HD500 in the return-input of my valveking.
I just got a 412 cab for free and wondered if I could up my game with a power amp.

any pointers on this?

jimwratt

Reaction score
That would be the same logic as your current set up. What kind of cab is it?

straymond

Reaction score
The cab isn't too much to write home about.
It's a marshall 412 that was used together with a valvestate-head.
I thought it could a be a good opportunity to check out some other rig-solutions :)

longi

Reaction score
It would be a much bigger sound than than the Peavey if the Peavey was a 1x12 or 2x12 combo. What is the Peavey amp? You could always 4 cable yourself up and have a couple more options to hand. What sort of power amp would you be looking at?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
As jimwratt said it would be pretty close to your current setup. I use a mesa 50/50. It is nice being able to use both L/R channels into the stereo power amp, even if just to have two separate volumes. Plus it's easier than lugging around a head with your POD. Does the 50/50 sound better than a valveking power section? One would think, but i really don't know.

If the valveking is doing OK, i would look at upgrading your cab first. The pod's preamp-only models sounds great through tube power and some V30's. That's what i'm using and it sounds very amp-like. Keeps up with my other guitarists high end tube heads in both tone and bandmix. The cab makes a really big difference on tone, more than any power amp IMO

straymond

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, guys!

It's a valvking 112 50watt combo.
can the cab be driven by the valveking, maybe?

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
The cab can be driven by the Valve King. Unplug the speaker, make sure the ohms match, and plug it in to your free 4x12. Should sound godlike compared to the open back combo.

The HD500 will probably sound better through the power section of the Valve King than it will through most solid state power amp solutions.

Some folks build a head cabinet for their combo guts so they can ditch the 1x12 combo format for portability. This is not a bad option.

If you can sell the VK combo or trade it for another tube head or tube power amp, that might be an upgrade. Especially if it allows you to run the HD500 in 4CM and gets you some actual tube preamp action rather than just the amp sims on the Pod.

If I were in your situation, I'd build a head cabinet for the guts of the VK combo and see how I liked that as a solution. When it comes right down to it, most tube power amps are nearly as heavy as a tube head due to the transformer requirements being the same for both, so you generally only save a little size, but not much in the way of weight. They also usually cost about the same as a head.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I've been trying to tone match this clip from bulb

https://soundcloud.com/iambulb/axefx-ii-firmware-10-test-bulb

using a modified version of meambobbo's last periphery patch

For the life of me I can't understand if the bass is too much and if the high end is right.

Can someone try the patch and give me an opinion?

The patch is for the desktop version,and I'm emulating the pad switch by dropping the gain of a studio EQ to -18 db. I'm using the compressor's gain as input boost if I'm using another guitar and I find it lacks bite.Input 2 is mic , and z=3.5k.Guitar is rg8 with d-activator for the bridge.

Attachments

• RG8 rythmE.zip
    900 bytes · Views: 11

PodHdBean

Reaction score
don't they both have fizz though ?
I hate to be "that guy" lol but I was using a pod hd and recently got an eleven rack after fighting with the line 6 fizz and I noticed the difference immediately. I did a few comparisons if anyone is interested just let me know. I've been going back and rerecording all my stuff with the 11 and I listen every time and I just can't believe how much better the eleven rack sounds. I still think the pod is a good tool and sounds pretty decent but when I a/b them the difference is ridiculous almost lol I got it brand new on ebay with the expansion pack for $400 without protools and they made a standalone editor for it so if anyone is thinking about making a switch to something else i'd definitely give the eleven rack a chance.

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
don't they both have fizz though ?

yes they both have fizz but the pod just sounds unnatural in comparison. I guess it's just one of those things that you just have to compare for yourself. the 11r fizz seems like it's more part of the natural tone or something. The pod fizz just makes it sound digital. Hard to explain I guess. But I didn't expect it to be such a big difference and now my pod is just collecting dust. Gonna keep it I think in case I travel and need something really compact but.......this is all just my opinion of course :)

https://soundcloud.com/identitydevice/pod-hd-vs-eleven-rack

https://soundcloud.com/identitydevice/eleven-rack-vs-pod-hd-slo

https://soundcloud.com/identitydevice/bogner-ecstacy-11r-vs-bogner

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
yes they both have fizz but the pod just sounds unnatural in comparison. I guess it's just one of those things that you just have to compare for yourself. the 11r fizz seems like it's more part of the natural tone or something. The pod fizz just makes it sound digital. Hard to explain I guess. But I didn't expect it to be such a big difference and now my pod is just collecting dust. Gonna keep it I think in case I travel and need something really compact but.......this is all just my opinion of course :)

https://soundcloud.com/identitydevice/pod-hd-vs-eleven-rack

https://soundcloud.com/identitydevice/eleven-rack-vs-pod-hd-slo

https://soundcloud.com/identitydevice/bogner-ecstacy-11r-vs-bogner

Ah this again...

We had a discussion on this a couple of pages back, remember? I still think you can't justify the raw comparisons. The last clip, without using same models, the 11R does sound better indeed IMO, but the POD patch could be A LOT BETTER. My argument remains: you are just unable to create a good POD patch just as fast as you create a good 11R patch...

straymond

Reaction score
thanks a lot for your suggestion, guys!
Are there some simple instructions out there on how to build a head cab for the guts of my valveking?

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
Ah this again...

We had a discussion on this a couple of pages back, remember? I still think you can't justify the raw comparisons. The last clip, without using same models, the 11R does sound better indeed IMO, but the POD patch could be A LOT BETTER. My argument remains: you are just unable to create a good POD patch just as fast as you create a good 11R patch...

The 11r patch could be a lot better too. The 11r has had more punch and bite and has been more direct and in your face every time i've recorded with it. It's more full and the line 6 always sounds like it has a blanket over it in comparison. I have heard it sound great but I can always tell when i'm listening to Pod clips. I mean most of the time. A lot of the comments that others left on the comparison clips were similar about the pod clips....people would say stuff like it sounds like a pod or something like that.

I know that pod owners of course will defend it with their life and I defended it hard as well. Hell i'm even one of the group administrators for the podhd group on facebook, but the first time I strummed a chord after plugging in the 11r I felt and heard the difference. It was inspiring to play. Now after rerecording tracks for my album that i'm working on and hearing the difference I am just blown away by the difference in sound quality. But the pod can sound good and all.

It doesn't really matter in the long run. It's all about having fun. I'm definitely not trying to argue with you or anything :metal: Just fought and fought with the pod and loved the 11r the moment I plugged in and still do and I would just like to share in the experience i've had in case others would like to give it a try as well.....and for the same price lol

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Listen to Ola's POD HD song on YouTube, then tell me the HD has too much fizz. It sounds exactly like the guitars on the album, which were all done using real amps. I've got plenty of bones to pick with the HD series, but if you tweak the amps right, they sound perfectly natural in a mix.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Step by Step Head Cabinet Build - Forums

I'd probably not bother with the Tolex and either stain the cab and lacquer it or hit it with some truck bedliner.

If you're not as handy with the tools as that guy is and don't want to arse about with making box joints, a simple dado joint would do just fine.

Reaction score
The 11r patch could be a lot better too. The 11r has had more punch and bite and has been more direct and in your face every time i've recorded with it. It's more full and the line 6 always sounds like it has a blanket over it in comparison. I have heard it sound great but I can always tell when i'm listening to Pod clips. I mean most of the time. A lot of the comments that others left on the comparison clips were similar about the pod clips....people would say stuff like it sounds like a pod or something like that.

I know that pod owners of course will defend it with their life and I defended it hard as well. Hell i'm even one of the group administrators for the podhd group on facebook, but the first time I strummed a chord after plugging in the 11r I felt and heard the difference. It was inspiring to play. Now after rerecording tracks for my album that i'm working on and hearing the difference I am just blown away by the difference in sound quality. But the pod can sound good and all.

It doesn't really matter in the long run. It's all about having fun. I'm definitely not trying to argue with you or anything :metal: Just fought and fought with the pod and loved the 11r the moment I plugged in and still do and I would just like to share in the experience i've had in case others would like to give it a try as well.....and for the same price lol

Man, at this point, 11R as well as POD HD and AXE FX are great and valid tools to create music. Even now, how great a song is depends on how good the musician is. Of course, better tools will make it great, but I think the Ola example is great in the sense that being a good musician (which includes the taste to get good tones) makes the POD HD soung great, and I bet he'd do the same with an 11R.

The good thing is that you have the chance to have different tools to work with, and that's the good thing, like having different guitars, but I don't think that means the POD HD sucks and the 11R doesn't.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Tried using the Engl preamp model at last's night gig for the first time. I have always used treadplate for my main rhythm stuff. I think i still like the treadplate tone better, especially since it complement's my other guitarist's splawn more. The Engl is a bit more marshally so it's more similar to the splawn, whereas the treadplate sits in a different spot in the mix.

What's cool is i've started using the setlists to make it easy to try out different amps within the context of this band. Each setlist has all my patches for the band, and are identical across the setlists except for swapping out the preamp models.

So setlist A is using the treadplate model for all my rhythm patches, setlist B might be all soldano rhythm patches, setlist C might be all engl rhythm patches, and so on, but the exact same bank patterns for each. That way i can easily switch amps at any time just by switching setlists, but all other effects remain the same.

This might be kinda stating the obvious, but it's really allowed me to explore the other models in a practical fashion (e.g. in a band setting) without too much tweaking.

Latest posts

')