jeremyb

Reaction score
I had an HD500 back in 2010, then switched to tube amps and single pedals, now I'm running a HD500X for effects only into my tube amp, the circle is complete.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thefatma

Reaction score
Do you guys think i could get anywhere near John petrucci's tone if i get a POD HD 500x?

thanks in advance :]

bythepainiseetheothers

Reaction score
I feel kinda stupid for this, but I didn't know that you could use just the effects on the POD HD500. So yesterday I made two patches for my amp and hey, sounds great! I guess now I have a live rig until I have money to buy other pedals.

Petef2007

Reaction score
Got my HD500 today, going to put it through it's paces tomorrow.

One thing I'm curious about is using Impulse responses with it in a DAW.

I assume if I run it into, say, Cubase and load up the IRs with something like Lecab, I can hear all the playing in real time as I play the guitar? Rather than having to record the POD and then add the impulse after?

It's probably a silly and obvious question but i'm totally new to impulses.

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
Got my HD500 today, going to put it through it's paces tomorrow.

One thing I'm curious about is using Impulse responses with it in a DAW.

I assume if I run it into, say, Cubase and load up the IRs with something like Lecab, I can hear all the playing in real time as I play the guitar? Rather than having to record the POD and then add the impulse after?

It's probably a silly and obvious question but i'm totally new to impulses.

The simple answer is yes. Personally the only problem I have using IRs with the HD500 is getting the gain staging right. The best way to do it is using the optical out if your audio interface supports it, rather than the jack outputs.

Load up lecab or ignite nadir with an impulse or two if you are going stereo into a group. Finally turn off the cabinet in the patch and you should be read to go.

meambobbo

Reaction score
Yeah the only issue will be you cant use direct monitoring on your interface so there may be a little latency

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Finally got an Alto TS112a. Now I know why people love these with Pods.

The first time I tried one I was at GC almost a year ago comparing active monitors and I almost thought I was having ear fatigue because the Alto sounded nice and flat, and I preferred it to much more expensive options. I left that day without buying anything and got ahold of a Carvin Pm12a to test at home and I didn't like it. I almost wanted to shove something inside the horn because of how it sounded and I abandoned all hopes of going FRFR and stuck to a poweramp and cab (for high gain)

Now those days are over. Either these Altos are awesome or I learned how to dial in tones a lot better...or both.

So now I've made some faux bass patches for my Agile Intrepid 830 and they're sounding awesome, which gave me the idea to combine the GK and Panama sims to simulate guitar and bass at the same time, with the ability to switch either amp on or off. Fun times!

Petef2007

Reaction score
Having a little trouble getting impulses to work with this thing while I play it.

I can get them working fine with recorded tones but I can't get it so I hear the impulse in action as I play.

Using Cubase 5.

Any advice?

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
Having a little trouble getting impulses to work with this thing while I play it.

I can get them working fine with recorded tones but I can't get it so I hear the impulse in action as I play.

Using Cubase 5.

Any advice?

Are you using the Pod as the soundcard? If you are go into the soundcard settings and look for the control panel in Cubase. You will have a direct recording line level which will be the signal from the POD. If you turn this off you should be left with the signal coming from Cubase instead. As mentioned by meambobbo the HD sound card may give you some latency problems using impulses or any monitoring inside the DAW. I had this problem sometimes especially when using a lot of plugins.

meambobbo

Reaction score
@Alex, I have an Alto TS112A myself - great speaker. I didn't even try others out - everything that gets praise in the FRFR world is 2-4x the price. It's trendy, too. For a while, all I read was about RCF, then Yamaha DXR 10, then the Atomic CLR, and now its the new Friedman FRFR. I guess if I tried them and used mine more heavily I'd be more opinionated, but I mostly use studio monitors or headphones, so I wanted a budget wedge if I wanted to jam out in various places. The TS112A leaves me quite satisfied.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
So, I've got a POD 2.0 right now, and I kind of want to upgrade. I'm looking to start recording stuff, and wanted a better tone. I play (mostly) on 8 strings and play styles from Melodic Death to clean proggy-goodness like a STS clean passage. I'm looking at used HD400s and 500s. From what I can tell, the main differences is that the 500 has more inputs, twice as long as a loop time (doesn't matter, I have a looper), and can run 8 (rather than 4) pedals (for lack of better terms) at the same time? I'm finding 400s for ~$200, and would rather go for that than the 500 at $300, unless sound quality is that much better. So, is there any differences other than what I've said above?

TL;DR - Is the sound quality on the 500 very superior to the 400?

EDIT: If somebody could also tell me what the POD Pro (and XT Pro) is, and where it fits with what I've said above, that'd be stellar.

The HD500's main advantage is the "raw" power, meaning it can handle dual amp combos, while the previous models cant, it's all about the processors power. Go for a HD500 if you can afford it, if you ask me, you won't regret the price difference. Buy something that lasts forever.

meambobbo

Reaction score
The 400 is way different, mainly in that the 4 slots are each limited to fx of certain types. You cant run multuple delays, eqs, etc. 500's 8 sloluccan be assigned any effect and placed anywhere in the signal chain. Might not seem like a big deal, but its very limiting, even if you just need core amp tones. I find a distortion or q filter effect as well as some eq before the amp is needed to get the best distortion tone from the amp. Then the amp eq controls can be very impactful on the tone, so sometimes you want to use the more transparent eq effects after the amp to really get the right frequncy balance

vick1000

Reaction score
I seem to have a problem finding any info on this:

Are the amp packs linked to the device or the account, or both?

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
Yeah saw it earlier and downloaded all the manuals for it. Was getting really psyched reading up on it... but then I saw that it doesn't have the ability to carry over delay and reverb decay while switching patches. I mean wtf? It has a feature called "Trails" that keeps the decay going when switching the effects off, and even has a cool feature to just shutoff the loop send so external effect tails can decay, but it specifically says it does not work when switching presets. Bummer.

I was thinking of maybe returning the GT-10 and giving this a shot but I hate to lose features.

Rev.

............:squint:...........

I have had my pod HD PRO for a while.... THis issue never bothered me or became prevalent.... Until you mentioned it....:wallbash:

Damn you Jack Sparrrrooooooooooowwww!!!!!!!!!!:scream:

Well I am snowed in for the weekend so I can figure out how to remedy this.....

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
............:squint:...........

I have had my pod HD PRO for a while.... THis issue never bothered me or became prevalent.... Until you mentioned it....:wallbash:

Damn you Jack Sparrrrooooooooooowwww!!!!!!!!!!:scream:

Well I am snowed in for the weekend so I can figure out how to remedy this.....

Well that was short lived....THeres a "Tails" setting on the setup screen.... THis fixes it.

Im gonna read through this whole thread now see what else I missed.

XMetalcheFX

Chef de Extreme
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its bound to your Line 6 account, but I'm not 100% sure :/

It's "bound" to your account. Once you buy a pack, it's yours and you can dl it all you need or save it on a drive

It will also stay on your machine as long as you don't update it.

Line 6 isn't clear abiut this so I had to call a rep. I did this before I purchased, because there was no way I was buying a metal pack over and over again for my pro.

')