This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Yessss. I'd really love to hear more of the big bottom in the HD series, still thinking about getting that amp pack.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my unit just died. It just went down while I was playing, and now when I turn it on, it just shows a blank screen, no logo or anything. I've tried all of the safe mode stuff, holding directional buttons etc, but absolutely nothing happened, just a black screen. Any ideas on how to fix it? I really love this unit and it's a huge shame if I can't trust it any more because of this.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my unit just died. It just went down while I was playing, and now when I turn it on, it just shows a blank screen, no logo or anything. I've tried all of the safe mode stuff, holding directional buttons etc, but absolutely nothing happened, just a black screen. Any ideas on how to fix it? I really love this unit and it's a huge shame if I can't trust it any more because of this.

Are the LED lights on? I mean is there any power in the unit when you turn it on?

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I'm trying to nail this delay tone: https://youtu.be/9l64aDvWTvk

Any advice? I can't see to get it to sound right at all. I've never seriously messed with delay before so I'm struggling here :lol:
Turn the repeats down so you only get one, and turn the volume up so it's close to your playing. The rest is just technique with playing on time and keeping things muted so that the delay is coming in between every note you play. I think the rest of the tone is just starting with a dark sound and then lowering the treble on the delay a bit more.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hope you can share your views on the following:

The last few days I have been pondering on using pedals in the POD's fx loop, to free up blocks in my patches, get a bit more of a 'real' rig feeling. All my metal patches start noise gate-boost-compressor-noise gate. I might be able to just take these all out of the patch by using pedal equivalents. I might even slap in a 1u 15 band EQ rack unit in my empty slot of my power amp case, to replace all the EQ's I have in my patch.

To be perfectly honest, I love the POD but I grew sick of having to tweak around with so many minute digital factors to get a decent sound out of it. I usually put in two or three EQ's in a patch, who does this with a proper real amp, right?

Now I'm wondering, will using pedals affect the sound more positively, or make it easier to set up good sounds?

kirillounce

Not enough O's
Reaction score
So i've tried meambobbo's Scar Symmetry tone for this cover and imo it works really well

Definitly will try this in my own mixes, thank you for your work, meambobbo!

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Who all here uses the Pod HD into a power amp and cab? I just listed my 6505+ combo and EVH 5150 III 50 watt head for sale on Craigslist after weeks of A/B'ing with my HD500 as the preamp vs the real amps, as well as the 4 cable method. I've found that the Soldano model sounds very close the 5150 III sound, and running dual amps in stereo sounds really good too, so I'm looking to pick up a stereo poweramp to use instead of my real amps.

I know a quality tube poweramp like the Mesa 2:100 or 2:50 would sound the best, but something like the Rocktron Velocity would be great just to save weight and tube costs. What's everybody's experience using a solid state poweramp vs tube? Would I be disappointed in the sound without tubes if I'm used to that sound? I'm mainly a bedroom player, but would like to have a rig that can keep up with a drummer if needed.

Also, are people using the preamp only sims using a solid state poweramp? I know the Velocity has resonance and presence controls (which have been key to getting a good tone using the HD500 into my Peavey and EVH), but for a more neutral poweramp like the Matrix, I'm guessing it might sound better to use the full sim in the Pod?

Just curious to hear about anyone's experiences.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I hope you can share your views on the following:

The last few days I have been pondering on using pedals in the POD's fx loop, to free up blocks in my patches, get a bit more of a 'real' rig feeling. All my metal patches start noise gate-boost-compressor-noise gate. I might be able to just take these all out of the patch by using pedal equivalents. I might even slap in a 1u 15 band EQ rack unit in my empty slot of my power amp case, to replace all the EQ's I have in my patch.

To be perfectly honest, I love the POD but I grew sick of having to tweak around with so many minute digital factors to get a decent sound out of it. I usually put in two or three EQ's in a patch, who does this with a proper real amp, right?

Now I'm wondering, will using pedals affect the sound more positively, or make it easier to set up good sounds?

Line 6 HD500 user here.
For a little while I was adding my chorus pedal into the FX loop and running my lofi pedal between the hd500 and my poweramp to free up resources.
While I enjoyed the 'better' sounds of my preferred chorus pedal, and 'better' sounds of my lofi pedal (over what I could create) ... It really cluttered up the whole area. I had to run power to both pedals. I needed and an extra patch cord for the lofi pedal. I had to use 2 shorty cables to hook the chorus into the FX loop. The pedal would have to either sit on top of the display screen of the hd500, or stick out in front and be in the way. It took extra time to route everything when I was setting up for a show.
In the end, I went back to using the line 6 chorus and making a lofi effect for simplicity of setup, and simplicity of using the buttons on the pedal board.
YMMV
I used to have a 3 patches that were identical, except I'd have a different effect 'pedal' in each one. So instead of 3 effects 'pedals' in 1 patch, I had 1 in each patch. It worked ok aside from having to remember with patch had which effect. There is also the slight delay in patch changes that you could hear if you didn't have a pause in the song that you could change patches in... If you're talking noise gates and eqs for your tone, this wouldn't really work.

lewis

Reaction score
Line 6 HD500 user here.
For a little while I was adding my chorus pedal into the FX loop and running my lofi pedal between the hd500 and my poweramp to free up resources.
While I enjoyed the 'better' sounds of my preferred chorus pedal, and 'better' sounds of my lofi pedal (over what I could create) ... It really cluttered up the whole area. I had to run power to both pedals. I needed and an extra patch cord for the lofi pedal. I had to use 2 shorty cables to hook the chorus into the FX loop. The pedal would have to either sit on top of the display screen of the hd500, or stick out in front and be in the way. It took extra time to route everything when I was setting up for a show.
In the end, I went back to using the line 6 chorus and making a lofi effect for simplicity of setup, and simplicity of using the buttons on the pedal board.
YMMV
I used to have a 3 patches that were identical, except I'd have a different effect 'pedal' in each one. So instead of 3 effects 'pedals' in 1 patch, I had 1 in each patch. It worked ok aside from having to remember with patch had which effect. There is also the slight delay in patch changes that you could hear if you didn't have a pause in the song that you could change patches in... If you're talking noise gates and eqs for your tone, this wouldn't really work.

I thought I might wade into this too.

I have the HD Pro rack. And still want to use pedals/EQ like the OP. Being as I have a rack setup, I find it quite easy to have a sliding drawer at the bottom for all my pedals. To free up yet more DSP for patches I dont use the line 6 Cabs and Mics and instead connect it to a Torpedo CAB for external IRs.

I have a 15band rack EQ also. The plan for me is to get a T Rex Chameleon and have that power the Torpedo CAB pedal, a OD infront, possibly a real noise gate and the Shure Wireless guitar system. (The receiver is pedal sized)

In this instance I find it probably easier and less cluttered than going the HD500 route and try to do all of this setup in a pedal board. I might even long term get a ENGL Preamp and only use the Pod for effects instead.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Who all here uses the Pod HD into a power amp and cab? I just listed my 6505+ combo and EVH 5150 III 50 watt head for sale on Craigslist after weeks of A/B'ing with my HD500 as the preamp vs the real amps, as well as the 4 cable method. I've found that the Soldano model sounds very close the 5150 III sound, and running dual amps in stereo sounds really good too, so I'm looking to pick up a stereo poweramp to use instead of my real amps.

I know a quality tube poweramp like the Mesa 2:100 or 2:50 would sound the best, but something like the Rocktron Velocity would be great just to save weight and tube costs. What's everybody's experience using a solid state poweramp vs tube? Would I be disappointed in the sound without tubes if I'm used to that sound? I'm mainly a bedroom player, but would like to have a rig that can keep up with a drummer if needed.

Also, are people using the preamp only sims using a solid state poweramp? I know the Velocity has resonance and presence controls (which have been key to getting a good tone using the HD500 into my Peavey and EVH), but for a more neutral poweramp like the Matrix, I'm guessing it might sound better to use the full sim in the Pod?

Just curious to hear about anyone's experiences.

Screw the velocity, get a Matrix gt800fx, it's hella loud if you need it to be and it has a full warm feeling to it imo. EQ tricks on your power amp kind of defeats the purpose of it being a power amp, you can tweak EQ in your POD.

Your POD simulates a tube amp, the matrix will let it growl like a monster. A tube power amp is also not very practical when using at home, unless you attenuate the .... out of it.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
How do you record with your POD HD Pro?

I recently had a short discussion with another forum user about recording your POD HD Pro tone, as well as a DI Signal, all at once in your DAW. It was very helpful.

I'm curious now as to how you are recording POD tones, as well as DI signals into your DAW?

I've been pondering the idea of this setup and am not sure if its the most efficient: Guitar -> POD HD Pro -> Stereo Output to Scarlett (SPDIF) -> Dry Out to Scarlett (instrument cable) -> Scarlett Stereo Output to studio monitors -> Scarlett hooked up USB. From there I would setup 2 separate tracks in my DAW. One for the POD tone, and one for the DI signal.

How does this compare to your setup?

Another thing that I've been pondering is that I really like the amp sims on the POD, but I don't really like the cabs. What's a good way to record the POD tone (minus the cab) and the DI track, but allow the sound being monitored to include a cab?

Share your setup!

lewis

Reaction score
so today at practice im going to try a new hd pro setup approach. (been using the kemper so far)

today the plan will be:

guitar >
VFE focus >
(Maybe noise gate) >
HD Pro >
dual amp patch blended like 25%-50% L & R whichever sounds better. (Probably the engl pre with either another one the same or the other one treadplate pre) >
Torpedo CAB in the Efx loop for IRs >
15 band rack eq >
PA

guna rely on the torpedo for poweramp simulation and the focus is an amazing tone shaping feature.

Lead tone will be the soldano with a ping pong delay.
Long term im going to add the Engl E530 for my tones and just use pod for fx

will post how i get on later :yesway:

cemges

Reaction score
Is there a verdict on HD300? I am looking to get one, all I need is one good high gain amp model, one good classic marshall sound, and one good clean tone, eq and delay for leads. I'll occasionally use volume pedal, and I would love to be able to add a gain / volume cut before amp so I don't need to deal with volume knob for my EMG 57/66. Oh and I'll use it standalone with a speaker / headphones or as interface for my pc most of the time.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
I like my hd300. It definitely sounds better with third party impulses, but stock there's some cool sounds in there as well

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/pan3optic3on/riffages-3[/SC]

Who said the HD was ....? Been ....ing around with BiAS, Amplitube and Poulin for 8 months. Pop the HD back in and bingo, all is well. :)

')