This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
I haven't posted or even been on SSO in what feels like a few months now (after a quick check it's been 3) but I've been working on a few songs. I recently just finished this one and besides the drums it's 100% my POD HD. No 3rd party IR's or any of that jazz.

The main rhythm and lead tones are my normal tone that I posted ages ago, but the sligtly broken up tone, vovals, and bass tone are fairly new ones that I've been reworking.

Let me know what you think of the tones

https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/this-is-who-i-am

I've been tempted to buy a Helix but I think it's just cause it has that "new/shiny feel to it" I'm fairly satisfied with the tones I can get from my POD.

anyway hope you enjoy

Man, this sounds awesome, it has that "bouncy" feeling between the kick and bass. Very professional in general.

that short guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been reading/lurking for ages, thought I better post something! I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and all of the great music and sounds everyone has posted. Here is my first attempt at recording using the HD500x.

https://soundcloud.com/mendelsmachines/slappy-the-dummy

All sounds are from the HD500x and Logic.

I don't know why but this kinda gave me a super mario/send in the clowns vibe to it. I liked it. The tones fit the overall feel very well.

Man, this sounds awesome, it has that "bouncy" feeling between the kick and bass. Very professional in general.

Thanks man. That bass tone was a labor of hate lol. I'd come up with something that sounded great by itself but when I'd put it in the mix it'd either be way to overpowering to where you couldn't even hear the kick anymore or would over distort the guitars. What I ended up doing is making minor tweaks and put them in the mix to spot check until I got to what you hear.

I was trying to make it way to growly and the lows were way to high. I had this weird realization that you don't actually have to put too much low end in a bass tone to get it usable, the bass does that pretty well on it's own just by the nature of how low you tune it. So I pulled back the gain and way back on the bass bumped the treble and presence and added a slight chorus just to fatten it and it worked out well I think

domsch1988

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

after trying all to many pathes from Customtone i started to notice, that seemingly everyone else seems to like darker tones than i do. Every patch i tried (from customtone or the meambobbo ones or from YT) seem to lack top end and clarity for me.
Since i tend to believe that, when everyone else does it differently, i might be wrong i'd like to share four patches with you. I attached the zipped. Whats Included?:

5150 Rythm: This is my current main rythm tone. Normally used through a poweramp and Mesa V30 cab. The Tread V30 comes quiet close in terms of EQ and overall sound. Obviously it lacks a bit balls and the Pod tends to clip a bit in the low end, but it's a pretty acurat representation of my in room sound (A/B'd through Headphones and PA in the same room with the normal setup).

AC30 Clean: This is my normal clean patch. Again through the Tread cab. This is more for the clean ballad stuff and intro work. Think Kurenai by X Japan.

Clean NC: My Ambient patch. This is for two special songs. I use it for Recording without a cab selected to emulate a acoustic guitar and in Room for laying down open chords.

EJ: My Eric Johnson style lead interpretation. I used that to practice some specific techniques. I now use that for a Saxophonish lead guitar. Your choise of Tube Screemer or FuzzFace. Different Flavors of the Same idea...

Both clean patches have optional Chorus, Uni-V or Rotary. I use them with mostly, but can switch them of if we need to practice chord matching or work on rythm in the Band context.

Enough talk. I really would like to get a second or third opinion on these. What do you think of my patches and what would you maybe change? Feel free to use these patches how ever you want, and don't hold back the critic :yesway:

Edit: Oh, and you will need the Metal Pack for the Rythm tone ;)

Attachments

• Patches.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 23

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I've been checking out EJ patches since the GNX' heyday. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow.

that short guy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

after trying all to many pathes from Customtone i started to notice, that seemingly everyone else seems to like darker tones than i do. Every patch i tried (from customtone or the meambobbo ones or from YT) seem to lack top end and clarity for me.
Since i tend to believe that, when everyone else does it differently, i might be wrong i'd like to share four patches with you. I attached the zipped. Whats Included?:

5150 Rythm: This is my current main rythm tone. Normally used through a poweramp and Mesa V30 cab. The Tread V30 comes quiet close in terms of EQ and overall sound. Obviously it lacks a bit balls and the Pod tends to clip a bit in the low end, but it's a pretty acurat representation of my in room sound (A/B'd through Headphones and PA in the same room with the normal setup).

AC30 Clean: This is my normal clean patch. Again through the Tread cab. This is more for the clean ballad stuff and intro work. Think Kurenai by X Japan.

Clean NC: My Ambient patch. This is for two special songs. I use it for Recording without a cab selected to emulate a acoustic guitar and in Room for laying down open chords.

EJ: My Eric Johnson style lead interpretation. I used that to practice some specific techniques. I now use that for a Saxophonish lead guitar. Your choise of Tube Screemer or FuzzFace. Different Flavors of the Same idea...

Both clean patches have optional Chorus, Uni-V or Rotary. I use them with mostly, but can switch them of if we need to practice chord matching or work on rythm in the Band context.

Enough talk. I really would like to get a second or third opinion on these. What do you think of my patches and what would you maybe change? Feel free to use these patches how ever you want, and don't hold back the critic :yesway:

Edit: Oh, and you will need the Metal Pack for the Rythm tone ;)

I've been checking out EJ patches since the GNX' heyday. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow.

I'll have to give these a try in a week when I get back home

Anyone could recommend me a patch for this intro?

Maybe try the JC-120 or the acoustic with a little bit of the pitch glide up and octave juts mixed in enough to accent the highs. other than that man I don't know what would get in the ball park of that sound

domsch1988

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

since our first studio days are coming closer and i need to record backing tracks for our drummer to record to, i thought you might like to hear what my patches sound like in a "mix"

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/dominik-schlack-1/das-angebot[/SC]

Remember: This is nothing "finished". Its basically a recording of the song structure, so our drummer can record to something in studio. It's 3 Guitar "parts" double tracked. All three parts use my earlier posted 5150 patch and a mesa patch. I added delay and reverb for the lead part and some post eq for the 8-String parts. It's recorded Guitar -> Pod -> Reaper. Drums are DFH. No Mastering or such. I'm a player, not a producer, so my recording skills are pretty low. Feel free to give me any feedback you want :metal:

nosferum

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im thinking of getting the POD HD500x and was hoping some of you can answer some questions I have?

1 - How good is the POD HD500X for getting great metal tones? I will be using this for bedroom playing/practice and recording. I want to make some great recordings. I have heard a lot of great covers on youtube using the HD500/X.

2 - I have monitors now but later could I get a cab and power amp and run the HD500 into that? I assume it will color the sounds? Can you turn off the internal cabs? Maybe a powered FRFR speaker would be more preferable. But in the meantime Ill use my Mackie M5 monitors.

3 - Would it be better to get a small interface like the Focusrite I2u to record into my computer?

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im thinking of getting the POD HD500x and was hoping some of you can answer some questions I have?

1 - How good is the POD HD500X for getting great metal tones? I will be using this for bedroom playing/practice and recording. I want to make some great recordings. I have heard a lot of great covers on youtube using the HD500/X.

2 - I have monitors now but later could I get a cab and power amp and run the HD500 into that? I assume it will color the sounds? Can you turn off the internal cabs? Maybe a powered FRFR speaker would be more preferable. But in the meantime Ill use my Mackie M5 monitors.

3 - Would it be better to get a small interface like the Focusrite I2u to record into my computer?

1. Just keep in mind that you'll need to spend some time learning things. Pods are not 'plug & play' kind of thing, but it's capable of achieving great metal tones when set properly.

2. You can turn the internal cabs off, no worries.

3. You don't need an audio interface as the POD acts as a soundcard/an audio interface. It would be a waste of money.

MozzoSemola94

Reaction score
Here's a live session of my band,
my guitar was recorded with the pod hd500x, for the high gain guitars I used the Panama pre, for the cleans the tweed B-man nrm, hope you guys enjoy! :wavey:

jeremyb

Reaction score
Anyone got a decent patch for modern metal tones, thinking After The Burial etc... ?

that short guy

Reaction score
this is the last thing I did with the POD before I bought my Helix. It's using 3 or 4 of my patches in between the guitar and bass. the rhythm tone is the one I posted awhile back and I can't remember if I've ever shared my clean or ambient tone with you guys yet so yeah. I still have the POD and will keep messing with it (especially since I can't get a usable acoustic sound out of my Helix yet lol) but I figured I'd share this with you guys.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/memories-of-aurora/i-am-nothing[/SC]

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
so ive got a couple of decent sounds on my pod hd300 that sound pretty good through computer speakers but the second i record them into reaper they're all treble and like tweaking knobs doesnt do much and changing cabs does very little if nothing at all. am i doing something wrong or is my kajigger faulty or what?

that short guy

Reaction score
so ive got a couple of decent sounds on my pod hd300 that sound pretty good through computer speakers but the second i record them into reaper they're all treble and like tweaking knobs doesnt do much and changing cabs does very little if nothing at all. am i doing something wrong or is my kajigger faulty or what?

When you say computer speakers, do you mean like actual computer speakers or recording monitors that are fairly flat in response?

Because if they're just regular computer speakers they're most likely coloring your tone being played back

Xcaliber

Reaction score
When you say computer speakers, do you mean like actual computer speakers or recording monitors that are fairly flat in response?

Because if they're just regular computer speakers they're most likely coloring your tone being played back

I have the same problem and I'm playing through M-Audio BX8's. Not sure if those color the sound, but they are classified as studio monitors AFAIK.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I have the same problem and I'm playing through M-Audio BX8's. Not sure if those color the sound, but they are classified as studio monitors AFAIK.

Any speaker will color your tone technically, and yes those are studio monitors. I have a pair of BX8a's and the matching SBX10. They're great in my opinion.

pastanator

electronic musician
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

These are the speakers I use for everything. For jamming and writing I run my pod through them through the headphone jack with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. For mixing demos I plug them straight into my laptop's headphone jack. I'm just confused how changing the cab and mic does stuff through the headphone jack but not through usb and playback in reaper

')