Line 6 spider IV smoking, buzzing, no sound

cult-leader-of-djent

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm posting in the right place.

So today I tried to plug a PA into the back of my head and it started smoking. It still turns on but it makes a low buzzing sound. It has the classic smell to it of burnt electronics.:wallbash:

What do you think is wrong?
What could it be?
Is it fixable?

Any support would be great.:squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Explain the "tried to plug a PA into the back of my head" bit in a little more detail. What exactly were you trying to use, and what what output got plugged into what input?

Most likely not fixable if you let the smoke out, though...or at least, not for less than it would cost to just replace.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
If you plugged a cable from the speaker out into a PA that burning is probably your Output transformer. Time for a new amp...

Your amp needs to have the correct load connected to it (guitar speaker cabinet) at all times during operation

Moral of the story; never do something unless you know 100% what you're doing

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
If I'm reading your post at all correctly it sounds like you tried to run your amp's speaker output into a PA, which has a vastly different input impedance than a speaker cab. Chris is probably right, your OT is toast. A tech who's competent with electronics could probably replace it, but it'll probably run you the better part of the amp's original cost.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Spider valves are solid state driven. There is no output transformer. The outputs are direct feeds of FET's ran in parallel. What you smell cooking are FET's and lord knows what other components that failed due to overheating.

The amp is most likely repairable. But you definitely went full retard.

Chris_ONiP

Reaction score
Spider valves are solid state driven. There is no output transformer. The outputs are direct feeds of FET's ran in parallel. What you smell cooking are FET's and lord knows what other components that failed due to overheating.

The amp is most likely repairable. But you definitely went full retard.

Some good news there, but the lesson remains; always connect the correct speaker load to your amp

cult-leader-of-djent

Reaction score
Alright so from what I've read it won't be replaceable, none the less I was an idiot for doing what I did, to justify myself I was trying to somehow play two guitars through it. Obviously, it didn't work.

Could I sell it for parts?
If so how much should I sell it for?

...it set me back, Karma is a bitch.:wallbash:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct. I thought it was strange because I know the spider valves use a quad of 6l6s in the output so I googled it. From the Line 6 website:

Q:.Can I run my Line 6 amplifier without a speaker load (i.e. not connected to a speaker)A: All Line 6 amplifiers (with the exception of the Spider valve series) are safe to run without any speaker load connected. The DT series and Spider Valve series amps **must have a speaker load connected to avoid damage to the output transformer.**

I think he meant Spider IVs are solid state, which they are.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
I think he meant Spider IVs are solid state, which they are.

Ahhhh that's my mistake. People talking about OT's, then read spider valve... skimmed right passed the thread title lol

cult-leader-of-djent

Reaction score
Okay I have an idea. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I want to preform some Frankenstein stuff on my head.

As in pulling it apart and maybe finding out what is bad then hooking the components up to another amp.

Any ideas on this?

Edit: I don't have the knowledge to do this give me some help.

Since it still turns on can't I take out both the right and left out puts and change them with something else. Help shed some light!

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score

As in pulling it apart and maybe finding out what is bad then hooking the components up to another amp.

Any ideas on this?

I'd probably quit while you're behind. What you're proposing may or may not work, but experimenting doesn't seem to be your forte and I'd hate for you to damage anymore of your gear.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
I think you need to step back away from the amplifier and let it rest in peace :lol:

Seriously if you want to dick with circuits not knowing anything about them or how they work you're asking to get hurt or killed. Accept you made a mistake and either have it repaired or recycle it :yesway:

cult-leader-of-djent

Reaction score
Man I wish I could quit but it's my only head. I didn't know the gravity of the situation when I did what I did. After the damage was caused I realized my mistakes. I will gain the knowledge to repair/and or replace, nothing is impossible.

I'm just a boy with a dream and a 7 string lol.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
cult-leader-of-djent said:
Man I wish I could quit but it's my only head. I didn't know the gravity of the situation when I did what I did. After the damage was caused I realized my mistakes. I will gain the knowledge to repair/and or replace, nothing is impossible.

I'm just a boy with a dream and a 7 string lol.

Does the boy have a job, I was without a head for a while, I just worked my ass off for 4 weeks, I'd recemond doing the same.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Overtone

Reaction score
There isn't really much you can salvage… maybe there are some good parts in there, but for the most part amp techs are usually working on tube amps and as such I doubt they or any shop would pay you more than $5-$10 for what you have if they are feeling extra nice. The only thing you can maybe do is keep those parts yourself in case you get another spider and need to replace components on that.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score

Any ideas on this?

Edit: I don't have the knowledge to do this give me some help.

Since it still turns on can't I take out both the right and left out puts and change them with something else. Help shed some light!

Since it's solid-state, I'm not sure what the extent of the damage would be. With a tube amp there's a decent chance it could be "just" the OT and maybe some tubes and fuses, assuming no heat damage to the board or components. Expensive to replace, but limited in scope of damage. Without the OT things change. Potentially replaceable if the board's in decent condition, but who knows... And I wouldn't recommend trying to Frankenstein your head for a number of reasons. It's just a bad idea. At best you might try hooking the effects send (if it has one) into the effects return of another amp and using that amp's power section. If your amp doesn't have an effects loop, you're likely out of luck.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Seriously if you want to dick with circuits not knowing anything about them or how they work you're asking to get hurt or killed. Accept you made a mistake and either have it repaired or recycle it :yesway:

Its not like he had the top open prodding wires. Many people have learned a ton trying different things and figuring out how stuff works. Half of being handy is having the balls to try things

OP you made a mistake, lesson learned at a cost but youll live. Speaker outs are high powered, not line level, dont mix the two.

....and dont let anyone tell you you cant rock the .... out on a spider amp. Legends have been born with much less.

')