Line 6 Variax Shuriken Steve Mackay signature baritone

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziz_SJzHLzc

http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-new...-limited-edition-variax-shuriken-guitar/30540

Variax_Shuriken_1200x628_small_V2.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
This is actually really cool

Steve/band has been one of the only bands to really push the Variax electronics, so it's nice to see that Line 6 is offering him a signature.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Now THIS is cool! Definitely a neat, contemporary re-envisioning of the Variax technology (as Steve said in the video).

Line 6 really needs to upgrade the quality of their modeling, especially in regards to the Variax technology. It's very convenient having the ability to control everything and have so many sounds at your disposal in one guitar when connected to a Line 6 modeler. But it still doesn't sound totally magical.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I always wanted one due to the sitar and banjo modeling. The james tyler models were pretty nice imo.

A-Branger

Reaction score
that headstock is way too similar to the Wasburn Solars, wondering if they didnt got into trouble?

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
the only thing that disappointed me with the variax modeling is the latency when dropping tunings. if that issue is remedied then this will be one hell of a guitar.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Someone school me on these: what does the output go to? Do I run them into a modeler type thing that comes with it, or do I have to get a separate line 6 device?0

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Someone school me on these: what does the output go to? Do I run them into a modeler type thing that comes with it, or do I have to get a separate line 6 device?0

pretty sure it's just going to a pod hd in stevic's demo. if the guitar is anything like the older models it has a usb/cat5 plug and a regular 1/4" jack on it so you can run it direct into a computer or into an amp.

downburst82

Reaction score
pretty sure it's just going to a pod hd in stevic's demo. if the guitar is anything like the older models it has a usb/cat5 plug and a regular 1/4" jack on it so you can run it direct into a computer or into an amp.

Its actually the helix he is playing through. (*edit* your right about it being the pod hd in the older video)

This looks really cool, ive been really interested in the variax tech ever since it came out but ive yet to jump on board. I plan to pick up a Helix sometime this year and I imagine a variax of some sort wont be far behind.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd love one of these. But I'm curious about the tracking as well. I'd specifically want to do the downtuning thing. The octave down D is a semitone above a C# standard 9 string! But I'm seeing a lot of iffy reviews about the palm muting and the heavy sounds in general, so I don't know. I'm not one to be changing sounds and tunings constantly, and I don't play live, so I'm not sure I can rationalize the $1400.

McBrain

Reaction score
Wish they also made a standard scale version with this design. I've wanted a Variax for years, but I hate the design of the regular models. Hiring James Tyler was such a bad decision. Hope this is a sign, that Yamaha will take Variax serious and make some better looking models in the Korean range.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Sounds like they fixed the palm mute issues. The old variax issues had really odd hollow sounding mutes before.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
The tracking issues seem non existent based on the demos that he has done. I see this replacing entire rigs

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
EH, I don't. Same thing with the axe-fx.

Sure some people ditched their analog stuff, but even now you see a ton of dudes with multi-amp setups.

Omerandr

Reaction score
I really hope for a good build quality on these guitars. I think I've found the guitar that will make me go back to a 6 string after 8 years on 7 strings.

')