Line 6 with Rocktron Velocity

• Thread starter samclarke666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

samclarke666

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know this has been asked before but I wouldn't mind a bit of clarification before I take the plunge.

Currently my setup consists of a 6505 into an x3 live. Using the power amp section of the Peavey into the x3. I came upon this by accident but I really love the sound.

Now I want to have the smallest setup possible live. What I'd like to achieve is a floorboard into a power amp, preferably 1u, hence the velocity, but as I'm currently using the tube power amp of the peavey, I'm not sure if the Rocktron will sound a bit rubbish in comparison.

Has anyone got any experience with the velocity 300 using in gain sounds such as the treadplate/engl sim?

Also the x3 isn't mine, would I be worth buying my own, or upgrading to the hd series? I've heard the high gain amps aren't as good...

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I've had the HD500 with a rocktron velocity 300. it sounds fine, and is VERY loud.

The Rocktron isnt very transparent so you'd want to play around with the controls at the front, put them both to about 75% to get that poweramp 'thwump' low end.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Gah, posted this on my old account, for some strange reason - Will be replying on this.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what amp model you heard?

fiveyears

Reaction score
I've had the HD500 with a rocktron velocity 300. it sounds fine, and is VERY loud.

The Rocktron isnt very transparent so you'd want to play around with the controls at the front, put them both to about 75% to get that poweramp 'thwump' low end.

I also have this setup, but am having trouble getting tones I'm satisfied with :(

You put the reactance and definition at 75%?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
around about there, anywhere between the 60% and 80%

Though I sold it to get a matrix GT800FX which was MUCH more transparent, I switched to using the 'full' amps on the HD500 with the matrix to get that extra oommmmffphh I was missing (that's the technical term haha!)

AxeArchangel

Reaction score
I have a Line 6 HD500 and 1U Rocktron Velocity 300 for a week now. Bought the RV300 last week and the HD500 about a month ago. It definitely sounds sweet, smooth, tight, heavy, warm and a bit tube - like when you play around with the Reactance and Definition knobs in the front panel of the RV300. Definitely an upgrade on the HD series (Pro or 500) would be good. I use the Mesa sim a lot and mess around with the ENGL sim recently. Tweaking and exploring the HD500 is really the key to achieve the tone you might want.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Cheers xCaptainx, i'll check that out later!

Think i'll keep with my loaned X3 for now, then upgrade to the HD later on.

Am i right in thinking, if i decide to go direct at a gig, i can change the output to "studio/direct" and it should sort out the tones for DI use, or is there still some tweaking to be done?

samclarke669

Reaction score
around about there, anywhere between the 60% and 80%

Though I sold it to get a matrix GT800FX which was MUCH more transparent, I switched to using the 'full' amps on the HD500 with the matrix to get that extra oommmmffphh I was missing (that's the technical term haha!)

Is the GT800FX Solid state? Just found out they're not much more expensive than Rocktrons, would it be worth, in your opinion, just taking the plunge for one of them instead? I've noticed there's no other knobs apart from volume.

When you say "full amps" do you mean cab sims aswell? I would have thought paired with an actual cab, it'd sound pretty awful!

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
by full I mean the 'amp head' only on the HD, and remove the cab/mic. The matrix is super transparent so any changes you make to the poweramp section in the HD e.g. sag controls, cut through really, really well.

If I were to buy either again, I'd get the Matrix over the Rocktron.

samclarke669

Reaction score
Ah ok, so even without the reactance and definition knobs it still holds its own, tone wise?

Edit:Obviously if i got a tube Power Amp it'd sound better, but i'm really looking for something 1u...

Shask

Reaction score
Does the Matrix have more feel?

I have read that somewhat. I have a SLA-2, which sounds good, but could definitely use some "slowed response" to get more of that thumping feel...

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
The Matrix is completely transparent. The 'feel' comes from tweaking from within the HD500 pre and poweramp sections, it reacts a lot to the sag functionality.

The Rocktron is not transparent, and relies a lot on the two controls it has on the front. I could not get it to sound usable without both of them being set quite high.

I've used both at gigging volumes and I found the matrix provided much more of a 'full' sound, with lots more high end, the engl high end sparkle really cut through, which didn't happen with the Roctron.

Again I'd go Matrix over the Rocktron.

')