Line6 Toneport UX1 or Line6 Gearbox?

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a bit of money on me now. So I could do with some recording software. I haven't used recording software since I left college (about 2 years ago now) So I want to ease myself back into it all. I've been looking at the Line6 toneport UX1 and the Gearbox. What are the pros and cons of the two?

Can other programs like DKFH be used for drum tracks with either of the two?

How are the tones?

Easy to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CGord

Reaction score
I use the Line6 RiffTracker setup. It comes with the GuitarPort, GearBox, & RiffWorks. In this application, RiffWorks is the recording software, & GearBox is the amp modeling software.

Pros are ease of use for n00bs (ME). Cons are the limitations due to the ease of use. Limitations include: unable to import wav or mp3 files, very limited selection of uber-heavy metal drum patterns, & very limited selection of odd time signature patterns (pretty much everything is 4/4).

These are all RiffWorks limitations; the GearBox stuff provides great tones, once you find them (& plan on buying the add-on metal amp pack if you're looking for high-gain stuff). You can download tone patches online for anybody who uploads one, which is very cool.

Eventually I'll want more complicated, flexible recording software, but for now, this suits me well. Check out my clips at Soundclick or Myspace for examples.

Alpo

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by Gearbox, since it is the software used by all Line 6 gear, either to tweak tones on a PC (Pod XT. etc.) or for the actual processing of the sound (Toneport, etc.). I would recommend the Toneport for recording. It has pretty much everything you need: great modeling, a mic preamp, and a good soundcard all in one. The modeling is the same as the Pod XT, it just has fewer amp models.

It's very easy to use. You can get some awesome tones if you're not afraid of playing around with the EQ and other stuff a little. You will still need a sequencer for recording. I would recommend Tracktion 2. It's very easy to learn and use.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by Gearbox, since it is the software used by all Line 6 gear, either to tweak tones on a PC (Pod XT. etc.) or for the actual processing of the sound (Toneport, etc.). I would recommend the Toneport for recording. It has pretty much everything you need: great modeling, a mic preamp, and a good soundcard all in one. The modeling is the same as the Pod XT, it just has fewer amp models.

It's very easy to use. You can get some awesome tones if you're not afraid of playing around with the EQ and other stuff a little. You will still need a sequencer for recording. I would recommend Tracktion 2. It's very easy to learn and use.

Ditto. The UX2 in conjunction with T2 is awesome. This is how I am using it. Note, if you're actually unfortunate enough to be using Vista, you'll need Tracktion 3, since T2 isn't compatible.

')