Linux, worth getting?

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Got a Fedora build on my laptop but haven't spent too much time on it. I went this way because our standard Linux distro for servers at work is RHEL.

I still use windows most of the time. Commercial games & recording software aren't really available on Linux.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What do you mean by that though?
That good technology can fail if it isn't marketed properly? Or that good technology alone isn't enough to replace Windows? Or...?

Mainly that stuff with too specific of a purpose doesn'T fare well in the market.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
I've ditched Ubuntu and Open Suse all togeather for the Mint distro... Mint is great, I've had way less hardware compatability issues with it. And takes less terminal work to get it running how you want to. I'm really impressed so far.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of dual booting Linux but I know I just won't use it much. I've tried Fedora in college and I've tried Ubuntu off a live cd but I can't see myself dumping windows over them for my general use or college work.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I've ditched Ubuntu and Open Suse all togeather for the Mint distro... Mint is great, I've had way less hardware compatability issues with it. And takes less terminal work to get it running how you want to. I'm really impressed so far.

I felt the same way, but now I'm on to nerdier pastures with Slackware - I now recommend plain Debian or Mint for most people I deal with.

Jeff

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I installed Linux a few times on some spare computers, but honestly, I never really found anything to do with it. For my needs, Windows gets the job done :shrug:

Also, what's the point of installing Linux on the PS3? Do you get any extra functionality?

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
You may not notice a lot of issues with Windows until it shits the bed and you've no idea what to do with it - note that I said 'when' and not 'if' - or your system gets compromised somehow.

For the PS3, I'm under the impression that it's just a full-on desktop but I'm not sure.

Jeff

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Also, what's the point of installing Linux on the PS3? Do you get any extra functionality?

Well, it turns your PS3 into a 'regular' PC, rather than just a game machine and CD/DVD/BluRay player.
Sony was selling a linux kit with mouse and keyboard. It was basically aimed at homebrew software development and such.

But if you're not interested in developing software for the PS3, or you already have a regular PC, then it is of little use I suppose.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
You may not notice a lot of issues with Windows until it shits the bed and you've no idea what to do with it - note that I said 'when' and not 'if' - or your system gets compromised somehow.

For the PS3, I'm under the impression that it's just a full-on desktop but I'm not sure.

Jeff

I'm a computer technician, so I deal with Windows all day long :lol: I usually do spring cleaning once a year or so and format and reinstall just to keep things in tip top shape. I don't really get viruses or spyware, and I'm sure you can all guess my surfing habits :lol:

I have 2 computers set up in my room, one is running XP, the other Server 2003. I think a lot of issues with Windows are over stated. Sure, if you have military level secrets to keep and you can't afford a compromise, then sure, run Linux. Personally, if I get a virus or something, I'll just format and reinstall. I doubt any of my games or the software I've become accustomed to will run on Linux.

I don't do any software development, I occasionally run an FTP server on my desktop to trade music and stuff with other people, so I don't really feel the need to switch to Linux, although if given the choice between Linux and Vista, I'd go Linux. I mean, if none of my software is going to work anyways, might as well be secure :lol:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been fixing computers since people were looking forward to Windows 95 and I've gotten the opposite impression about problems being overstated. The fact that people have gotten used to crashes, needing antivirus and antispyware software, and total system wipes is as strong a criticism of Windows as seems to be possible.

Jeff

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, I run AVG, and that's it. I don't really crash, I reboot about once a week. Most people who crash all the time and are over run with spyware probably run Limewire and download anything they can get their hands on.

It's like the gun argument, the OS isn't as much to blame as people's surfing habits :lol:

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
I fixed up a computer for a guy just a few months ago... only had the computer (a studio box that's otherwise never networked) plugged in for a few minutes because the guy who was 'fixing' it needed to download something, and when I came by to clean it up there were more infections than even you could imagine. Even if you don't wind up with too many problems you do need to take precautions, so there is a bit to be said about the OS.

Jeff

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a software developer by profession, and I've various projects over the years, using various flavours of *nix and Windows, with all kinds of tools and languages.

As such I really don't see the argument that people make for software development on linux. It's not like it's better than in Windows, just different. Ironically enough I even use the MSDN help system when developing portable code for *nix, because Microsoft has exceptionally well-written documentation for the standard ANSI C/C++ and STL stuff.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
I dual boot XP and Ubuntu on this older laptop, which I "throw around" and use at work. After getting used to Linux, I've pretty much left the XP for running Reaper only, and now that I got my Macbook Pro, I don't need it even for that. Works like a charm. I recommend you try it out.

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a computer technician, so I deal with Windows all day long :lol: I usually do spring cleaning once a year or so and format and reinstall just to keep things in tip top shape. I don't really get viruses or spyware, and I'm sure you can all guess my surfing habits :lol:

I have 2 computers set up in my room, one is running XP, the other Server 2003. I think a lot of issues with Windows are over stated. Sure, if you have military level secrets to keep and you can't afford a compromise, then sure, run Linux. Personally, if I get a virus or something, I'll just format and reinstall. I doubt any of my games or the software I've become accustomed to will run on Linux.

I don't do any software development, I occasionally run an FTP server on my desktop to trade music and stuff with other people, so I don't really feel the need to switch to Linux, although if given the choice between Linux and Vista, I'd go Linux. I mean, if none of my software is going to work anyways, might as well be secure :lol:
i'm with you on this one. the problem for me is, i'm just tired of the windows UI :lol: but i haven't found anything besides mac os x that keeps my interest...

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Linux isn't "better" for some people, and I'm no MS enthusiast, I just don't prefer Linux to Windows for what I'm doing. For every day regular users, I would still recommend Windows.

garthfluff

Heavy Metal Machine
Reaction score

That's the problem though. You should never just have to 'Format and Reinstall'. JB hit the nail on the head, people have just got so use to this shit that they now think that's how computers run.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
:shrug:

Like I said, I'm not saying "Windows is better", I'm saying for every day regular users, I still wouldn't recommend Linux, unless they absolutely could not afford Windows and were adverse to software piracy :lol:

')