Lip balm - the saviour!

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
So, I had the old problem that many have had with tuning stability on a Lo Pro trem and other locking systems. The guitar is a mint-condition Ibanez UV777, but the strings just would not stay in tune. If I do a dive, they return flat. If I pull up, they go sharp. This has been bugging me for weeks, and no amount of tinkering fixed it until now. Here are the steps I took:
  1. Stretch the strings. No change, problem persists.
  2. Tighten nut. No change, problem persists.
  3. Check nut locking pads. No change, problem persists.
  4. Tightened internal threads on bridge posts using 1.5mm allen key. No change, problem persists.
  5. Bridge parallel to guitar body. No change, problem persists.
  6. Checked springs for foreign objects or obstructions. No change, problem persists.
So at this point, I'm almost giving up. I've read about people using a chapstick to lubricate knife edges but thought that was a bit silly especially as the guitar is mint. So I reluctantly try...I turn the bridge posts 180 degrees and apply a small amount of the missus' lip balm to the posts using a tooth pick. I turn the posts back to their normal position so the knife edges touch the lip balm.

I try the whammy and OMG, the guitar is perfect! Not a cent out, perfect tuning on every string.

I am still struggling to believe this worked but it did. Posted here in case there are others out there like me who doubted this could work. Thanks to the pioneers who came up with the solution..Cheers, J

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
if those posts get grooves, you'll get that problem. The trem doesn't need to be used with dives and bombs for the grooves to grow, the string+spring tension and time do the job. I thin the knife edges are a stronger metal than the posts', so there you have it. Lubricate those and you'll be good to go. So, that's one more thing to add to the check list! Thanks for sharing.

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Glad it's working now. If you didn't get the tip from this site http://www.ibanezrules.com
then this will be a huge help to you in the future. The tech section is gold and Rich is super quick on his responses if something doesn't make sense. He's essentially the Ibanez whisperer.

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
I found the tip a few years ago on ibanezrules.com. It is so small but so helpful.
Yes I read the tip too, many times, but ignored it because I thought it couldn’t apply to what is effectively a new guitar. But it’s GOLD!

lewis

Reaction score
this is why i like trems/bridges where swapping the saddles out for string saver saddles is my preference in the event of problems like this.

I presume the lo pro saddles cant be swapped out?
either way great tip op.

Shask

Reaction score
I have never tried this, but this post makes me want to try it!

Reaction score
this is why i like trems/bridges where swapping the saddles out for string saver saddles is my preference in the event of problems like this.

I presume the lo pro saddles cant be swapped out?
either way great tip op.

If you're speaking of Graphtech's saddles, i think there aren't replacements. Lo Pro saddle design is different than the OFR one, which then can have those replacements.

lewis

Reaction score
If you're speaking of Graphtech's saddles, i think there aren't replacements. Lo Pro saddle design is different than the OFR one, which then can have those replacements.
yeah thats what I thought.

Thats why this fix is very hand for people actually.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try some white lithium grease. Works just as well, but it usually lasts a lot longer between having to re-up.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It’s also super useful for getting the screws back into the neck if you take the neck off (or any other stiff screws).

')