Little more gain on a K7...

• Thread starter meduz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nats

Reaction score
im shocked the BKP KREW havent jumped on this.

2 pages and no mention of:

painkiller
miracle man
warpig
nailbomb

ok then i'll jump... for a mahogany guitar, try the nailbomb. i have one in my s7420. slays

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
blaze custom kicks ass in my mahogany RG7.

you could also replace the volume pot with one of a higher value, this will increase the gain if you essentially like your tone.

IMO emg fanboys aren't so quick to point out that the tonal difference is totally different from going from a passive to an EMG and this largely depends on your taste, rig, and style of music that you play. While I think EMGs are awesome, say with a 5150, in mahogany, with a v30 cab, and this is the most widely used 'core' setup nowadays, this will get you everything from Killswitch Engage to In Flames to BTBAM's tone (notice they're pretty similar). Its certainly a specific sound. EMGs will never sound like passive pickups, but very heavily compressed and distored high output passives can come close to EMGs. If i had money to spare i would just have one guitar with passives and one with EMG's they certainly do totally different things.

If you install an EMG you will need to install an emg for the neck as well and they will be wildly tonally different. (ok you can have two different circuits in theory and then a boost to level out the PAF but they will still sound totally unmatched not to mention will look retarted. this is never done unless someone loves emg's and can't afford to buy two at once or never uses the neck pu). Same goes for blackouts. Only exception to this are sustaniacs, but that is a totally different discussion and those are made to match passives anyway

Passives are definitely, the best way to get the tone to 'match up' with the neck pickup, and i would go out on a limb and say that if you are happy with the neck pu, then chances are a dimarzio will match up with it better than something else

This is not so much of an issue besides that you need to route out for an EMG to put it in. I would suggest either a blackout, higher-gain dimarzio, BKP etc. You can always buy one of these pickups used and spend very little money to figure out what you want. in short: for the love of god don't route your guitar because someone told you that EMG's will give you the sound you want.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
ok then i'll jump... for a mahogany guitar, try the nailbomb. i have one in my s7420. slays

I had nailbombs in my Dean for a while and was pretty underwhelmed.

meduz

Reaction score
This is not so much of an issue besides that you need to route out for an EMG to put it in. I would suggest either a blackout, higher-gain dimarzio, BKP etc. You can always buy one of these pickups used and spend very little money to figure out what you want. in short: for the love of god don't route your guitar because someone told you that EMG's will give you the sound you want.

i will try to collect more informations about nailbomb.
i would like buy a used pickup but in france, you can not find seven's as well...
I will search...
;)

ChrisPcritter

Contributor
Reaction score
Pm'd you. Dimarzio can hook you up with a grey one (special order) on any similar pickups EVO7 BC AN7 but not the X2N or any with a bar type magnet. If you need help getting it, let me know. It's a littlel easier to get here I think....Chris

Nats

Reaction score
I had nailbombs in my Dean for a while and was pretty underwhelmed.

really? how so? all i know for me is that having the NB in that guitar makes me not like the blaze custom in my 1527 even more... and i've been pretty unhappy with that pickup since i got it

meduz

Reaction score
ok, so finally I bought an Emg PA-2 for testing...
not sounding bad, more more gain but too many background noise turning the knob near max position...
the PA2 finally goes to my schecter guitar.

for the fisrt problem, i finally found something not bad...
adjusting little more the pick close the strings and adjusting parameters of my rocktron preamp... the result is finally between Machine Head and Soulfly...
I like it and I prefer not changing pickups to conserve original sounding.

thanks for all

meduz,

')