Little more gain on a K7...

• Thread starter meduz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Honestly, I think an X2N-7 in mahogany is one of the most massive sounding things I have ever heard. Clear, tight, plenty of gain and in single-coil mode it sounds fantastic too. As long as you back off on pickup height it won't get too intense and if you know how to adjust it the dynamics are great, making this a nice, versatile pickup.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
sorry i don t answer.

so, yes i did it...
the pickup is very close the strings.
i ll try to adjust a litlle more .

And what about the pole pieces? You'd be surprised what raising the poles out of the bobbins by a couple millimeters will do.

meduz

Reaction score
ok
edit: i dont understand what you mean for "couple of millimeters" (one - two... more...)
:)

i take my guitar and i comeback

>> actually i get 4mm between B string and pickup plot. (for bridge pickup)

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Well, I actually said a couple millimeters in my post, so try that to start with and go from there.

Reaction score
I agree with Tom....you dont need to go through drastic measures to change the pups without first altering the ones you have in the K7, which by the way i used to own so i know what you are going through....but its a very nice guitar

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
ok
edit: i dont understand what you mean for "couple of millimeters" (one - two... more...)
:)

i take my guitar and i comeback

>> actually i get 4mm between B string and pickup plot. (for bridge pickup)

Ah. A couple generally means two. I raised the pole pieces two mm, maybe a little more, on my Blaze and Blaze Custom pickups, and there was a huge difference. It sounds a lot different than raising the pickups by the same amount.

meduz

Reaction score
ok .
sorry it was an idiot question... (i read too fast)

so i ll try all that you tell me and after i leave feedback (i hope... :) )

Reaction score
And you can also clean up the gain signal to make it stand out more with a BBE Sonic Maximizer which can be purchased in pedal form or 3 different rack variants

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Some would advise against the BBE as some find it to be a tone-sucker. A regular ol' EQ can get you a similar result with more control over the parameters.

K-Roll

Reaction score
Some would advise against the BBE as some find it to be a tone-sucker. A regular ol' EQ can get you a similar result with more control over the parameters.

that's right I have the same opinion on it. I used to have the rack version BBE 442 or whatsoever and it really was just some kind of a 2 par. EQ. And it really sucked as far as electric guitar and usual cabs are concerned. I find it more of a studio application for once's rack gear and processsing. It is built to 'tidy up' the signal route when using usual hi-fi speakers where you have the bass, mid and speaker separated, so that your signal is devided and enhanced once it hits the final stage of its route. But not with usual guitar loudspeakers. I find it a bit of a 'BBE hype' with all the musicians claiming it improves your tone when using live on gigs and at band practice. What I experienced was, that it changed my tube sound to a sucky, dry lifeless hi fi frequency. (using both mesa studio pre and 20/20 poweramp, and later with the 5150 as well.. same results however you tweak it)
which is really great for generic black metal guitarists, whose tone sucks not due to a bad valve amp, but due to their hands.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd recommend a boost over super high output pickups. Low output pickups are so articulate and crunchy :yum:

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
make sure and hit it fretted at the 24th on every string to make sure you havent moved it to close and killed the sustain. i usually raise my high side higher than my low side just so it rings a little more while holding actual chords and playing lighter during scales

DSCN6210.jpg

meduz

Reaction score
ok, so i raise a little more the pickup (maybe a big big millimeter)
at first it seems sound better... more attack...good.

i couldn try with big volume yet ...just in my room for the moment but i think it will be good.

i ll try for real in studio session on next monday.

:D

thx

')