Live performance rates - what do you charge and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
It would be really interesting to hear where you are all living. Certain areas tend to pay more and others pay less. The areas paying less tend to be inverse of what you would expect in my experience.

I live in Alaska. Making flat rates like I mentioned is relatively (last 4 years) new to me, in bands I've mostly been paid off door cover and I think for the most part that is the norm here. Average bar payout on the door is around $500 with a wide variance, but you can push that to $1-2k with a unique, well-promoted event and a higher cover. Average cover now seems to be $10, up from the $5 that was standard for many years.

Playing solo sets in gallery settings has opened up a new realm of opportunities that tend to pay a lot better. It started as a DIY thing, offering to play at First Friday shows of friends with whom I'd established a mutual appreciation of each other's art. That turned into offers from gallery spaces and has kept going from there. Averages $300 for a 2-hour set, sometimes more for more involved projects.

I also do yoga workshops, which varies but tends to average out ~$100/hr for myself and the instructor off a $20 "suggested donation." We both make more money working separately but it's not bad for a DIY gig. People love it, it's a lot of fun and a unique challenge.

Overall I still don't make a ton of money doing this, if I calculated my costs in time and equipment purchases I'm sure it's a net negative, but a few months a year I pay the rent with noise and that feels pretty cool.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
My rates vary on a few things 'Great show', 'Great Experience' & 'Great logistics'.

-Gonna put me on a luxury tourbus, take me to amazing places but play small shows with difficult circumstances? That sounds ok
- Gonna put me in a shitty van, play material that I'm not massively keen on, but have a rabid fanbase in large, well equipped venues? Sounds good
-Am I gonna travel uncomfortably, be frustrated by the lack of space and facilities at the venue and find no joy in the show? You'd better pay me extremely well.

After 30 years of playing live, I'll take staying at home with my family over doing fruitless shows that aren't ticking at least two of my boxes.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Im doing this for the memories, not a few dollars. My job pays well. Music is for fun. Making a few hundred bucks split a few ways to lug around a PA and play other people's music for hours sounds like a chore that's not worth it.
That's a sentiment I can get behind. But then again, you need your expenses somewhat covered, otherwise you'll be the one paying to play a gig.

At my first gigs, I got like 5 drinks that night but as a teen I was stoked to play so I didn't care that much.
I've played at gigs where the money we got was just enough to buy gas and drinks during the night.

Then there was the last band I was in, the other guys wanted to do a free gig. A 2,5hr drive to the venue, on a sunday afternoon, for free. That meant I'd be paying out of my own pocket to play a gig where very few people show up, opening for a gig during dinner time is the worst!
I may not be worth much but I have standards.
I put my foot down and decided that this was the final drop for me to leave the band. (I just got a second baby, long hours at work,.. so band life got too hard to combine)

Now that my kids are older and I have some more free time on my hands, I can totally see myself playing coverbands. Playing songs everyone knows and likes at a local venues and get paid as well sounds great to me. I no longer have the ambition to team up with other people to create new music, then record it, getting it out in the world and hope it gets some traction.

')