Live Rig: Finally decided what I am gonna get

• Thread starter Jeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Well, after years of deliberation (ok, a few days drawing upon my own and others' experiences) I've finally decided what I am going to get. Sort of.

I was going to do the Flextone. I really do like the amp. But there's something missing at higher volumes.

So I asked my buddy who's in a fairly popular local band what he's using these days. Marshall Jubilees, from the 70's. Ok, that's out, obviously. But his lead player is using a Boss floorboard preamp (can't remember which) into a Mesa 2:90, into a 4x12.

Shannon's using a XT Live into a power amp, then cab.

I dig the XT bean I already have. A lot.

So, here's the idea I have:

XT Live, with metal pack -->
BBE Sonic Maximizer -->
Carvin 100w Tube power amp -->
speaker cab

The last one I am not sure on, because I don't know if I want a 2x12 or a 4x12. Any thoughts for one or the other? I really like the compactness of a 2x12, but if 4x12's really needed, then so be it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That sounds like a good plan. If you've already got tones you like from your XT, why mess with that?

I used a Genz Benz G-Flex 212 and it sounds monstrous. You may find it's an ideal compromise... it sounds bigger than the average 212, but won't break your back. And you can fit it in an average-sized car.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
darren said:
That sounds like a good plan. If you've already got tones you like from your XT, why mess with that?

I used a Genz Benz G-Flex 212 and it sounds monstrous. You may find it's an ideal compromise... it sounds bigger than the average 212, but won't break your back. And you can fit it in an average-sized car.

yeah with a 4x12, it simply will not fit in my car. I have a 2004 Sentra SE-R, and it's cool, but zero cargo space.

I'll check out the GenzBenz. I forgot about them.

I am still keeping the XT bean, since I can use it as a backup (direct to PA).

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
The XT Lives are great, I sold so many of them that I ordered one for myself to kick around some. Very cool all-in-one. The GB cabs are great but big. They may not fit either. The Mesa 2x12s are my choice and you can pick these up used for pretty cheap. A bit smaller that the GBs and better sound IMHO. Anyway, good luck!

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I can confirm that this setup will keep you happy, I guess since I am running the same set up, sort of.
Vox Tonelab SE -> Behringer Ultrafex 3200(similar to the BBE)->Peavey Classic 60/60 Stereo Power amp-> 2-Rocktron Velocity 1x12 cabs
I'm currently shopping around for a 4x12, that will sit behind me, and I'll use the 2 112's, seperate them at each end of the stage, to create a nice stereo
effect! Anyway back on topic, what were we talking about again?

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
psyphre said:
I'm curious, why not just get ALL of the Model Packs?

The effects pack is now included for free with the XT Live, and I have no use for the additional "Classic" amp models. For the times I currently use vintage amp models, the stock ones are more than enough not to spend the $50 bucks.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Polaris20 said:
So, here's the idea I have:

XT Live, with metal pack -->
BBE Sonic Maximizer -->
Carvin 100w Tube power amp -->
speaker cab

The last one I am not sure on, because I don't know if I want a 2x12 or a 4x12. Any thoughts for one or the other? I really like the compactness of a 2x12, but if 4x12's really needed, then so be it.

Sounds like a great plan to me! If you wanna check out 2x12 cabs, check out www.earcandycabs.com. Those will be the next cabs I purchase.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
The XT Lives are great, I sold so many of them that I ordered one for myself to kick around some. Very cool all-in-one. The GB cabs are great but big. They may not fit either. The Mesa 2x12s are my choice and you can pick these up used for pretty cheap. A bit smaller that the GBs and better sound IMHO. Anyway, good luck!

How much do you have XT Lives going for? Everywhere I go, they're $400.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Shannon said:
Sounds like a great plan to me! If you wanna check out 2x12 cabs, check out www.earcandycabs.com. Those will be the next cabs I purchase.

Which one were you looking at? They look quite nice, and reasonably priced, for sure.

Solid wood, and not ply? Damn.

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:

Hey there, I can't quote you a price in the forum or L6 will kill me. They have very strict policy crap about posting prices lower than their MAP. Seriously, I can save you a good chunk if you email me about it. I have one left in stock. Thanks!

If anyone else cares, I can beat any L6 price out there on anything except big cabs which I don't sell because of shipping costs. Let me know!

line6quote@ericsguitars.com

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Polaris20 said:
Which one were you looking at? They look quite nice, and reasonably priced, for sure.

Solid wood, and not ply? Damn.

I like the Buzzbombs. They are 16" deep & have an option for porting. Their cabs were specifically designed with low tuning in mind. I've read several reviews on them. They get top marks all the way. You can also call the owner of the company & he'll help you design the cab around the tone you want. In other words, excellent customer service from a custom cab maker. :yesway:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
NegaTiveXero said:

$399 is the going rate, but with my hookup, I got it for $320 out the door. :evil:

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
Hey there, I can't quote you a price in the forum or L6 will kill me. They have very strict policy crap about posting prices lower than their MAP. Seriously, I can save you a good chunk if you email me about it. I have one left in stock. Thanks!

If anyone else cares, I can beat any L6 price out there on anything except big cabs which I don't sell because of shipping costs. Let me know!

line6quote@ericsguitars.com

E-mail sent.

Latest posts

')