Live setup-EQ'ing questions.

• Thread starter Chaplin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chaplin

DKBT
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I guess I'll start off by introducing myself since this is my first post =P. My name is Ryan, I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and in the past year and a half or so I've been in gigging bands.
I'm into hardcore, metal, some deathcore, and a lot of djent <3.
My amps that I have are:
Marshall mg100hdfx halfstack
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h (Old blue head)
Epiphone 4x12 Trigger Cab

I play through them with my Schecter c-1 Hellraiser, but soon I'm trading that for an Ibanez ARZ307.

On June 3rd my band is playing a show with Lionheart, and I've been having trouble figuring out how to EQ mine and the rhythm guitarist's amp to compliment eachother well. Along with the bass amp of course. We're using 7 strings, and we have a hardcore/metalcore sort of sound, with some djenty aspects incorporated.

We're a 6 piece band, with 2 guitarists, 1 bassist, 1 vocalist, 1 drummer, and a synth/keyboardist guy.

My question is, how would I get the best results setting up my amp with the other guitarists amp for something that is heavy but still needs its clarity for small lead passages and chords?
He is running through a 100w valve king I believe. Live, I will probably be using the mg100hdfx halfstack.

TL;DR How do I set up 2 guitar amps and a bass amp to compliment each other well in a live setting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO this s how I EQ:

Bass stays below 5, mids about 6-7, highs about 7. My gain stays about 4 (but I am boosting my tube amp with a TS9). That tends to clear up the muddy lows for me playing metal. Can I ask what pickups you are using? That will make some difference. WHen my band sound checks, we match the bassist to the bass drum, my guitars to the bassist, and the vocals slightly higher, maybe about "lead" volume. But we usually play small places

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the quality of those. However if they are like most ibby pickups, they probably arent great. I am a fan of emgs. I tend to find them a bit bassy. Since your looking at a 7 I would say keep your bass down below 6, mids and treble above that. You dont want to be muddy on the low end; but you dont want the highs to make ears bleed either. But I would experiment a bit with it. I normally eq my amp while the volume is up at playing level since that's what the crowd hears. Hope this helps you a bit. There a ton of guys on here that have loads more experience than me.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Lots of mids, enough bass / treble for the guitars without stepping on the drummers / bassists toes, dial in your gain till you think you have enough... then back it off a little bit.

Prosper.

')