LiveOVErdrive's consolidated build thread

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cnc
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I screwed up and routed a little bit of the cable jack route away. This wasn't really a problem because the bottom of the route was too thin anyway, and would for sure break down the road. I decided to take a template bit and just trim it through. I like it.

IMG_20190307_080911.jpg

Not sure what to do for finish. I originally planned to do a natural finish to show off the set neck and the pretty pine grain. But now I'm thinking a chameleon paint job would look great on those bevels.

Either way there will be a couple coats of epoxy on top of this pine to give a nice substrate and keep the wood from denting every time I touch it.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go for a hybrid approach in the future. Or at least on the next build. I've still got my monster pin router, so I think I'll make body templates on my cnc machine and do the heavy lifting with the pin router.

Necks I'll probably still do on cnc though. It's great for that.

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Multi-scale fretboards/blind fret ends are reasons alone I'd go for CNC. Looks cool.

Bearitone

Reaction score
That body shape is rad!

How do you hold down the neck as you do the final outer contour? Vacuum fixturing? Any chance we can get pictures?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
That body shape is rad!

How do you hold down the neck as you do the final outer contour? Vacuum fixturing? Any chance we can get pictures?

Nothing so fancy. I just leave tabs to hold it in the blank until it's totally done. Then I band saw it out and clean the tabs off by hand (or with a flush trim router bit when possible).

Here it is before trimming.

IMG_20190311_170618.jpg

I decided not to mill the backside into shape and carve it by hand instead. Was having enough fun with the rear bevel on the body I wanted to push it farther. Also I got a new idea for the neck shape and I want to try it.

lewis

Reaction score
That body shape is next level.
Seriously awesome.

I would love a cnc machine

Bearitone

Reaction score
Nothing so fancy. I just leave tabs to hold it in the blank until it's totally done. Then I band saw it out and clean the tabs off by hand (or with a flush trim router bit when possible).

Here it is before trimming.

View attachment 67680

I decided not to mill the backside into shape and carve it by hand instead. Was having enough fun with the rear bevel on the body I wanted to push it farther. Also I got a new idea for the neck shape and I want to try it.

Nice! Interesting work flow. What neck profile were you planning on trying? Trapezoidal? Asymmetrical?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Trimmed the neck. For this I decided to get out my old pin router jig. This was fun, but I made a mistake and got some tearout on the head. I think I can fix it but I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Pretty sure what happened is that I trimmed up the whole thickness at once on the end grain. Need to take much shallower cuts. It's been a while. :)

IMG_20190313_184231.jpg

This is my first set neck and I think I've already learned a few things for the next time. For one, the next time I do a neck angle I'm going to either use an angled template or angle the workpiece on the table when I route it. To do this one I rounded the edges over. This is fine but I think I'd get a better fit with squared up edges.

IMG_20190313_185659.jpg

Regardless, tomorrow morning I can hold a guitar shaped piece of wood in my hands, so that's pretty exciting!

Last edited:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
The torn out headstock was bothering me a lot so I went and fixed it last night.

Missing a big chunk on the left:
IMG_20190313_213541.jpg

So I glued a block in place, and I'll use the top of the headstock as a template to trim it later.
IMG_20190313_214458.jpg

And I'm not sure how good the neck joint is (may not have gotten a tight enough fit in the corners), but the guitar feels GREAT in the hands. This build is supposed to be a practice anyway so I'm trying not to let it bother me too much. If it doesn't turn out great, I'll just build another one.

Latest posts