LiveOVErdrive's consolidated build thread

• Thread starter LiveOVErdrive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cnc
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
That body shape is awesome, and your workflow is interesting and fun to watch. I look forward to seeing this thing come to fruition.

Did I read it right that your fretboard is pine?

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Fretboard is maple. Neck is oak. Body is pine.

Also thanks!
My bad. I actually have really wanted to try making something with oak, it seems like it would be very stable (albeit heavy). I'm interested to hear if it is particularly difficult to work with given its hardness.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
My bad. I actually have really wanted to try making something with oak, it seems like it would be very stable (albeit heavy). I'm interested to hear if it is particularly difficult to work with given its hardness.
It seems fine so far. Supposed to be about as stiff as hard maple. Carves okay. Tearout can get really ugly on oak though.

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Dig the style. Are you carving the neck after doing the glue up?

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
It'll work, I think just different challenges each way. I've found doing the fret work gets tricky on the neck through's so complete that before gluing on the body wings. Same with the set necks, which also gives a chance to test the action height vs bridge to get the right neck angle prior to glue up. Million different ways to do things, I think everyone finds their own path though. Looking forward to seeing this one through.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
Such a sick build! How is the straightness of the neck since it has been worked and had time to rest? Any movement that will be worrisome since your not using a truss rod?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Such a sick build! How is the straightness of the neck since it has been worked and had time to rest? Any movement that will be worrisome since your not using a truss rod?

So far it looks fine, but I haven't shaped it yet. I don't plan on going very thin. Hopefully that'll work out. If not.... Well the wood cost a total of about 17 dollars for this build for a reason, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
The figure in that wood so good that i would have never thought it would be so cheap! Any secret wood buying techniques?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
The figure in that wood so good that i would have never thought it would be so cheap! Any secret wood buying techniques?
Got all this stuff from Menard's (like Home Depot or Lowes). Body is 2x10 construction lumber. Dirt cheap. The oak and maple in this small an amount were very cheap too. At this thickness the oak is about half the price of maple even.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
For the 2x10 (I'm assuming pine) did you have them cut it down from an 8ft board or did you buy the whole thing and now you have 2-3 blanks worth?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
For the 2x10 (I'm assuming pine) did you have them cut it down from an 8ft board or did you buy the whole thing and now you have 2-3 blanks worth?
Grabbed a 4 footer out of the cutoff bin. Getting a full 8 foot would work too. Then I jointed it into a 24"x19" blank. A lot of wasted wood actually, but scrap is always useful.

And yes, southern yellow pine, though it wasn't labeled.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
well, MOSTLY used chisels. A bit of scraping and a bit of sanding block. And just a touch of a rasp but the blades have worked better than that so far.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
well, MOSTLY used chisels. A bit of scraping and a bit of sanding block. And just a touch of a rasp but the blades have worked better than that so far.
Check out the dragon rasp, it's killer, I got rid of all my other rasps besides the shinto rasp because it's so damn good.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Check out the dragon rasp, it's killer, I got rid of all my other rasps besides the shinto rasp because it's so damn good.
I have something like the dragon rasp. Rasps work fine, I just prefer blades because they make chips instead of dust, which bothers my perpetually sweaty hands less. Cut damn fast too. And I get to sharpen them and other such woodworky things.

If I'm gonna not use my cnc machine I may as well go way off the other end :)