Livewire Guitars: Good/bad?

  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
21,233
Reaction score
2,495
Location
Vancouver, BC, Canadia
Whats the word with these guys? I have had a good experience talking to them so far and they seem to have a solid rep on jemsite/ebay. Anyone dealt with them before? I'm probably going to be doing a super awesome swirl project with them soon if everything checks out :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighPotency

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
622
Reaction score
48
Location
Everett, WA
I've heard them be suggested before on here but I don't have personal experience with them.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
I have dealt with them before and was left with a very bad taste in my mouth.

I bought an Ibanez RG7421/7621 hybrid that had custom painted in a chameleon green from an eBay auction.

When I received the guitar it was not in the condition that was as described. The paint job was not the best and the finish was rough in many areas, but I could deal with this.

What was most disappointing was that there had been damage to the guitar during shipping or before it was shipped. The pickups would continually give me electric shocks while plugged in and there had been some physical damage to the volume and tone pots and that area.

As soon as I found out about this I emailed Livewire Guitars and was ASSURED that I would be reimbursed for the damage so that I could have the guitar fixed and keep it. They REQUESTED that I not file any grievances with eBay or Paypal because THEY would resolve it for me. A lesson which is now well learned because they did NONE of this.

After dealing with the bureaucracy of the Australian and USPS, I filed the insurance claim and the Australian Post office acknowledged that there was damage to the guitar and wrote up the report. This was sent to the USPS side for the insurance claim. It was at this point that they started to break their communication. I had to follow them up so many times over months and would not hear back for long periods of time with many emails ignored.

When it got to a stage where I asked whether they had been paid the insurance pay out they claimed that it had been denied months ago and they just never told me or even apologised for not telling me. I asked them for proof that the claim had been denied but they would not give it to me.

So now it has been over a year since I purchased the damaged guitar and I have not seen any reimbursement as promised, I still have my last email unanswered, have been called names, talked down on and lied to.

For me this is the height and definition of bad customer service. I would discourage any dealing with Livewire guitars.

Chris Migdalski

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2007
Messages
107
Reaction score
12
Location
Port St. John, FL
I just found out that there shop is only 10 minutes south of me here Florida...I spoke to him on the phone over the weekend and I think I'm going to go ahead and submit my Ibanez 2228 presige 8 string for a dip in the Ol' swirl..

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
1,719
Reaction score
517
Location
Phoenix, AZ
I've been talking with Michael about a possible project these past couple days via phone & email, and communication has been amazing. Seems like a really nice guy, and certainly seems passionate about what he does. Of course, that's how it ALWAYS is in the courtship phase.

I don't have any experience (yet) with his actual work quality, business ethics, etc. Like you, I'm still in the "considering" stage, so you and I should keep in touch, heh.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
If you would like to see some photos of the workmanship on the finish of my guitar let me know.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
2,932
Reaction score
656
Location
Memphis, TN
^ Do it, cause I've been in talks as well.

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Joined
Jan 14, 2012
Messages
156
Reaction score
75
Location
"Cocoa Beach, FL" US
This person bought a guitar from me over a year ago. He claimed there was damage in shipping so I filed an insurance claim. It was denied and so was my appeal. I then received threats from him stating he would be "taking action". This is it I'm guessing. So while he would like to place an attack on my shop and my character, I ask that each of you considering hiring me formulate your opinion of me and my work based on facts and not the ramblings of a dishonest person who made threats to do exactly what hes doing now. I have several emails with this person, an will gladly post them here for all to see. In fact, I have screen shots I saved of him bragging right here about how he was going to get a "free" guitar for his birthday. At one point, another ss.org member even chastised him and stated it was "bad karma" to do what he was doing. This transaction was a nightmare for me and I did everything I could to appease him but the USPS stated there was no visible damage TWICE and I have those copies of the reports as well. I feel I have no other choice but to defend myself as these are out and out LIES. I didn't get where I am today by lying, cheating and stealing. I'm going to post the screen shots right here. OR you could just look them up. They're in HIS own post history.

The only person talking down to someone was HIM, threatening me for not giving him his full refund.....

Here's the messages from August, just one of the lies hes telling......

From: rcsierra13
To: livewireguitars
Subject: rcsierra13 has sent a message
Sent Date: Aug-13-12 23:57:30 PDT

Dear livewireguitars,

I cannot believe that it has been 3 last since you last sent me a reply and close to a year since this transaction took place. This will be the last chance I give you to rectify the situation, as you promised me you would, before I take action.

- rcsierra13

From: livewireguitars
To: rcsierra13
Subject: Re: rcsierra13 has sent a message
Sent Date: Aug-14-12 07:39:36 PDT

Dear rcsierra13,

I don't know why you're threatening me. I did everything I could to help you. The claim was denied twice due to insufficient visible damage. I have no way of knowing for certain exactly what is wrong with the guitar and you have made no effort to prove to me that there was damage. I saw you bragging about the guitar on the forums with no mention of any damage. Why you think threats will get you anywhere I have no idea. You have made no attempt to prove damage. Why don't we start there.

- livewireguitars

I'd first like to know who it is I am conversing with as I have dealt with a number of different people.

- rcsierra13
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

This is the last I heard from him. Had he made ANY attempt to send pictures he would have been compensated. He sent nothing after this. It's just me and my wife here so I don't know where he got that he dealt with several people. Not once have I heard him say that he would like to send pictures. I'm sorry, but in this business there are too many people who attempt to defraud sellers and it is customary to request photos of any damage. He provided nothing. I don't know of anyone who would just give someone 100% of their money AND let them keep the guitar with no proof of damage.

I'll be posting the screen shots in the morning as they're on my computer at work..............

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
1,481
Reaction score
2,807
Location
Alberta
I've got a RGD2127 project I'm gonna hand to them next year, very excited. His work seems really good, and from what I hear he can do a lot more than just swirls - fretboard dying, etc. Looking forward to it.

michael777

Livewire Guitars,LLC
Joined
Jan 14, 2012
Messages
156
Reaction score
75
Location
"Cocoa Beach, FL" US
From: livewireguitars
To: rcsierra13
Sent Date: May-11-12 04:34:20 PDT

Dear rcsierra13,

I tried to file a claim but was denied due to the nature of the damage not meeting the amount of the claim. I would be glad to help. What would you like? A new tone pot and the tools to replace it? Wasn't that the problem? I would be glad to help you, tell me what you would like for me to do.

- livewireguitars

Here's the message where I informed him the claim was denied so that was a lie he told as well. He never responded with specifics or photos of the damage, just that he wanted ALL the money for the guitar

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
44,503
Reaction score
50,016
Location
Racine, WI
[...]

So now it has been over a year since I purchased the damaged guitar and I have not seen any reimbursement as promised, I still have my last email unanswered, have been called names, talked down o\and lied to.

For me this is the height and definition of bad customer service. I would discourage any dealing with Livewire guitars.

After reading what you said in the NGD you posted, as well as the e-mails provided by Livewire, I honestly don't think you have a valid claim, as well as lack a fundamental understanding of how shipping insurance works.

Sorry, just calling it how I see it based on many similar cases I've dealt with in the past regarding items I've sold/sent as well as bought/received.

Insurance is NOT meant to award what's called a "bonanza", to put it simply you're not meant to get your cake and eat it too. It's meant to "make you whole" and not a bit more, and usually a little less. You were never entitled to a free guitar, just either the item you were promised (which would mean replacement of any faulty/broken parts) or your cash back after you returned the instrument. It's not the shipper's job to ensure the item was as described, that was eBay's job.

If you were genuinely unhappy, you should have arranged a refund via eBay.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
There are many issues that have been raised here and I intended to address every one of them to clear up the issue that I am a 'liar' or a scammer as I have maintained a stellar reputation on this forum. I will be completing a full write up with evidence ASAP.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
So I think I can answer quite a few of these allegations with simple screen shots of the correspondence.

Firstly, despite being young I am aware how insurance works and did in no way believe it to be a 'bonanza'. I would have been happy to simply have my cake as it were. But as seen below in this email with Katie of Livewire Guitars, as soon as I brought to the attention the defects I was EXPRESSLY told that I would be remunerated what I had paid. Let me say that again EXPRESSLY.

Livewire1.jpg

As I am a fair guy, I figured that I would give them all benefit of the doubt and allow them to rectify the situation before proceeding with any action through Paypal or eBay. But MaxOfMetal you are right, I should have taken this up with eBay, and I have since learnt my lesson.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
Things started to get a bit more confrontational when I no longer was contacted by Katie.

Not once was I asked for photos of the damage to the guitar by Livewire Guitars. At one point I was accused of not proving myself, despite having filed an insurance claim that INCLUDED photographic evidence.

I had to file the insurance claim on my end with the Australian Post Office so that the USPS could issue the insurance. I took the guitar into the closest Aus Post business centre that had a regional manager that dealt with insurance claims, then inspected AND assessed the guitar as having been damaged. He then took photographs of the guitar and packaging (which I still have) and completed the report.

Livewire2-1.jpg

I am not sure where Livewire are getting this idea that I am trying to scam them or lie about the guitar as I complied the whole way, taking the guitar to be assessed and inspectioned at the official Aus Post office. In the above screen shot Livewire guitars clearly concede that there is damage to the guitar. This insurance claim, which quite clearly made it through to the USPS, should clarify that it is not a scam.

I am assuming that these accusations of being a scammer and a liar are merely a defence mechanism. But for a business to do this where customer service is king I would hope for more professionalism.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
Again let me point out "Don't worry, I will make sure you are compensated"

And let me also point out that I just wanted this guitar fixed so that I could play it because lets face it, the RG7621 neck is quite possibly the most comfortable mass production 7 string neck! :D

"...so that I can get this guitar fixed."

I never stated that I wanted the total amount I paid for the guitar... just enough to fix it.

Livewire3.png

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
Wonder why I was under the impression that I would be remunerated for a damaged guitar?

"You will have your compensation shortly."

Livewire4.jpg

I have to point out that Katie was a pleasure to deal with and because of this I truly believed that I would have the issued compensation.

At this time it was around Christmas, about 3 months after having received the guitar. It was a busy period of AUS Post and the USPS so I was a bit more patient in regards to getting it resolved.

rcsierra13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
550
Reaction score
94
Location
Melbourne
So between the last message above was quite a period of radio silence. I sent a number of emails inquiring what was happening with the claim, what the status was, where the compensation was etc... hearing nothing until highlighted below: "11-May-12"

This is when I first get knowledge that the claim was denied or even a reply, despite my periodic questioning of the status.

livewire6.jpg

The person who replied (I am assuming it is not Katie any longer as the layout of the message is different and not signed as she did) asks what I would like them to do.

As I am no luthier nor guitar tech I sent back a reply saying that it would only be fair if I took it to a tech to have it assessed for damage and use the quote as a price to go by to have it fixed. I do not get a reply to this.

Yet again as evidenced in the above screen shot, I do not insist on payment for anything unfair (even when I have been promised postage + initial price). All I ask is "... compensation so that I can get this guitar into working order..."

I would welcome it if someone could please explain to me how this makes me a scammer, liar or cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
')